Hornby 2020 range announcements

AY Mod

1 hour ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

The Coronation Scot RKs were a block of six, 30084-89,of the D1912 design specially prepared in blue livery for use in the train.They were taken from the lot built by Gloucester RCW in 1936/7

According to the caption of a picture of the Coronation Scot version in Jenkison and Essery's LMS Coaches - An  Illustrated History

"The general service version showed no significant external differences except for the livery"

Hopefully Hornby will do a series of liveries covering their lifetime from 1936 to 1965. I could be tempted by Blood and Custard or BR Maroon.

Definitely- I reckon this is a particularly smart bit of work by Hornby- I'd be frankly amazed if we don't see the Coronation Scot releases followed up with the more 'workaday' LMS & BR livery variations for the same basic vehicles in next years catalogue and beyond. Even if you don't particularly want or need a 9-car named WCML express in a fancy livery, this is a useful boost to Hornby's core LMS/LMR coach range

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Nothing revolutionary about it.

It’s just normal analogue DC control of a layout, via an app and using individual layout section controllers.

There’s no individual control of trains and almost all, if not all, of the downsides of using DC, still pertain.

Now before I say any more, please note that from various quotes in this thread, it’s apparent that there is some confusion over...

BlueRail Trains (an American company) and

blueRailways ( a British company).

The former (BlueRail Trains) is a wireless digital control system that communicates directly with each individual loco or train.

There are no controllers nor any Command Station involved, other than the free control app that runs on a smartphone or tablet.

There are no line side boxes to buy.

Individual locos and trains are controlled wirelessly, direct from a smartphone or tablet, direct to the loco or train.

Power is via fixed voltage DC or DCC to the track, or with an adapter, on-board batteries.

It is now, in its 2nd generation form, fully compatible with DCC and DCC sound decoders. A known sound decoder manufacturer is shortly to launch DCC sound decoders with the Bluetooth receivers already built-in on board.

It could be seen as a form of progression beyond DCC.

The latter ( blueRailways) is wireless control of a bog standard DC layout.

There is no individual control of trains and it continues to “drive the track” and not the trains.

It requires proprietary trackside modules to be purchased and wired up.

It requires section switching etc.

There is almost no technological advancement here, other than being able to use a phone or tablet as a DC controller.

Hornby appear to have copied or licenced the blueRailways analogue system, or a similar product.

I personally can’t see it being of much use to diehard DC operators, but it might have some “kerbside appeal” if it’s included in trainsets.

Unfortunately, Hornby have had a very checkered record when it comes to adopting new technology, often backing blind alleys.

You are obviously aware of the difference.

What does this new Hornby product offer you?

I beg to differ. Nothing stunning.

Its as if Zanussi, AEG, Bosch et al, put all their combined efforts into using new technology........to recreate the scrubbing board and mangle.

Spot on.

That made me chuckle. Spot on though.

What a wasted opportunity. 

Ron

I tend to disagree with most of this. I think this will prove to be very popular. The ability to control a conventional DC layout with remote, wireless control will appeal to many. I have one friend, for instance who is already exited at the prospect of being able to walk around his very large layout without being hampered by a long lead hand held controller.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

There are one or two potential items of Western Region wagonry although I do wonder above the colour of the lettering and the 1964 style 'framed' 'XP' on the horsebox and yet again they've got the WR period colour of the Shunters' Truck and it's lettering wrong  - I'd best tip-off Islesy on that one in case there's time to alter it.  

Pictures of two ex GW horse boxes painted thus on p17 of David Larkin's "BR Parcels and Passenger Rated Stock" Vol 2, i.e. with the XP enclosed in a box but not the other writing.  One dated 1949 shows W403 (no suffix) and the other (undated) shows W425W.  The pictures are black & white so don't show the colour of the lettering.  If it was me, I'd paint the ends black.

4 minutes ago, eldomtom2 said:

Surprised there's no 47606 in the Limited Editions - it's an iconic model and like Smokey Joe would provide a cheaper collectors' item.

That one surprised me as well- the two items I'd have expected to be a complete no-brainer given their history in the Hornby and Triang ranges were a Princess Elizabeth and a BR lined-black Jinty as 47606. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, JohnR said:

I'm sure I saw a slide which mentioned it as a when bought with offer, and a list of R numbers which qualified? Yet its not there - @AY Mod ?

You did; I removed it as it only related to retailers who were ordering the products at the trade event to take advantage of so it may have caused wider confusion.

