Hornby 2020 range announcements

AY Mod

4 hours ago, RickRoper said:

Well, this looks like being a wallet-lightening year for me then! Coronation stock is a must.

One question about the Coronation Locos though - The rear truck wheelsets look as though they may be flanged. I'm hoping this may be an option, as I bought my model of 46256 a couple of years back, and am still looking for a trailing truck flanged wheelset as a replacement for what I think are horrible flangeless wheels. I'm also looking at making the rear truck pivot as it should. Does anyone know if replacement flanged rear truck wheelsets are available?

I stand to be corrected, but the model represents the prototype in that the trailing truck is fixed. It's known as a 'Cartazzi' truck. On the original, the wheels were allowed some side-to-side movement to allow to go over radii of 4 1/2 chains very very slowly. You will probably have to do major surgery to achieve a swivelling trailing truck. I would retain your flangeless wheels rather than trying to create something that would be less prototypical. Apparently you can use flanged wheels within the cartazzi IF you have generous curves - I read elsewhere 3ft radius or greater.

I got caught out with my DoG, and thought there was an error too ;).

Cheers,

Philip

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

All I can say is congratulations Hornby on 100 years and of the announcement of this new range. 

By scrolling through the new range I personally think that their is something for everyone. A wide range of Railroad locomotives for modern image modellers, several full fat, super detailed locomotives in the main range, more HSTs, another LNER 800 in a special livery, an APT and a new 91. That's not to mention the other older eras of which their is are coaches and steam locomotives. All in all a really good, range with plenty of variety. I would go as far as to say that in the past few years of Hornby's announcements this for me personally has to the best range with so much variety. 

Some more positives is their are two DB branded 60s in the latest guise. After many years of the DB Red 60s missing from the range we had 60044 announced last year with DB Schenker branding and now two with the newer DB branding. I would say that this is a really good move, both named and with different running numbers which will save those who maybe don't want to renumber or those who can't from having to attempt to do it on a £160 model. Announcing both GBRf 50s is also a good move because both in reality have different guises with 50007 also numbered 50014 on one side, thus it has two different numbers compared to 50049 which has the same numbers on both sides. Again it saves having to renumber a £160 model if you don't feel comfortable in doing so. It's really nice to see some more HSTs appearing especially with many now at the end of their operational life and others been on limited life. The Network Rail set makes sense with the announcement of the MK3s in Network Rail Yellow last summer and two additional MK3s in this announcement. Another nice set is 002 & 198 with 002 as a special in the pack with the standard GWR livery on 198. If I remember rightly wasn't this pair the same pair that worked the last ever HST full length train into Paddington last year? It's also excellent to see additional MK2s in Network Rail Yellow, DRS Compass and ScotRail liveries. Now modellers can form prototypical test trains especially after the wealth of Bachmann 37s in DRS and Colas liveries that have been produced over the past few years and with the forthcoming Accurascale 37s. Their most definitely is no shortage of 37s to work with these coaches. Also the DRS Anglian short set can now be modelled and even the Cumbrian Coast trains with the three DRS Compass MK2s. Although shouldn't it be x1 BSO and x2 TSOs instead of x2 BSO and x1 TSO? Either way still nice and a great addition to the range. The three additional ScotRail MK2s can be added to the three released last year to form a prototypical full length ScotRail set which will complement 68006 & 68007 released by Dapol over the last few years nicely. Another rake of GWR MK3s is lovely especially now that 43002 & 43198 are the fourth set to be released in GWR livery over the past 3/4 years, more coaches are most certainly needed to run with the power cars. 

I will definitely have both of the GBRf 50s, x3 ScotRail MK2fs, x3 NR MK2fs & x1 NR MK2D. I will possibly buy DB 60062, x8 GWR MK3s if I decide to form a second GWR HST set and maybe another pair of GWR power cars. 

Just out of interest if their is anyone from Hornby reading this comment, or if a moderator knows the answer or any other forum member, can anyone confirm what livery 43021 & 43132 will be produced in? The image on the Hornby website shows the Inter7Cities livery on both power cars but the description for the pair says 'A New Era' branding since the pair have worn since approximately mid 2018 to mid 2019 before both were repainted. I assume this would be the livery of plain and debranded FGW, with the names of the new seven cities that the short set HSTs in Scotland will serve with the 'A New Era' branding near to the cab doors on the nose ends of the power cars. 

In all, an excellent range for 2020 and the best for modern image modellers that I can recall seeing for years. Well done Hornby, here's to the next 100 years!

