Hornby 2020 range announcements

AY Mod

5 hours ago, Trains4U said:

We were in Margate today

orders placed

centenary products allocated (and they are, very sparsely - don’t expect to be able to obtain many! From anywhere.)

The new Rocket and carriages are exquisite. Truly beautiful.

92C9CC64-974A-42E9-BFEA-E6F258A35DA6.jpeg.87316a1161566ba9eac5da0795de2838.jpeg

The APT, W1, A2/3, 91 and Mk1 RFO were all 3D prints, and there was a pre-production 2mt on display.

The sliding door Mk3s look great, a big step up from the current model.

A53C1A78-9A11-4E74-8346-878D0517E5C0.jpeg.50c1f2db7b8b62de7a60c41eb6a7968c.jpegE45DA8D1-F69B-4FF7-8AD7-CED1954C8AC8.jpeg.bf41cf4460a05fd2a2997562fe525d3f.jpeg

and whilst we were there, a new addition to the full size collection out-back turned up...

AF5B31E7-C89F-405C-82CA-6DCB52EEDA8C.jpeg.71e454570ad5b77696814568b6d46ac1.jpeg50979994-D0A2-480A-A0F0-1DF7F870CCCC.jpeg.80910ba4936e5464b70855b1f2abd7ec.jpeg

Did you take any more pics at the event?

• RMweb Gold

I haven't yet watched the video, and having "read the reviews", I may not bother!

My own mother at 91 is in pretty good nick aside from fairly advanced sight loss (AMD), but my dad died when he was nine years younger than I am now, after several years of debilitating illness.

Both she and my much loved stepfather (five years younger) have already exceeded average life expectancy and I have come to accept that every day I still have them around is a bonus. I wish for them, the same as I wish for myself. That we continue to welcome each morning as we awake rather than dreading (as I think Dad must have) what the day may hold, and that the end, whenever it may come, be as quick and painless as possible.

To quote the late, great Spike Milligan (however approximately), "I don't fear death, I just don't want to be around when it happens".

In the meantime, no activity or possession that adds to ones enjoyment of life is to be scorned. My models do so, as do my collections of books and music. In absolute terms, I have excessive quantities of all three but I continue to accumulate more and count myself privileged that I am able to do so. Pointless to anyone else, perhaps, but definitely not futile for me.

John  

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

4 hours ago, Clearwater said:

I get the message in the 100 year video.  It’s well put together but bluntly it’s a bit cliched/hackneyed.  It lacks a bit of spark and imagination.

Needs more cowbell and dragons.....

If people haven't watched it, it's alright. A bit John Lewis Christmas ad on a much lower budget I feel.

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

It is a bit bleak and depressing.

Many of us have gone through watching our parents grow old and reach the last phases of life; ...even the very end.

Maybe already lost our own life partner.

Some of us may find ourselves often reflecting on the fact that we ourselves moving ever closer along that trajectory.

Much reflection and sadness that the years and memories have long gone by and suddenly seem so remote and far away.

Most of us middle aged or older folks, have friends or relatives who are in the same boat as us.

I find it quite scary and depressing.

On Xmas day, my 86 year old Father-in-law collapsed at the dining table, shortly after finishing the main course of our long drawn out Christmas Dinner.

He then stopped breathing. 

The ambulance arrived less than a minute after the call went in. My wife was still on the phone giving details as they arrived at the end of the drive.

The official response time was given as 20 seconds !!!

Another paramedic fast response unit arrived a couple of minutes later.

They saved him.

Thanks to modern technology  (they know where you are before you tell them) and a huge stroke of luck that they were passing the end of the road, returning to base when the call went in. Otherwise?

Thankfully he's recovered and is back to his unfortunately frail, but reasonable health (considering his general health problems).

By an incredible coincidence, back at home (we had gone to my in-laws for Xmas), our next door neighbours and very good friends, were in the middle of their family Christmas Dinner, when her 91 year old Dad suddenly had a bad turn and also collapsed at the table.

Same story. Paramedics, Ambulance, got him stable, rushed to hospital etc.

He's still there 2 weeks later. It's not looking good.

Many of us are familiar with these stories. Some of you guys may have been close yourself.

I guess that's why many of us find that Hornby video a bit grim.

Well having depressed you all (put that rope away immediately) I'd better try looking at a much brighter side of life.

Adopting a bit of faux cynicism, I read the message as.....,

....don't waste any more of your time and money on buying our products, because it's all a futile waste of time.

Is it time for bed Nurse?

So glad your father-in-law got professional care so quickly!

When my daughter was born, my wife had a placental abruption. She had gone to the toilet and felt a "pop". First thing I knew was her shouting for me at 3:20am.

