Hornby 2020 range announcements

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Pandora said:

The 0-4-0 tender locos  in tinplate  have a  numberplate on the cabside  reading  2710,  can anyone post the reason for the significance of the number 2710 as applicable to the models,  I could understand  a number such as 2020 or 1920 being the year of introduction or  the 100 year anniversary of the tinplate locos,  but why 2710?

As the original "Hornby Clockwork Train" released by Meccano in 1920 had the number 2710

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

1 hour ago, Invicta said:

That one surprised me as well- the two items I'd have expected to be a complete no-brainer given their history in the Hornby and Triang ranges were a Princess Elizabeth and a BR lined-black Jinty as 47606. 

Agree, and if they had done a BR Green L1 too, that would cover the first three locos I ever owned !

• Friendly/supportive 1

8 minutes ago, caradoc said:

Agree, and if they had done a BR Green L1 too, that would cover the first three locos I ever owned !

Never had an L1, but the Jinty and Princess were the first two I ever owned, and still have tucked away in a drawer, even though they've probably not been run in 30 years

• RMweb Gold

18 pages in 8 hours??

To save me read through it all, would it be safe to summarise the posts as follows:

"Nothing in it for me"

"What a load of rubbish Hornby, you're crap"

"Wow Hornby, you're amazing and I want your babies"

"Meh".

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 14

8 hours ago, JohnR said:

Terrier in LSWR? I'll have one - will go well with Hattons coaches.

Agreed but the LSWR 4 & 6 wheel  coaches are not in first batch from Hattons. 
I already have the Terrier in LSWR livery but can’t remember when I bought it!

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, scoobyra said:

The sliding door MK3s have the Oxford Rail Chassis Graham, so you may be right.

No, they don’t! They are nothing to do with Oxford.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

35 minutes ago, wirey33 said:

If they are trying to capture what is a tiny, tiny market (Hungarians, who model current day operations, who are willing to have mixed gauge models), they might have been better to try it out with one of the old tooling Hornby 86 or Lima 87s.

It's certainly an interesting livery but I fear it'll still be on the shelves many months after release; something that wouldn't happen with a Large Logo class 56. And if you're chasing cash flow.../

..or are they trying to capture a different market- collectors who want every single livery variation  ever seen on a 56?

It's certainly a brave one, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it in the bargain bins in months to come. Equally, I won't be that surprised to see them popping up fairly regularly on UK TMD layouts under 'Rule 1'...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Wow that's quite a broad announcement - and so many people saying they love it (and one strange rant but we'll ignore that). Personally I'll be sticking to my Cavalex 91 order (no current plans to get any Mk4s, just the 91). I was very glad that I didn't put my name down for a DJH APT. Will I be able to resist a Hornby one? Probably not...!!!!

For me it's a pleasant surprise to not see too much GW stuff - not everyone worships them (tee hee!). Some of the more unusual and unique LNER stuff is great to see. Not my era (but then nor is the 91 or APT) and I'm not overly interested in RTR but I'm still very interestedin the APT. Any word on specs (tilting etc.)?

I wish them much success - they deserve it.

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

I’m very interested in this, having a fleet of DC locos operating on a smallish BLT.  I’d absolutely agree that DCC offers many advantages over DC, but I cannot pay the asking price; good luck to you if you can!  I suspect there are a good number of modellers  in a similar position to me, though we own a disproportionately low number of locos and controllable accessories.   The control systems available to us are very good, but there has been no advance in them for a very long time, presumably because there was never the demand in volume for this.  They depend, as they always did, on controllers wired to the track, which means that even hand held units are wired to the layout. 

There are systems in which you can unplug your handheld controller and leave your train running at whatever setting it was on when you unplugged it and plug back in at another point on the layout to regain control, common on very large layouts at one time. 

But, as I understand it, this system is a departure from this, and relies on a control unit wired to the track in the conventional way, but with the actual control functions located on a smartphone or tablet which is connected to the control unit not by a tether cable or even plug in points, but by NFC/Bluetooth.  This means that DC operation can for the first time be fully ‘wireless’ in the sense of being physically untethered and full, continuous, uninterrupted control of the train retained.  

Now this, by anyone’s standard, is a major breakthrough in DC control methods, though the basic technology is still the same.   It is also inexpensive compared to the cost of DCC or even a handheld analogue controller, until you factor in the cost of the smartphone/tablet.  

My view is that the cost of the smartphone/tablet can be ignored as I have a smartphone anyway and the only extra cost after the unit is purchased is the tiny amount of extra electricity used in more frequent recharging of the smartphone/tablet.   Once the free app is downloaded, that’s it; no chips or anything nside the loco or any other wiring up.  

Sounds like a flyer to me!  What trick has been mssed?

Hi,

As has been pointed out to me its not the first system to do this.

It uses Bluetooth, NFC only has a range of 100mm or so.

There is a maximum of 12 points or other accessories per smartphone.

Regards

Nick

Interesting!

I suspect that clutch of new LNER heavy locos represents some of the evidence of Mr Kohler's return to Margate. I wonder if Hornby might stretch themselves as far as fitting bogie wheels that have a realistic Doncaster look rather than the Honby-generic appearance, along with some fully three-dimensional valve gear parts rather than thin pieces of stamped sheet-metal? Will the different motion bracket faces for the A2/2 and A2/3 be provided, or the same style for both? Quite rightly, you'll still have to do some honest model making work if you want an A2/1 of course! 

I'm highly unlikely to ever wear out my recently renewed mould for resin W1 cabs and fireboxes to suit A4 conversions now. I might even be tempted to get an original "galloping sausage" 10000 myself, if the financial terms ever seem acceptable.

Next products of Mr Kohler's influence? P2/2s wouldn't surprise me at all, eventually.....

• Friendly/supportive 1

Absolutely nothing there of real interest for me ( Early and BR Blue Diesels), but perhaps just as well as I have already spent my cash on what I consider to be higher quality offerings from SLW and Accurascale..... oh how many more days can it possibly be until my shiny new Deltic arrives ????

8 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

Wow,

Hush Hush and 78xxx are almost mandatory for me.

I do not need but I want a new APT

Gutted for Cavalex though with the 91 :(

Edited for accuracy, I hope you dont mind. ^_^

It wasn’t strictly the Meccano company’s first toy train, but I think it was the first to carry the ‘Hornby’ name.

The number is something faintly random like the ‘phone number of Binn’s Road office IIRC.

5DFCCA57-49B8-441C-B432-926939DFBD66.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, classy52 said:

Well there goes my budget on the Yellow stuff & finally DRS coaches...must say well done Hornby on a really good 2020 range but a re-tool on the Class 50 & Class 56 would have been welcome but one for the future we hope.

Certainly a re-tool of the Class 50 is overdue - sadly, Hornby never got the window 'droop' correct, with the windows being 'flat' rather than angled, which spoils the front end somewhat. I feel there is an opportunity for someone here?

• Agree 1