Hornby 2020 range announcements

AY Mod

I was in Hamleys around 5 years ago or so, and they had a Hornby new-tool Castle - Beverston Castle - priced up at something daft like £60; nothing else was reduced so this was clearly a price labelling error. This was also at the time when Hornby had those concession discount cards whereby if you had one that was in date you could get 20% (iirc) off full-price items in the concession. 

So, guess who walked away down Regent's street with a mint-in-box new tool Hornby Castle for £48? 

CoY

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, meatloaf said:

Had a quick look in the catologue and looking at the J94 I see they now list as DCC Ready. And the railroad pannier in the set says same. I always thought they lacked a socket.

Wouldn't be the first time Hornby have listed a J94 as DCC ready right until it released.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, 30801 said:

Used to get dragged into Hamley's when we went to London. Always found it to be a crowded shop selling exactly the same stuff as you could get in Toys R Us. 

And, unlike Toys R Us, Hamleys still do.

• Agree 4
  • Funny 5

11 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

Had a quick look in the catologue and looking at the J94 I see they now list as DCC Ready. And the railroad pannier in the set says same. I always thought they lacked a socket.

Didn't the 2721 appear in a DCC set a few years back?

1 hour ago, Trains4U said:

Look closer

RRP + 10%

1 hour ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

I don't know what it's like these days, but 15 or 20 years ago, some of the model railway stuff on sale at Hamleys, was priced at r.r.p. plus. 

In other words, more expensive than the r.r.p. as Gareth has said.

+10% does sound about right from the rusty memory cells.

Hamleys used to charge a premium but when they became a Hornby concession that stopped. For a while to they had some great sale prices, although these days the markdowns are far fewer. But prices are genetrally at list.

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

On another note, has anybody noticed the date from Hattons for the NMT power cars? I got an email saying Feb, the release from Hornby said May. Any idea which is right? I hope Feb is right now I have 3 Mk3s!

The price list says June!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 07/01/2020 at 21:25, Dunsignalling said:

I've done a few, though not too many as they should be heavily outnumbered by "standard" Dia.108s.

Currently part way through cutting down a Parkside 24.5 tonner to make a Dia.107. I think there are probably easier ways....

John 

John,

I opted for the BR approach - rebodying a riveted model using the available parkside kit. 

See my thread: 

Cameron

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

It maybe was June TBH, but I was surprised with Feb!

That seems to be the case for all the HSTs, I've preordered the Sir Kenneth Grange set only to receive the same email advising it was now due next month. Personally I do hope it's May as per the original release date! 

• RMweb Premium

I see where Ron Ron Ron’s coming from . Initially I thought it must tilt . But then on thinking about it it would actually be more realistic on my layout if it didn’t . You really do need these long sinuous curves for it to be effective and my layout certainly doesn’t have that . It has lots of crossovers though where tilt will look unrealistic . A good point that actually makes you stop and think .  I reckon most will want tilt though 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Legend said:

I see where Ron Ron Ron’s coming from . Initially I thought it must tilt . But then on thinking about it it would actually be more realistic on my layout if it didn’t . You really do need these long sinuous curves for it to be effective and my layout certainly doesn’t have that . It has lots of crossovers though where tilt will look unrealistic . A good point that actually makes you stop and think .  I reckon most will want tilt though 

The ideal (and probably not all that practical) solution would be for it to be user adjustable.

19 minutes ago, surfsup said:

That seems to be the case for all the HSTs, I've preordered the Sir Kenneth Grange set only to receive the same email advising it was now due next month. Personally I do hope it's May as per the original release date! 

Hah, I sold a load of stuff on eBay so I have the money ready to go (preemptively hoping for some 802s and a GBRF 60) but ended up with yellow stuff.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Trains4U said:

We were in Margate today

orders placed

centenary products allocated (and they are, very sparsely - don’t expect to be able to obtain many!)

The new Rocket and carriages are exquisite. Truly beautiful.

92C9CC64-974A-42E9-BFEA-E6F258A35DA6.jpeg.87316a1161566ba9eac5da0795de2838.jpeg

Im not sure if this has been covered before but is the packaging the same between the Limited Edition and Standard Range Rocket?

Aside from the Certificate and Coach names are there any other differences? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I owned an earlier Triang carriage and 1984 Hornby loco, both since sold, from what you've photographed, the new 21st century models look very much a treat (BTW I've pre-ordered the R3810 standard edition)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Trains4U said:

The standard models are in a mustard yellow box, the same size and style.

Mustard yellow was a Triang Railways box colour, probably originally used for the TT range. I've got Triang TT rails in such boxes.

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Mustard yellow was a Triang Railways box colour, probably originally used for the TT range. I've got Triang TT rails in such boxes.

Yellow was indeed the colour used for the Triang TT range. Not used for any other scales/gauges AFAIIA.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, 90rob said:

Am I the only one who finds this video a bit depressing...?

I’ve got to admit that video coupled with the lack of newer modern image toolings adds to my fears that the future of the hobby hasn’t got much more than the dear old gent at the start / end of the video.

It needs a bit more hope in it.. even if it was the grand kid playing with a Railroad 66, a dad playing with a class 58 and grandad playing with an 8f, each dealing with an accidental derailment at the back of a Christmas tree or something.

Ive got admit though a beaten up 6231 resonates.. here’s my dads first loco..I keep it in the office, it gets run on 2 specific days a year.4951E02B-AFF9-442E-B41B-D290CBE23F9D.jpeg.f71afdf75c14bad801dd648317be9208.jpeg

mine was 37130 and 3 coaches.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, dibber25 said:

This question was asked at the press day. The answer was that the tilt arrangement will be the same as it was on the earlier model. (CJL)

If I recall correctly, the original tilt mechanism was a masterpiece of simplicity. The tilting springs in the APT-E glisten under the interior lighting. 

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

If I recall correctly, the original tilt mechanism was a masterpiece of simplicity. The tilting springs in the APT-E glisten under the interior lighting. 

Why not make it tilt like the real thing... by hand.

:)

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

In the video, it's good to see that the practice of putting the tender on backwards goes back a long way...to the 1920s!

Isn't it a strange phenomenon...

Look at eBay listings...

And a toy shop ages ago did the same!

Models on display with the tender hanging on the coupling hook, backwards! ;)

• Like 2