The products were:
R3881, R3886, R3887, R3902, R3916, R3919, R3920, R3921, R3922, R3923, R3940, R3950, R3950A and R3951

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

I tend to disagree with most of this. I think this will prove to be very popular. The ability to control a conventional DC layout with remote, wireless control will appeal to many. I have one friend, for instance who is already exited at the prospect of being able to walk around his very large layout without being hampered by a long lead hand held controller.

Agreed, it needs to be seen for what it is. I can’t disagree with the obvious technological advancement of blue rail however this will have its place as basically untethered DC.

DCC, as popular as it is, hasn’t conquered the world just yet. Plenty of DC users out there for this to benefit, and not all them of the older generation.

Not all those ‘cheap’ 66s will end up with decoders in them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

5 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

Hi,

I think it only allows a maximum of 12 points or other accessories.

I haven't found a mention of whether it can cope with trains being driven from one track to another.

Regards 

Nick

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Maybe Hornby think that anyone who watched Amazon's 'Carnival Row' want Steampunk trains to play with ready for Season 2...if they ever make it :jester:

See that's completely flown over my head , probably demonstrating the point

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, 1whitemoor said:

15 pages of conjecture and nobody seems to notice or pass comment on this: There is not one new or newly re-tooled wagon of any kind for 2020

For me that's a huge miss. 

Paul A. 

There’s probably not enough mazak and plastic left in China for anything else!

• Funny 2

12 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

Wireless handsets for DC.

That’s great, but how big is the market for that?
I still think they’ve missed a trick here.

From a Hornby survival point of view this looks like a serious gamble on the Collectors market, don't you think?

Apart from the collectors items there's a lot of odd-ball stuff which some people are very excited about but may have a rather restricted market.

It will probably sell OK provided they don't make too much of any one item.

But there's not a huge amount of bread-and-butter items for the lowly occasional part-time hobby modeller like so many of us.

Fair enough, you could say there is plenty already on the market, especially the nearly-new market to keep us going,

This feels like Hornby is taking a risk here.  If it works it could set them back on the road to financial success.

But the collectors will need to bite seriously deeply this year for that to happen.

Hope they are right.

Fingers crossed for Hornby in 2020.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

On the subject of Rocket, can anyone explain what the difference is between the regular range train pack version and the limited edition "Tri-ang" version? From the photos, they look much the same to me, the only difference is that with the latter you're paying an additional tenner for a retro-looking box and a certificate. Which seems a little pointless, to me.

Having said that, from my limited knowledge of the extreme end of the collector market (gleaned, if I'm honest, from watching James May on TV). a decent box is worth a lot more than a tenner. So maybe this one is a bargain!

I think it is the box , but I have gone for it as I remember the Tri-ang boxes of old . Hopefully I'll get the same excitement and joy opening this one up

43 minutes ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

I model the 1980s

Surprised they do not do a class 31/4 and a few more blue class 56s. Perhaps 56036 in large logo.

I think these would sell well for them.

A blue 31/4 with central or offset headlight or no headlight at all would sell extremely well. It’s a mystery how one hasn’t been produced. They have the tooling for the headlight versions. Its a no brainier. Just like the Br Blue class 56’s. 3 have been produced in the super detailed incarnation. 013, 082 and 083. All sell for big money on that internet auction site. A Br Blue large logo super detailed 56 is even rarer. Only 56084 has been produced. This also goes for good money. Was hoping for one of these to go with the soon to arrive Accurascale Cawood PFA’s. A classic combination! 
 All the above are open goals for Hornby. They can’t miss. But for years now, unbelievably they have.

Edited by 66738
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4

2 minutes ago, Legend said:

I think it is the box , but I have gone for it as I remember the Tri-ang boxes of old . Hopefully I'll get the same excitement and joy opening this one up

Different coach names a limited edition certificate plus a chance to win a seat in the main line pullman anniversary train.

44 minutes ago, Legend said:

But if not , shouldn't it be HO ?     Also puzzled by this choice . Did it run in UK in this colour scheme ? While he has gone off on one , now the dust is settling on the new announcements I can sort of see where Denbridge is  coming from . Its not a balanced range . However I think what he is underestimating is the strength of the grey pound . People will buy tinplate trains because its Hornby and a Collectors Issue . I've just bought a Rocket presentation set , so I suppose I'm the greyish pound .  And frankly there's a lot in there to interest me, especially an APT launched in a logical manner of models and not the make it up on back of envelope approach .  I think also that Hornby maybe have got stung making black 0-6-0s that sit on shelf and as I predicted have gone back to large steamers . I had though an A4 fronted P2 so I got that bit wrong . I do wonder at the choice of Thompson Pacifics . There will be some that need them for their East Coast fleet but these must be relatively few and they are not exactly graceful looking models that will fire the imagination of the casual modeller , in the way that Stephensons Rocket does .

