Hornby 2020 range announcements

AY Mod

1 hour ago, Forester said:

I just assumed they demoted the new Lode Star to Railroad.

Haven't they? ......

I've no idea. This one was listed with the branding:

RAILWAY

MUSEUM

Whatever that means. It doesn't appear to be "Railroad", unless "Railroad" is rebranded. The LSWR T9 and the BR 7F Britannia have similar branding.

I shall be visiting my local shop tomorrow to get my pre orders in for a 5 car APT and a TTS Blue 08. Umming and arring over a Hush hush, but it would be the BR version I had if any.

Regards to the rest of the announcements...

Dissapointed that there dosent seem to be much in the way of new TTS decoders - had hoped for class 25 or first gen DMU.

Im sure Hornby work on these announcents several years in advance, so while duplication of the Class 91 is unfortunate Hornby possibly had theres in the works before cavalex announced theres. Possibly the same for the APT.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Mark201 said:

Overall quite pleased with this announcement from Hornby today. Class 31 'Dutch' for sure for me and agree with other comments about the lost opportunities of Class 31/4 and liveries. Just love The Beatles Eurostar and will be after a set and have already made a pre order for 'Rocket'.

Can someone help as I have bought the KFA container flats in the past branded as 'Tiphook'. I see there are new announcements today of KFA container flats posted as 'Tiphook', however the container flat has a branding of 'Touax' on the image. Is Tiphook and Touax the same company or is this a mix up?

I've a feeling Touax is a bit later than Tiphook but would appreciate some clarification

Many thanks

Mark

TOUAX are the current owners of the KFA Container Flat Fleet and was formed around 2015 after their accusation of the former GE Capital Rail Services business - itself formed of a merger between Cargowaggon and Tiphook. The KFA's received the TOUAX branding after their overhaul at Arlington Fleet Services (Eastleigh) where they were also repainted a darker shade of blue. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, NIK said:

There is a maximum of 12 points or other accessories per smartphone.

That would be sufficient for my layout, and many smaller BLT's.  DCC comes into it's own on big layouts with large stock levels, and as a rule can be afforded by those who have space and income to afford big layouts, where the wiring is simplified and made infinitely more reliable and operation is enhanced by it.  But, even if I could afford a DCC controller and the chips for a dozen locos, which is an academic issue for me, I would have to assess whether the advantages of DCC are worth expense for a small layout; the  DCC topic here shows how much effort one has to sometimes spend to get things working the way one wants, and there is an argument that the wiring complexity saved on the track layout is in fact simply transferred to the loco, and multiplied by the number of locos you have.  Hands up who reckons they've already got enough locos and will never buy any more...    Thought so.

I would suggest that the analogue app system proposed is priced at a level that makes it realistic to buy more control boxes should one require more than 12 accessories to be operated, but most adopters of it will I suspect use it mostly to control trains and use their existing methods to control points, signals, isolating switches, and such in a sort of hybrid approach.  If I buy one, as I very probably will unless a good reason not to is pointed out to me, I will retain my existing controllers and wiring.

• Like 4

On 06/01/2020 at 12:16, Denbridge said:

Hornby know their market and know what sells. I'm pretty certain 'finescale' modellers are in no way the predominant percentage of customers.

Up to a point I'm sure, but it's also alarmingly obvious that Hornby only appear to announce some of these 'obvious market leaders' on the back of other manufacturers' prior announcements.  It could be argued that if they knew their own market as well as your above statement might imply, then Hornby would have identified that multiple Class 66 liveries, retooled Terrier, retooled Class 91, retooled Mk 2f, etc etc were the way forward long before Hattons, Rails, Cavalex and Bachmann respectively.  Of course, no one can blame Hornby for defending what they clearly see as 'their' territory - that's how business works (dog-eat-dog etc) - and any competitive business would do the same.  That said, simply seeing what others are doing and then essentially leaping on the bandwagon at the last moment does not necessarily translate into "knowing your market" better than the competition - quite the opposite in fact.  Still, it does look as though Hornby have 'got in quick' with the announcement of ScotRail, DRS, Virgin and further Network Rail Mk 2f's before Bachmann seize an open goal.  Having picked up the NR Mk 2f's from the 2019 range I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised that the slightly restrained Hornby 'retool' certainly seems reasonably acceptable. 

On a more positive note, the 2020 announcements are indeed impressive and there are quite a few items that interest me - most notably the APT, and will be most intrigued to see more details as they are revealed.  Maybe an obvious point, but hopefully it will feature a full-tilt mechanism...

All in all a most impressive line-up and good luck to Hornby with their new releases.  Interesting times.

cheers

Al

Edited by YesTor
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

RAILWAY

MUSEUM

Whatever that means. It doesn't appear to be "Railroad", unless "Railroad" is rebranded. The LSWR T9 and the BR 7F Britannia have similar branding.

Railway Museum is now the name of the National Railway Museum. Lode Star will still be Hornby’s original Design Clever Star tooling.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jack P said:

Woooooo, Malachite Lord Nelson! I'm just not sure if the livery is pre, or post war, the lining on the deflectors would suggest post, but the lining on the steps, and (I think) the lettering style would suggest pre. Nothing some quick paint work and re-lettering wouldn't take care of!

Bachmann produced exactly the same loco years ago.  Split chassis, but NOS ones have years in them.    The Hornby loco has green smoke deflectors, which are a bit odd.  Did that ever happen?

