Hornby 2020 range announcements

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, gc4946 said:

Could Stephenson's Rocket train packs lead to a resurgence of interest in modelling early railways (Era 1)?

I remember perusing through 60s model railway magazines and seeing how inventive modellers were recreating that era using Triang's models. 

Locos and rolling stock were smaller and shorter and it's possible to run an authentic length train in limited space. 

If Hornby follows up with open carriages and wagons then they have another niche to their own.

There's clearly no market for RTR very early railways. Just like 009.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, newbryford said:

But let's be honest here.

There is one spectacular post that fulfils the first two.

Quite possibly the most entertaining "nothing in it for me" post in the many years I've been reading whole history of RMW.

Unsurprisingly the writer of the post you refer to has quite rightly been binned (or something similar!). :banned:

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

They’ve escaped most people’s notice, because they have very limited appeal to most DC users and probably, absolutely no use whatsoever to someone running DCC.

It appears than John and his chums find it useful, on what I take to be a club, DC operated layout.

I’m sure a few other people will find it of genuine use too.

It's a cheap cordless walk-about DC controller.

I'm not convinced the lack of awareness is due to very limited appeal, and clearly Hornby don't think it's a niche market either or they wouldn't be bothering.

I could easily see train sets coming out with this in the future rather than a traditional controller.

• Like 1

Interesting set of announcements which as usual has generated more heat than the impending thermonuclear spat in Iran.

The APT is interesting.  I could be tempted, but the timing makes me wonder if it was intended not just to celebrate their previous headline model of the 1970s, but also as a marker to the erstwhile DJM project that was announced I suspect about the time a decision to go on this model would have been made by Hornby, that Hornby saw this as "their territory"?  In the end, of course things turned out very differently and no doubt Hornby will make a success of this model, and it is a natural contender for a 100 year anniversary model as the original version was ground breaking at it's launch.

The IC DVT: About time.  I've got one of the originals and am terrified of damaging or losing it as the cost of a replacement from the Bay of Thief is ridiculous.  Even at 75 Sovs RRP it's a fraction of the price they fetched (up until 9am this morning...) on that website.  I will be investing in one for a second rake.

Coronation Scot.  Didn't see that coming, but excellent.  Even better, out of season the Corrie used to run on Saturdays up to North Wales according to something I once read so it won't be entirely a Rule 1 to have it turn up at my planned North Wales seaside terminus.  It will also make a guest appearance on the Dolgellau layout hauled by a GWR kettle as a posh excursion to Barmouth.  I'm not proud.

Talking Dolgellau, the 78xxx will be very welcome, some of the first batch were allocated to this area and were regulars through the town.  

I also quite like the Dutch 31, but agree we could do with a Banger Blue 31/4 with headcode boxes.  "Floriat Salopia" is also a Bescot loco, so perhaps we might see "Sister Dora" at some point?

The Mk1 RB is very welcome and at a keen price.

Rocket?  I suppose it was a no-brainer and will sell.  Being DCC compatible it might be tempting for a fun addition to the Dolgellau roster.

Onwards to the blue box announcements.  I wonder if the mystery Precedent on the Hatton's "Genesis" coach webpage might be coming from Barwell then?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JohnR said:

Thats got to be a typo - they wont honour that, will they?

Hatton's actually did the same for the Hornby Class 67 Pullman Train Pack, priced it at £203 after the announcement but it was actually closer to £260.

• RMweb Gold

I realise there may be pent up demand (me included) but they haven't announced anything to put at the other end of the mk three intercity dvt unless they are relying on purchasers of the previous Hornby and Bachmann electrics.

First let me state that I haven't read posts after page 1, so I beg forgiveness if your think your post is overlooked.

My first reaction is a bit facetious with some of the classic responses to announcement threads:

• Nothing for me here
  • My wallet says thank you
  • My bank manager will be pleased
  • etc

While this will be a fun announcement for NE steam fans there's little big that excites me personally though there are a lot of little nuggets that do appeal including quite a number of wagons I have my eye on. I'm sure the Stevenson's Rocket train will be a crowd pleaser.

I know that these images are 'photoshop' mock-ups but I need a little rant. That 4003 Lode Star looks straight out of a decade ago - with all the disfiguring elements of that disappointing release. How many spokes are on that pilot bogie? Surely they will put a handrail on the cab instead of the awful cheap and cheerful shelf? "Design Clever" lives!! Worst of all is the ski-jump footplate in the cab with the scale four foot drop onto the tender floor. (These were glued in place on the original Star releases.) 

Please Hornby you will fix this in 2020? Right?

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Markwj said:

I realise there may be pent up demand (me included) but they haven't announced anything to put at the other end of the mk three intercity dvt unless they are relying on purchasers of the previous Hornby and Bachmann electrics.