Thank you in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Like 2

A GBRF or DCR 60 would have been better than one of the DBs IMO. I have 60007 already which whilst isn't the normal DB livery will do for DB duites whereas I think the GBRF would have been a great seller. Anyway my money in this case would be towards a Colas 70 instead if Bachmann announce another one.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Funnily enough I have those two 37s for this exact purpose!

I have the two coaches from last year (PLPR and radio), I have a MK1 BG generator on pre order from Bachmann and then the brake force runner and the gauging support coach on order from Hornby from this year's range. Although could probably do with knocking one off the order as I have 4 carriages at the moment (2 old mk2 airfix resprays I will sell) and the train is long enough with the 37s on too really. To me this means if I get rid of the gauging coach then it's very similar to the first pic?

Here's a scene that can be readily modelled....if you max the resolution and full screen it and pause the video you can see the vehicle numbers. I did post a list previously but can't find it at the moment.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Just bought the Hornby Catalogue, along with Horny Mag from Tescos in Port Glasgow. Well done Hornby for releasing so early .  It was the last copy of the catalogue that I could see  and I did get both for £10

The catalogue is impressive , particularly when you see the whole range not just the 2020 introductions .  It does follow the format of previous editions , so while still very good, I think they missed the opportunity to go retro , given that it was there 100th . But there we go.

There are 2 87s in the catalogue I don't remember seeing , a blue one Stephenson and a Caley Sleeper one . Maybe they were announced last year .

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

16 minutes ago, ruggedpeak said:

Here's a scene that can be readily modelled....if you max the resolution and full screen it and pause the video you can see the vehicle numbers. I did post a list previously but can't find it at the moment.

2 37s, 3 Mk2s and a Mk1 is probably where I'll be yes! Different coaches and 37025 involved but similar!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Legend said:

Just bought the Hornby Catalogue, along with Horny Mag from Tescos in Port Glasgow. Well done Hornby for releasing so early .  It was the last copy of the catalogue that I could see  and I did get both for £10

WH Smiths in Argyle St Glasgow had both the catalogue and the latest Hornby mag, adjacent but separate and with no mention (as far as I could see) of the combined offer. So I bought neither; Maybe the offer will only apply from tomorrow as mentioned previously, with some form of wrapper around the two ?

BTW I take it the Horny Mag was on the top shelf ?!!!!!!

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 7

4 hours ago, BritishRail60062 said:

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't GNER also have a buffered HST around 1998 as 43067 and 43080 as spares until about 2005?

I may be wrong but I thought 43067 and 43080 stayed with Virgin until the end of 2003 before going over to GNER.

4 hours ago, BritishRail60062 said:

Think they passed over to Grand Central after that but there is another idea for the buffered HST.

Hornby produced buffered 43080 as part of the Grand Central pack (R2705) with buffered 43068.

3 hours ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

Yes, both of those went to GNER, and both painted into GNER livery for their stint there. Not as spares but as daily use refurb cover whilst another two ex Virgin cars were put through works upgrading them to GNER's standard. If you are thinking of doing two and putting them either end of the same GNER rake then don't- they were not allowed to run together as neither had the reliability mods!

That's interesting, I didn't know about that. I only ever saw a buffered GNER one on the rare occasion. I still think it would be good if Hornby could release a single buffered 43 power car so people can add variety to the norm. Perhaps a limited-edition single power car would be ideal.

5 hours ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

065 went Virgin in November '98 (and 123 went Virgin in Feb '99) so without mods the duo in the 2020 catalogue are correct for Feb '96 to Nov '98.

I guess that means the Intercity pair as portrayed in the 2020 catalogue would actually have operated for longer under Virgin trains ownership than BR!

I would be quite interested to get either of these buffered power cars to produce an early Virgin set, but probably wouldn't want both. I wonder if others think the same. Perhaps we'll see people splitting the set.

4 hours ago, Robin Brasher said:

The 2020 Hornby Catalogue and the February 2020 Hornby Magazine were in W H Smith at Swanage but they did not know anything about the combined offer so I ordered mine directly from Key Publishing for £10.69.

You need to look in the 'specials' section to get the bundle, here, https://shop.keypublishing.com/department/productList/department/SPEC

And, if you search very hard (under 'Rail', not 'Modelling' - a listing error) you'll find the 2018 Hornby Catalogue for just £1.99

Edited by Mel_H
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, ruggedpeak said:

If you're on a phone with a small screen, then the formation is 37099+977969+977983+5381+6264+37116

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Legend said:

The catalogue is impressive , particularly when you see the whole range not just the 2020 introductions . 

Yes - the range looks somewhat more balanced when you see everything currently on offer, rather than just what is new this year.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Some more positives is their are two DB branded 60s in the latest guise. After many years of the DB Red 60s missing from the range we had 60044 announced last year with DB Schenker branding and now two with the newer DB branding. I would say that this is a really good move, both named and with different running numbers which will save those who maybe don't want to renumber or those who can't from having to attempt to do it on a £160 model.