When I saw the blood I called 999. I don't know the exact time but it was well under two minutes and the operator told me to open the front door - I couldn't understand why they wanted me to move away from where my wife was. Oh they are here!

Sometimes the NHS gives itself a bad name, sometimes they are our absolute heroes. They saved 2 lives that night.

Edited by Bucoops
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

I watched it and my initial thought was where are the trains . It does seem to be loaded with sentimental mush and indeed it is a little depressing as clearly it’s tracking someone through 100 years with all that entails .

But I get the message . Trains are part of my life . My first trainset was 1965 and I’ve built my collection since then . Amazingly despite being played with intensely these locos are still with me and if they are out evoke memories of these Christmasses , the people who gave them to me , who alas are mainly no longer with us . I had trains through tough times at school , college , exams ,all through life . Trains can absorb you and relax you . I can go up the loft run the trains and just be caught up in my model world for a while as opposed to the harem scarem world outside . So I get what they were trying to achieve , but I think they missed !

i don’t know what the films for . I recognise some of the people so I think it’s been done in house and probably didn’t cost a fortune , but i’d Suggest it’s not really going to get people to rush out and buy a Hornby .

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

The Rocket set does look superb but I can't help feeling that Hornby have missed a trick if they wanted something to make a splash alongside the complete Coronation Scot train:

George the Fifth with LNWR 57 ft carriages and Lion too! (5:10 - 6:00)

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 5

Have Hornby reverted back to their old tooling for the Class 31, as you can see below the rim around the roof vent sits proud of the body which I understand was rectified in their previous recent releases.

image.png.1e38088be1d1d2ae58943f1c5f2f9627.png

I'm sure it's a mistake in using the wrong loco graphic for this release but it shows this on their website and at the beginning of this thread.

Edited by classy52

They've got some nice stuff and despite my New Years Resolution, I pre-ordered the ordinary Rocket.  I'm in two minds about a couple of other locos but I might join in the "celebrations" and put down for a Smokey Joe.  Concerning the Celebration offerings, the only problem with the Centenary "Duchess of Atholl" is that its in the wrong box!  Ok, they're celebrating the 40s, but as the loco is 2-rail, it should really be in a red with white stripes box.....

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

The Rocket set does look superb but I can't help feeling that Hornby have missed a trick if they wanted something to make a splash alongside the complete Coronation Scot train:

George the Fifth with LNWR 57 ft carriages and Lion too! (5:10 - 6:00)

Two express locos and a goods loco....  :rolleyes:

But nice to see Lion chuffing along!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

31 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Have Hornby reverted back to their old tooling for the Class 31, as you can see below the rim around the roof vent sits proud of the body which I understand was rectified in their previous recent releases.

I'm sure it's a mistake in using the wrong loco graphic for this release but it shows this on their website and at the beginning of this thread.

I dont think it was a case of 'rectified' and it was there intentionally as some were fitted with it. Its probably one of those details that model manufacturers seem to love picking out (probably intentionally to make renumbering more difficult and sell more future releases!). I had a quick flick through quite a lot of pictures and these were the best examples I could find

Class 31 - 31601

Class 31

31xxx Shrewsbury 310891

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

19 minutes ago, GordonC said:

I dont think it was a case of 'rectified' and it was there intentionally as some were fitted with it. Its probably one of those details that model manufacturers seem to love picking out (probably intentionally to make renumbering more difficult and sell more future releases!). I had a quick flick through quite a lot of pictures and these were the best examples I could find

Thanks for that, I didn't realise the Class 31 had proud & flush roof vent rims and yes it is an accurate depiction of 31147.

Edited by classy52

• RMweb Premium

I see the catalogue now has the correctly identified Scotrail Inter7City mk 3s ,in particular the TGFB (R4907/A) seems correctly identified . I think last year when first announced it was assumed to be a TGS variant . So that's good

Still confused over formation though . Variants are R4937/A Which is a TS (marked coach C in illustration)   R4890/A/B/C  described as a TSL and marked as coach D and the aforementioned R4907/A TGFB marked as Coach A

It looks to me to get a 4 coach rake I need 1X R4907 , 1X R4937 and 2 X R4890 , but how do I know which of these R4890s is coach B?

Sorry if being dense .

• Agree 1

Wow a very ambitious year for Hornsby indeed. For me personally the BR Standard 2MT 78XX has to be the highlight I cannot understand why it has taken so long for a RTR of this locomotive to appear. This will be a big big seller I'm sure and according to Hattons website I've got a year to save up :D.....now how about a Stainer 2-6-2 tank Hornby  :drink_mini:   Us modellers are never satisfied are we ....

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

17 hours ago, TomScrut said:

On another note, has anybody noticed the date from Hattons for the NMT power cars? I got an email saying Feb, the release from Hornby said May. Any idea which is right? I hope Feb is right now I have 3 Mk3s!

