Hornby 2020 range announcements

AY Mod

3 hours ago, rogerzilla said:

"Lode Star" is a reissue, surely?  The STEAM museum in Swindon was selling them as limited editions a few years ago.

Why do SR modellers need an H and an M7?  They did the same jobs and look similar.  Give us a W!

The M7 is a fair bit bigger than an H and both are useful to me :) I'll welcome any prototypes that ventured through Sussex in the last decade of the SR tbh! Most GWR 4-6-0s look the same to me and BR Liveried 4-6-2s with smoke deflectors, regardless or grouping origin, all big bulky characterless things (to my eye)... I guess it just depends what you have an eye for!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, JamieR4489 said:

Well, the Hornby tooling is of Tornado, i.e. lower chimney and cab to conform to the loading gauge, different tender around the water filler cap and different cabinet arrangements at the front of the tender. That didn't stop them making Bon Accord a few years ago, though...

Edit - beaten to it by the previous post

Thanks for that I wasn't aware of the differences in the Hornby version.  As another poster has said I'll need to go for the Blue box versions if they are more accurate to the originals

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, TangoOscarMike said:

Perhaps I could have expressed myself better. Steampunk is pretty broad in its scope, encompassing space travel and magic in some cases. And indeed, much of steampunk involves extrapolations of Victorian transport technology.

But consider a work like The Difference Engine, in which something similar to modern information technology is implemented with mechanical computers. For these things the Victorian steam technology works pretty much unmodified as a setting.

That's what I was getting at. But I think we're pretty much in agreement.

I see what you mean. Yes, I think we are in agreement.

And an unmodified steam engine would fit such an environment much better than the monstrosities Hornby are offering.

Woooooo, Malachite Lord Nelson! I'm just not sure if the livery is pre, or post war, the lining on the deflectors would suggest post, but the lining on the steps, and (I think) the lettering style would suggest pre. Nothing some quick paint work and re-lettering wouldn't take care of!

And that W1, oof, I don't think i've ever been more tempted by an Eastern loco.

• Like 3

So happy! I'll definitely be getting a couple of W1s and Thompson Pacifics.

Also like the look of the APT despite not modelling that era or region. And a new Rocket! That's definitely an indulgence I'll be acting on.

Well done Hornby for a daring and very exciting range of products! Feels like new life has been injected into the marketplace 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

43 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Steampunk away to your heart's content, but put the BL name on these products? Please, please, noooo.

Yes does seem a bit odd to associate such an esteemed name with the Steampunk range. I hope it does well for them though - it's pretty risky but could end up being a winner. 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, GordonC said:

Is there not enough superdetailed Blue-grey HST's available on the secondhand market? They've done at least a couple of batches of them now

A lot of Lima, ex-Lima and early Hornby blue-grey HSTs available second hand, but I've not seen many of the super-detailed blue-grey versions, aside from a few at insane prices on a well known auction site. Maybe I've just been unlucky? I must confess that I've only been looking for the past 6 months or so and I may have missed these when they were more plentiful on the SH market. 

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

That 4003 Lode Star looks straight out of a decade ago - with all the disfiguring elements of that disappointing release. How many spokes are on that pilot bogie? Surely they will put a handrail on the cab instead of the awful cheap and cheerful shelf? "Design Clever" lives!! Worst of all is the ski-jump footplate in the cab with the scale four foot drop onto the tender floor. (These were glued in place on the original Star releases.) 

Please Hornby you will fix this in 2020? Right?

I just assumed they demoted the new Lode Star to Railroad.

Haven't they? ......

6 hours ago, NIK said:

Hi,

I think it only allows a maximum of 12 points or other accessories.

I haven't found a mention of whether it can cope with trains being driven from one track to another.

Regards 

Nick

It's beauty from my perspective is to use as a wireless controller on an existing DC  layout.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, NIK said:

Hi,

As has been pointed out to me its not the first system to do this.

It uses Bluetooth, NFC only has a range of 100mm or so.

There is a maximum of 12 points or other accessories per smartphone.

Regards

Nick

But if you add the controller to an existing layout, you get wireless control and simply use your original control panels.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Well, I have done what I didn't think I was going to do, and bought the NMT stuff, even though I have a pair of 37s and a rake of MK2 measurement train coaches.

Bought 3 NR Mk3s on eBay

Ordered 2NR Mk3s and the power cars. By my calculation that means it would only be 977994 I would be missing from the whole set of coaches.

2 NR Mk2s (replacing 2 airfix resprays), 2 DRS Mk2s and the Super GUV too. Not sure why I bought the GUV just think it's kinda cool.

I was wanting to buy a HST and was thinking about the XC power cars and sliding door Mk3s but I think the NMT will be a better long term investment especially if I can get all the coaches.

So the only ones I aren't ordering for now are the Tornado pack and the Scotland 800.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Overall quite pleased with this announcement from Hornby today. Class 31 'Dutch' for sure for me and agree with other comments about the lost opportunities of Class 31/4 and liveries. Just love The Beatles Eurostar and will be after a set and have already made a pre order for 'Rocket'.

Can someone help as I have bought the KFA container flats in the past branded as 'Tiphook'. I see there are new announcements today of KFA container flats posted as 'Tiphook', however the container flat has a branding of 'Touax' on the image. Is Tiphook and Touax the same company or is this a mix up?

I've a feeling Touax is a bit later than Tiphook but would appreciate some clarification

Many thanks

Mark

2 hours ago, gc4946 said:

Could Stephenson's Rocket train packs lead to a resurgence of interest in modelling early railways (Era 1)?

I remember perusing through 60s model railway magazines and seeing how inventive modellers were recreating that era using Triang's models. 

Locos and rolling stock were smaller and shorter and it's possible to run an authentic length train in limited space. 

If Hornby follows up with open carriages and wagons then they have another niche to their own.

Locomotion No1 in 2025 anyone?

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Well, I have done what I didn't think I was going to do, and bought the NMT stuff, even though I have a pair of 37s and a rake of MK2 measurement train coaches.

Bought 3 NR Mk3s on eBay

Ordered 2NR Mk3s and the power cars. By my calculation that means it would only be 977994 I would be missing from the whole set of coaches.

2 NR Mk2s (replacing 2 airfix resprays), 2 DRS Mk2s and the Super GUV too. Not sure why I bought the GUV just think it's kinda cool.

I was wanting to buy a HST and was thinking about the XC power cars and sliding door Mk3s but I think the NMT will be a better long term investment especially if I can get all the coaches.

I did the exact same thing today, got 3 NMT's from Kernow @RRP and pre-ordered the other 2 NMT's & the Class 43 set as well as the other Mk2 NR stuff...happy days.

Edited by classy52
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

But if you add the controller to an existing layout, you get wireless control and simply use your original control panels.

Quite - it's cheap, and takes very little extra wiring to have remote control.

Controlling accessories is something else, and if there is a limit of 12 per phone that seems rather restricting. Also a bit odd, because there shouldn't be any fundamental limit to having more.

8 hours ago, tgk300 said:

Are opinions differing from your own not allowed? Must all opinions agree with yours or else they are worthy of a warning? Is this one of those forums dictated by mods with their own ideology and anything else is totally supressed? Seems that way to me. 

Yes. As many others have come to realise this forum does have overzealous moderators. If someone don’t have an opinion they agree with they will sometimes shout them down and accuse them of being ‘stupid’.

On the the other hand, I honestly thought you’re original post was sarcastic. I didn’t think you were serious. Lol.

Edited by bart2day
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2