Edited by rogerzilla

1 minute ago, eldomtom2 said:

Surely it's diecast because their regular model is diecast?

Apparently not. Hornby magazine have YouTube video where the new range are discussed in detail. Hornby have tooled up a specific body in diecast for this model.

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, caradoc said:

At least us BR blue modellers have a very good looking TTS Class 08. BTW did anyone else check where 3817 was allocated ? In the early 70s it was at Ashford Chart Leacon, the nearest BR depot to Margate ! Nice.

http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=D&id=3817&loco=3817

According to BR locodatabase it was a Dai the Diesel all its career!

However on the RCTS site plenty of evidence as Caradoc says that she served in Kent - 08650 from 1974

http://rcts.org.uk/features/diesels/loco.htm/index.htm?id=diesels/kent east sussex shunters

And is still giving yeoman service...

http://rcts-shop.org.uk/features/diesel-dilemmas/ex-br-class-08s-somerset-quarries/08650

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Really cannot believe the lack of any new TTS decoders in this announcement....... if anybody tries to source an Class 08, 31 or 37 TTS decoder, one will find most retailers out of stock and so clearly there is a ready market to add relatively low cost sound to older models and Hornby have missed an opportunity to cash in.

........ imagine the interest in a class 25, Peak, Western or first generation DMU TTS decoder being brought to the market......... 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Hound Dog said:

Really cannot believe the lack of any new TTS decoders in this announcement....... if anybody tries to source an Class 08, 31 or 37 TTS decoder, one will find most retailers out of stock and so clearly there is a ready market to add relatively low cost sound to older models and Hornby have missed an opportunity to cash in.

........ imagine the interest in a class 25, Peak, Western or first generation DMU TTS decoder being brought to the market......... 

Thats the most disappointing thing for me. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, davidw said:

Apparently not. Hornby magazine have YouTube video where the new range are discussed in detail. Hornby have tooled up a specific body in diecast for this model.

I was wondering why it was labelled as New Tool.

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, maico said:

It's good to see Hornby releasing more streamers with die-cast metal bodies

Slide12.JPG.55281142f7b2e529a76f5dcad8de36de.JPG.41ceeec4eeb560341101edfd8a55a4b3.JPG

I saw this and thought it was a mistake...

I thought the old dublo toolings were lost in the Dapol fire back in the 1990’s ?

Is this as simple as pouring metal into a tooling designed for plastic injection moulding or are they tooling up a whole new tooling for this body and tender ?

• RMweb Premium
Just now, scumcat said:

I wonder if Hornby I’ve given up making decoders altogether. I notice in today’s announcements that all the locomotives DCC  ready there are no DCC fitted locos announced also there are no new TTS chips announced. Maybe they plan to leave the production of decoders to other companies.

All the newly announced terriers have a Dcc Fitted option again. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

RAILWAY

MUSEUM

Those models used to have some association with the NRM, as the NRM has lost the “National” in rebranding I assume its a continuation of the same.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, davidw said:

Yes I’ve seen the Hornby Mag review of the 2020 range and it does say the loco body is diecast .  Quite amazing that it’s worthwhile creating a specific diecast body for something that’s got a limited edition quantity of 1000. Yes it’s pretty expensive but I’d be interested in the economics of this one if 1000 models is enough to cover the cost of the bespoke body and make a decent return . Fascinating

• Agree 3

20 minutes ago, Legend said:

Yes I’ve seen the Hornby Mag review of the 2020 range and it does say the loco body is diecast .  Quite amazing that it’s worthwhile creating a specific diecast body for something that’s got a limited edition quantity of 1000. Yes it’s pretty expensive but I’d be interested in the economics of this one if 1000 models is enough to cover the cost of the bespoke body and make a decent return . Fascinating

I mean presumably that's why it costs as much as the two sets!

17 minutes ago, scumcat said:

as do the princesses. But I sort of meant the new tooled locos. But if it’s only the terriers and princesses out of the whole range that’s a bit worrying, maybe Hornby are giving up on producing DCC and channelling their efforts into analog.

I hope so. If I ever go to DCC I’ll fit compatible decoders across the board. As it is I have to find blanking plates for a couple of DCC-fitted Hornby models. 

4 minutes ago, scumcat said:

as do the princesses. But I sort of meant the new tooled locos. But if it’s only the terriers and princesses out of the whole range that’s a bit worrying, maybe Hornby are giving up on producing DCC and channelling their efforts into analog.

That is what I was thinking.

I also looked closely at their analogue proposition for my main DC layout to replace old equipment there and its not really useful for me personally. I'd need at least 3 of the main controller ports and 36 accessory ports (up to 12 per main controller part by buying 3 additional accessary things per controller) but even then that would not be suffice to replace the cab (like) control panel I currently have and all its switches. I'd need relay switches triggered by accessories to be able to make certain sections of track dead (like the loco depot). And all that for a cost of at least £300.

I then thought maybe hybriding it. Using Gaugemaster for the cab control switch board and running a 2/4 of circuits while one of these devices runs a pair of other circuits with a speaker to add a bit of noise. There seems to be back emf on this things too (for gentle acceleration etc I guess) which makes me wonder over its compatibility with a DCC fitted unit (under my cab like control, any controller can control any part of the layout, so I can have a section with locos running via DCC).

For the new layout, DCC is still far more flexible.