I suspect they are playing catch up given they announced the Swallow liveried 87 in their first release, and the Mk2fs last year.

It's a good announcement nonetheless.

I was slightly surprised they didn't milk the 87 a bit longer with some of the one-off freak liveries the class carried in the 2005-6 period.  There again, perhaps there will be a mid-year announcement or they may appear as dealer commissions.  Being celebrity liveries, they must be the lowest of low hanging fruit for future release.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

The Peppercorn A1 class locomotives are one of my favourite classes of locomotive ever.   However it irritates me greatly that Hornby whenever they bring out a new version of this loco seem to be obsessed with calling it "Tornado" after the new build.   The original 49 locomotives had some wonderful and evocative  names,  eg;  Flamboyant,  St Mungo , Madge Wildfire etc.  What the hell is wrong with commemorating some of the original locomotives.  

Good to see the Standard class 2,  but Hornby need to concentrate less on Express passenger and more on the common smaller locomotives from the steam era.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, owentherail said:

I'm BR blue so nothing for me. GBFreight fans must be chuffed with both 50s and a few other locos in there liveries . 

Maybe kernow will do a un referb 50 with arrows in middle 

You do feel as BR 1970- 1995 has passed them by a bit - is that more telling about what sells ? Steamies and diesels bang up to date it seems ( like those 50s in the hideous GBRF guise.Vomit ).

did the large logo 50s not sell ? Did the skinhead 31 not sell ?

at least the Dutch 31 , strange name , is that a tree ?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Gordieb01 said:

The Peppercorn A1 class locomotives are one of my favourite classes of locomotive ever.   However it irritates me greatly that Hornby whenever they bring out a new version of this loco seem to be obsessed with calling it "Tornado" after the new build.   The original 49 locomotives had some wonderful and evocative  names,  eg;  Flamboyant,  St Mungo , Madge Wildfire etc.  What the hell is wrong with commemorating some of the original locomotives.  

Is it not the case that the Hornby tooling represents Tornado as built, and there are differences between it and the original A1s?

• Agree 4

6 minutes ago, Gordieb01 said:

Well, the Hornby tooling is of Tornado, i.e. lower chimney and cab to conform to the loading gauge, different tender around the water filler cap and different cabinet arrangements at the front of the tender. That didn't stop them making Bon Accord a few years ago, though...

Edit - beaten to it by the previous post

Edited by JamieR4489
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Coryton said:

I  wonder what Mr Bassett-Lowke would have made of it all?

That whirring noise isn't all the stuck-on cogs, its him spinning in his grave.

Steampunk away to your heart's content, but put the BL name on these products? Please, please, noooo.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Gordieb01 said:

Good to see the Standard class 2,  but Hornby need to concentrate less on Express passenger and more on the common smaller locomotives from the steam era.

IIRC, the Hornby A1 is only accurate for the new-build loco. If you want a "proper" A1, it'll come in a blue box (always supposing they are still making them).

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, truffy said:

I don't have your experience in pre-grouping, so I'm guessing that this is a gauge comment. Correct?

I've been looking for a dimensioned drawing of Rocket without success. My suspicion is that the diameter of the boiler over cladding is greater, at 4 mm/ft scale, than the standard OO back-to-back. 

Not a gauge comment per se, so much as an observation on the practical difficulties in producing the model. It's a practical difficulty that doesn't arise with a Class 47, or indeed with most locomotives built after, say, 1860, since there's no key element of the model that has visibly to fit between the back-to-back of the wheels. I have no gauge axe to grind, I'm a happy OO modeller.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

1 minute ago, Dunsignalling said:

IIRC, the Hornby A1 is only accurate for the new-build loco. If you want a "proper" A1, it'll come in a blue box (always supposing they are still making them).

John

Correct. With minor loco body mods and significant tender body mods a good representation of the original a1s can be made.

At least us BR blue modellers have a very good looking TTS Class 08. BTW did anyone else check where 3817 was allocated ? In the early 70s it was at Ashford Chart Leacon, the nearest BR depot to Margate ! Nice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coryton said:

Well no, they're just steam.

So far as I'm aware, the general idea of steampunk in fiction is to imagine steam technology developing further, rather than being replaced by electricity, electronics and internal combusion engines.

Perhaps I could have expressed myself better. Steampunk is pretty broad in its scope, encompassing space travel and magic in some cases. And indeed, much of steampunk involves extrapolations of Victorian transport technology.

But consider a work like The Difference Engine, in which something similar to modern information technology is implemented with mechanical computers. For these things the Victorian steam technology works pretty much unmodified as a setting.

That's what I was getting at. But I think we're pretty much in agreement.