But still no un-named DB red 60 to make it even easier to renumber..............

And would it be that difficult to tweak the tooling to remove the NRN radio pod from the cab roof?

Which would then lend itself to DCR/GBRf/Beacon/Cappagh/other livery 60s.............................

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, caradoc said:

WH Smiths in Argyle St Glasgow had both the catalogue and the latest Hornby mag, adjacent but separate and with no mention (as far as I could see) of the combined offer. So I bought neither; Maybe the offer will only apply from tomorrow as mentioned previously, with some form of wrapper around the two ?

BTW I take it the Horny Mag was on the top shelf ?!!!!!!

In tesco there was no mention of offer and they were not banded together. The discount was given at the checkout though

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 08/01/2020 at 07:22, GBRf66701 said:

Also in the signalbox youtube video at 11.56 is an LMS wartime black Coronation 6223 'Princess Alice' is this missing from the catalogue too?

It is, which is a shame too. I wish though that Hornby, when they do make a black streamliner, make it with the tender sides cut down as they ran like that for longer in wartime black.

2 minutes ago, Brocp said:

It is, which is a shame too. I wish though that Hornby, when they do make a black streamliner, make it with the tender sides cut down as they ran like that for longer in wartime black.

Im sure I had one years ago that came in a train set.

4 hours ago, scottrains29 said:

I guess that means the Intercity pair as portrayed in the 2020 catalogue would actually have operated for longer under Virgin trains ownership than BR!

I would be quite interested to get either of these buffered power cars to produce an early Virgin set, but probably wouldn't want both. I wonder if others think the same. Perhaps we'll see people splitting the set.

Yes, Feb '96 until Jan '97 under Cross Country TOU and Jan '97 until Nov '98 under Virgin Trains.

A better "solution" would be 1x buffer, 1x standard front in Virgin Trains livery, and then 1x buffer, 1x standard front in GNER. People would want the coaches to go between them and I don't know if the market would bear another release, especially as some HST power car liveries have yet to be released (eg all the privatised GWT/FGW styles until Dynamic Lines, of which there were four main ones for the power cars and three main ones for the coaches)...

I can see some people splitting the set for the purposes of running 1x Class 91, 8x HST Swallow livery trailer and 1x buffer fitted power car to replicate the "super power" 8,730hp combo on the ECML in 1989- more power to weight than your APT's or 800's!!

• Like 1

Nothing for me personally at the moment as the next project is N-gauge and European outline (those advert liveried Vectrons and Tauruses {Tauri?} are just too much to resist).

I've got to hand it to Hornby for tackling the Thompson A2/3 and the W1, and particularly a class regarded by many as a lemon among LNER Pacifics, the A2/2.

However those lemons were only so by the standard of the LNER, and still managed annual mileages comparable with Kings and Castles.  The A2/3s also occasionally found themselves on fast heavy freight that had defeated 9Fs, so maybe Thompson's biggest engines weren't quite as bad as their reputation.  

I hope they sell well.

Les

• Like 3

7 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Another nice set is 002 & 198 with 002 as a special in the pack with the standard GWR livery on 198. If I remember rightly wasn't this pair the same pair that worked the last ever HST full length train into Paddington last year?

Already answered (amid 31 pages!!)- 43002+LA72+43198 are the train which worked the last passenger service from Paddington and the specials a fortnight later, the latest GWR carriage numbers announced make it possible to form up the exact 10 vehicle train as worked on those days. I shall take marks off for anyone not forming them the right way 'round with 43198 on the standard class end...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

I can see some people splitting the set for the purposes of running 1x Class 91, 8x HST Swallow livery trailer and 1x buffer fitted power car to replicate the "super power" 8,730hp combo on the ECML in 1989- more power to weight than your APT's or 800's!!

Yes they were quite an experience. 

And it's not often you get a chance to have diesel and electric haulage at the same time.

And you can stick a 47 on the 91 to replicate the Bradford to Leeds section.

If I recall correctly, the HST power car hauled the train to Bradford, but couldn't provide power for the class 91 to act as a DVT so a 47 hauled it back to Leeds. I do have a memory of the 47 failing to turn up once and they chanced it on the 91's batteries and got away with it.

• Informative/Useful 1

12 minutes ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

Yes, Feb '96 until Jan '97 under Cross Country TOU and Jan '97 until Nov '98 under Virgin Trains.