I suspect this year was never going to see a 'balanced' range, and with the anniversary we were always going to get a lot of 'glamour' items like Rocket, 'Hush-Hush', APT etc. at the expense of more 'bread and butter' new releases. This year is maybe more about hitting the collectors market with some fairly big-ticket showstoppers, some of which probably won't be reappearing in the range for a while, and more normal service will be resumed for the 2021 catalogue.

7 minutes ago, Forester said:

From a Hornby survival point of view this looks like a serious gamble on the Collectors market, don't you think? ......

It’s certainly a bold move.

I wonder if there’s a lot more of reinvigorating the brand than actual substance, particularly with the limited editions.

With limited runs of 500, 1000, 1500, 2000 and 100 only, in the case of the crude tinplate.

How much will the margins be on these items and is there enough volume to actually contribute anything significant to the bottom line?

It certainly detracts from the bread and butter stuff, which must be far more important to Hornby in terms of revenue?

Still some nice newly tooled items and few few re-liveries are going on my shopping list.

Ron 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 66738 said:

A blue 31/4 with central or offset headlight or no headlight at all would sell extremely well. It’s a mystery how one hasn’t been produced. They have the tooling for the headlight versions. Its a no brainier. Just like the Br Blue class 56’s. 3 have been produced in the super detailed incarnation. 013, 082 and 083. All sell for big money on that internet auction site. A Br Blue large logo super detailed 56 is even rarer. Only 56084 has been produced. This also goes for good money. Was hoping for one of these to go with the soon to arrive Accurascale Cawood PFA’s. A classic combination! 
 All the above are open goals for Hornby. They can’t miss. But for years now, unbelievably they have.

Agree totally. I follow the prices and availability on that internet auction site as well. As you say, Hornby never fail to miss.

Stick a white stripe on one of the 31/4s as well - it would fly off the shelves. 

I wish them commercial success, perhaps they are more switched on when it come to other segments.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Invicta said:

Definitely- I reckon this is a particularly smart bit of work by Hornby- I'd be frankly amazed if we don't see the Coronation Scot releases followed up with the more 'workaday' LMS & BR livery variations for the same basic vehicles in next years catalogue and beyond. Even if you don't particularly want or need a 9-car named WCML express in a fancy livery, this is a useful boost to Hornby's core LMS/LMR coach range

My take is that the 42-seat RTO reworked without the Pressure Ventilation equipment and a 56-seat interior would be a no-brainer. The LMS had thousands of TOs and the only one done RTR so far was the Replica Railways D1915. The diagram that the Coronation Scot version was derived from lasted almost 30 years in service in three different liveries 

• Agree 4

27 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

I think Hornby have done this before (wireless handsets) as part of the Thomas range.

• Administrators
Just now, d&h said:

I think Hornby have done this before (wireless handsets) as part of the Thomas range.

They were radio controlled and a bit rubbish. This looks much more sophisticated and not that much more expensive.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

I’m very interested in this, having a fleet of DC locos operating on a smallish BLT.  I’d absolutely agree that DCC offers many advantages over DC, but I cannot pay the asking price; good luck to you if you can!  I suspect there are a good number of modellers  in a similar position to me, though we own a disproportionately low number of locos and controllable accessories.   The control systems available to us are very good, but there has been no advance in them for a very long time, presumably because there was never the demand in volume for this.  They depend, as they always did, on controllers wired to the track, which means that even hand held units are wired to the layout. 

There are systems in which you can unplug your handheld controller and leave your train running at whatever setting it was on when you unplugged it and plug back in at another point on the layout to regain control, common on very large layouts at one time. 

But, as I understand it, this system is a departure from this, and relies on a control unit wired to the track in the conventional way, but with the actual control functions located on a smartphone or tablet which is connected to the control unit not by a tether cable or even plug in points, but by NFC/Bluetooth.  This means that DC operation can for the first time be fully ‘wireless’ in the sense of being physically untethered and full, continuous, uninterrupted control of the train retained.  

Now this, by anyone’s standard, is a major breakthrough in DC control methods, though the basic technology is still the same.   It is also inexpensive compared to the cost of DCC or even a handheld analogue controller, until you factor in the cost of the smartphone/tablet.  

My view is that the cost of the smartphone/tablet can be ignored as I have a smartphone anyway and the only extra cost after the unit is purchased is the tiny amount of extra electricity used in more frequent recharging of the smartphone/tablet.   Once the free app is downloaded, that’s it; no chips or anything nside the loco or any other wiring up.  

Sounds like a flyer to me!  What trick has been mssed?

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 4
  • Agree 5