I have asked Hattons and they have come back saying it's an error and it's summer they are due

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, classy52 said:

Hi Classy52,

The image looks correct to me. Quite a few 31’s had the vertical radiator grills fitted during heavy overhaul in the early 90’s and the raised cowl around the fan. Modifications designed to improve clean air flow to prevent over heating and reduce failures. It’s only the second release with the vertical grill after the first release 31110. I think this will be a popular choice from Hornby which will hopefully encourage a late blue 31/4 which is most requested in various topics on here.

Ive had a conversion to create 31467 on my bench for several years which would go nice with this on a ballast working.

Cheers

Mark

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, MRDBLUE17 said:

Hi Classy52,

The image looks correct to me. Quite a few 31’s had the vertical radiator grills fitted during heavy overhaul in the early 90’s and the raised cowl around the fan. Modifications designed to improve clean air flow to prevent over heating and reduce failures. It’s only the second release with the vertical grill after the first release 31110. I think this will be a popular choice from Hornby which will hopefully encourage a late blue 31/4 which is most requested in various topics on here.

Ive had a conversion to create 31467 on my bench for several years which would go nice with this on a ballast working.

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark,

Cheers for the info and yes I had been corrected earlier and acknowledged there were differences in the roof vents on the 31's.

I vaguely remember reading there was an issue with an earlier Hornby Network Rail 31 that had this type of rim which may have been incorrect for that model but I genuinely didn't know this type of rim was on the prototype but I do now.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Hi Mark,

Cheers for the info and yes I had been corrected earlier and acknowledged there were differences in the roof vents on the 31's.

I vaguely remember reading there was an issue with an earlier Hornby Network Rail 31 that had this type of rim which may have been incorrect for that model but I genuinely didn't know this type of rim was on the prototype but I do now.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

No worries the 31’s especially the late 80’s/early 90’s are a bit of a minefield to model as things changed during overhaul. They are a favourite of mine growing up watching them on the Furness line with around 10 for my 90’s project. Set roughly around 1992 when I was 12 lol! I’ve recently got 602 in Network Rail to go with the earlier 31233 I had which go nicely with the new 2f coaches.

Cheers 

Mark

• Like 2

On 09/01/2020 at 07:54, Sir TophamHatt said:

While they are London-centered, the Electrostar family is still a good bet as the changes between each class wouldn't be huge.  But then I don't see much of the Desiro family (come on, the 185 would be easy, surely?) being made, despite having a lot of the groundwork already in place.

I'm surprised Bachmann haven't done a 360 tbh. Tooling change from the 350 should be restricted to the gangwayless nose and not fitting the pickup shoes. The 444 or 185 is a much heavier change -- the coaches will all need stretching by ~3m for a start. Both are probably in "new project" territory.

OTOH, If someone /were/ to make an Electrostar, I'll be having at least one, if not two. Doesn't fit in my typical modelling era or area at all. But it *would* happen -- I've got enough memories of the real thing I'd want at least one.

But please not this year -- there's too much in my "must have" list already. And still a few older things I still haven't managed to save up for yet...

• Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, papagolfjuliet said:

Somebody may have already posted this - it's a busy thread - but there's one more centenary special: this year's Club exclusive 0-4-0 is the Holden tank in red, with the anniversary logo. 

See here: https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/memberships

I noticed that, and the "decent" model is still the Class H, which makes it the third year that it has been offered as the sole model.  I think everyone who wanted one joined when it was first offered, and if not, joined last year and got the Yellow Bagnall.

Unless something new pops up in the next few months, I don't think a warmed over "anniversary-logo Holden" and another chance to buy an H is much of an incentive to join!

And a big hint on page 66 about TTS Chips “ ..but the (Hornby) engineers are constantly looking at way to improve sound quality in the Hornby models, and are beginning to fit alternative speaker fitting  options into the newly tooled models in the 2020 range, such as A2, 2MT and W1. The design of the class 91 will introduce a new speaker configuration and application for Hornby taking TTS forward in its development”. !!

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Bloodnok said:

I'm surprised Bachmann haven't done a 360 tbh. Tooling change from the 350 should be restricted to the gangwayless nose and not fitting the pickup shoes. The 444 or 185 is a much heavier change -- the coaches will all need stretching by ~3m for a start. Both are probably in "new project" territory.

OTOH, If someone /were/ to make an Electrostar, I'll be having at least one, if not two. Doesn't fit in my typical modelling era or area at all. But it *would* happen -- I've got enough memories of the real thing I'd want at least one.

But please not this year -- there's too much in my "must have" list already. And still a few older things I still haven't managed to save up for yet...

I'd imagine the 185 bogies are completely different too given they have an entirely different transmission?