A better "solution" would be 1x buffer, 1x standard front in Virgin Trains livery, and then 1x buffer, 1x standard front in GNER. People would want the coaches to go between them and I don't know if the market would bear another release, especially as some HST power car liveries have yet to be released (eg all the privatised GWT/FGW styles until Dynamic Lines, of which there were four main ones for the power cars and three main ones for the coaches)...

Yes I thought running a 91 with Mk3s and a buffered HST would be cool especially given Hornby haven't announced Mk4s it's like they are encouraging it!

Regarding the FGW liveries, am I right in thinking I heard somewhere that First are a bit weird about licencing old liveries?

17 minutes ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

A better "solution" would be 1x buffer, 1x standard front in Virgin Trains livery, and then 1x buffer, 1x standard front in GNER.

I had thought about that. I think it would be fine for the Virgin livery as they always had a few buffered examples in the fleet, but I think most would prefer the standard version twin pack for GNER as they only had two buffered examples that only operated during a very short period of the 11+ years GNER existed.

I hope Hornby produce another GNER set, but this time with Valenta power cars and original light lenses. The new 91 may spark (excuse the pun) more interest modelling the ECML. With the recent Hornby Intercity, VTEC and LNER HST sets I think we must be due a GNER set next.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Coryton said:

Yes - the range looks somewhat more balanced when you see everything currently on offer, rather than just what is new this year.

Hornby is still reliant on pre-1994 built prototypes.

In the last 20 years,  I can see 4 privatisation toolings...  the Pendolino, Javelin, Azuma, Sliding Door mk3’s.., from all privatisation era prototypes.

Even in the dark years of 1970-90 Hornby managed a 25,(35,37 retool),47,52,58,86,90,91,HST,APT,110,142, plus mk3, mk4’s.

Between 1990-2000 they picked up Lima “current modern image” range of 09/20/31/37/47/60/66/67/73/87/101/156, and added 08/31/50/56/60/466/VEP all BR era toolings to it post 2000-2010..

imagine being an enthusiast in 1960 and the only “current modern image” 4 toolings offered from 1960-1980 was a Deltic, a Britannia, 9f and a mk1.

But the lack of interest in “the current scene” railways from 2010-2040 concerns me, especially considering all the fresh ripe prototypes that have joined the network since 2000..once BR era classes die out from the network is there no future for the hobby ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

53 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Hornby is still reliant on pre-1994 built prototypes.

In the last 20 years,  I can see 4 privatisation toolings...  the Pendolino, Javelin, Azuma, Sliding Door mk3’s.., from all privatisation era prototypes.

Even in the dark years of 1970-90 Hornby managed a 25,(35,37 retool),47,52,58,86,90,91,HST,APT,110,142, plus mk3, mk4’s.

Between 1990-2000 they picked up Lima “current modern image” range of 09/20/31/37/47/60/66/67/73/87/101/156, and added 08/31/50/56/60/466/VEP all BR era toolings to it post 2000-2010..

imagine being an enthusiast in 1960 and the only “current modern image” 4 toolings offered from 1960-1980 was a Deltic, a Britannia, 9f and a mk1.

But the lack of interest in “the current scene” railways from 2010-2040 concerns me, especially considering all the fresh ripe prototypes that have joined the network since 2000..once BR era classes die out from the network is there no future for the hobby ?

Completely agree. Despite some nice reliveries of existing tooling such as the Scotrail HSTs and Network Rail mk2fs, I am rather disappointed by this years offering as Hornby once again entrenches the view that they are not interested in the current era modeller particularly when it comes to new tooling.

As you say, there are so many current scene prototypes that have never made it to model form and yet most people are screaming that their favourite loco hasn’t been retooled in the last ten years. The hobby’s future is bleak as by the time the manufacturers come round to manufacturing up to date stock (if ever) a lot of potential current scene modellers will be put off as there will be such a backlog.

Nonetheless I acknowledge that this is not a popular view on this forum.

Edited by bart2day
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, scottrains29 said:

I had thought about that. I think it would be fine for the Virgin livery as they always had a few buffered examples in the fleet, but I think most would prefer the standard version twin pack for GNER as they only had two buffered examples that only operated during a very short period of the 11+ years GNER existed.

I hope Hornby produce another GNER set, but this time with Valenta power cars and original light lenses. The new 91 may spark (excuse the pun) more interest modelling the ECML. With the recent Hornby Intercity, VTEC and LNER HST sets I think we must be due a GNER set next.

Err, West is best, obviously! They did already did a GNER pair, the Virgin ones were more geographically widespread but I'm still cheering on a First pink-swoosh one as per 2001-2006 style, even if First are weird about their heritage.

Edited by fiftyfour fiftyfour
current tense changed for past tense
  • Like 1