Hornby 2020 range announcements

AY Mod

8 hours ago, newbryford said:

I think we're up to 4 DB red Hornby 60s now.

60007/044/062/100

007 isn't the normal livery though is it? I'd argue it would be in the same category as the Drax and Tata ones in being a "celeb" (if that's a thing with 60s)

I suppose with a bit of work it could be taken back to base red though?

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Robin Brasher said:

Not sure if all WHS shops are offering a discount. Swanage WHS wanted the full amount but that was the day before the offer started.

That was my experience in Newbury (High St) on Thursday. I didn't mind paying full price and it's interesting to try a magazine I don't buy very often.

Still, I do think making the catalogue available in branches of Smiths and Tesco is a very clever move. It makes it vastly more accessible and easy for people to just 'pick up a copy' as an impulse purchase.

Edited by MrTea
Missed my main point!
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

007 isn't the normal livery though is it? I'd argue it would be in the same category as the Drax and Tata ones in being a "celeb" (if that's a thing with 60s)

I suppose with a bit of work it could be taken back to base red though?

Even with extra branding, 60007 is DB red as per Danny's post.

It adds further weight to the fact that Hornby have done/are doing four red 60s that have names that make it more difficult to simply renumber and add another name if required.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, newbryford said:

It adds further weight to the fact that Hornby have done/are doing four red 60s that have names that make it more difficult to simply renumber and add another name if required.

I suppose ‘dowlow’ would be the easiest to rename with its short nameplate?

annoyingly of the 4 Hornby have produced I’ve driven 3 of them but don’t have any of them for my layout! 

I do think yet have missed a trick with not doing a GBRf one and redoing a colas one

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, big jim said:

I’ve ended up buying just the catalog for £10 from smiths as I remembered that Hornby mag is on The Readly app anyway 

tomorrow it’s off to trident trains with a list of R numbers for stuff I want to order! 

Jim

:offtopic: Does Readly work? Was thinking about using it but had some pretty bad reviews.

Ta

Tony

Edited by ruggedpeak

33 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Yes it's red but would easily be the worst to rename surely?

1 hour ago, big jim said:

I do think yet have missed a trick with not doing a GBRf one and redoing a colas one

Especially with the amount of GBRf liveried items they announced for 2020. I've forgotten when the GBRf liveried Class 60 made it's debut, but I know that the annual ranges are finalized in June/July. However Hornby have now gotten into the habit of announcing a small mid-year range. We might see quite a few things announced.

The mid-year range normally includes last minute items that have found production slots.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, newbryford said:

Or they find that ones with names sell better?

50 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Especially with the amount of GBRf liveried items they announced for 2020. I've forgotten when the GBRf liveried Class 60 made it's debut, but I know that the annual ranges are finalized in June/July. However Hornby have now gotten into the habit of announcing a small mid-year range. We might see quite a few things announced.

The mid-year range normally includes last minute items that have found production slots.

While there is that, The Avanti liveried Pendolino has to be a surprise inclusion given it's livery was only released on the 9th of December, whereas the GBRf livery was unveiled on the 60 as far back as September 2018. Hopefully a GB liveried 60 will be an inclusion in the "Mid Year" announcement. 

Just checked, it was September 2018. Here is Carl Watson's photo of the beast that is 095. 

http://www.carlswatson.com/Trains/Galleries 2018/Galleries 201809/20180928ArlingtonEastleighWorks/eastleighworks28thseptember2018.html

Edited by surfsup
Correction of the date of 095.
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, ruggedpeak said:

Jim

:offtopic: Does Readly work? Was thinking about using it but had some pretty bad reviews.

Ta

Tony

Works fine for me, OK only been using it a week or so. Browsing my way through 5 years' worth of Model Rail currently. It's great for 'dipping in' to magazines I wouldn't normally buy seeking out interesting articles here and there. Plus SWMBO gets to read all sorts of stuff she likes as part of the same subscription.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, surfsup said:

While there is that, The Avanti liveried Pendolino has to be a surprise inclusion given it's livery was only released on the 9th of December, whereas the GBRf livery was unveiled on the 60 as far back as September 2018. Hopefully a GB liveried 60 will be an inclusion in the "Mid Year" announcement. 

Just checked, it was September 2018. Here is Carl Watson's photo of the beast that is 095. 

http://www.carlswatson.com/Trains/Galleries 2018/Galleries 201809/20180928ArlingtonEastleighWorks/eastleighworks28thseptember2018.html

Have to agree, the only possible explanation for the Avanti Pendolino is that it's a brand new shiny livery on a high speed train. Avanti West Coast may also be a TOC that is quite supportive.

Edited by MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Robin Brasher said:

Not sure if all WHS shops are offering a discount. Swanage WHS wanted the full amount but that was the day before the offer started. Last year I took it up with their head office who assured me that the offer applied to all WHS shops and they gave me a £10 voucher for the inconvenience. I was hoping that they would get the message across this year.

6 hours ago, MrTea said:

That was my experience in Newbury (High St) on Thursday. I didn't mind paying full price and it's interesting to try a magazine I don't buy very often.

WH Smith are hopeless.  I'm in Stafford.  As last year the tills are not programmed with the discount.  Same happened to me last year and I paid the full price.  This time I abandoned the transaction at the auto tills and insisted on the discount at the staffed till.  The exasperated staff member had to put it through manually whilst a huge queue was building up.  I was not the first to claim the deal that day, so why don't they get it fixed?

I assume Key Publishing have actually mentioned this deal to Smiths? :rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

• Friendly/supportive 1

I was in WHS in Paisley last Thursday and again, while they had both the magazine and catalogue, next to each other, there was no mention of the combined offer. I was not prepared to waste time queuing for the staffed till and then having to convince them of the discount. It is a great offer but really has to be organised better on the 'shop floor'.

• Agree 2

52 minutes ago, 87004 said:

WH Smith are hopeless.  I'm in Stafford.  As last year the tills are not programmed with the discount.  Same happened to me last year and I paid the full price.  This time I abandoned the transaction at the auto tills and insisted on the discount at the staffed till.  The exasperated staff member had to put it through manually whilst a huge queue was building up.  I was not the first to claim the deal that day, so why don't they get it fixed?

I assume Key Publishing have actually mentioned this deal to Smiths? :rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

Was it a proper smiths or a franchise?

I work in several post offices that have a small WH Smiths part. They are all private owned and not operated by smiths there a franchise so wouldnt offer the deal - but having said that we wouldnt have had the catologues in the first place

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Has any shop or box shifter still got any Hornby centenary Diecast Dublo Duchess of Athol left for pre order? I seem to have hesitated too long and now can't find any.

Antics?

https://anticsonline.uk/N425/N2333_hornby-trains-2020-range/108532052_hornby-oo-gauge-r3819-lms-6231-duchess-of-atholl.html

all the best,

Keith

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Am I the only one who finds the amount of angst expressed over the availability (or not) of a four quid discount on a catalogue rather hilarious when we'll all be contemplating spending hundreds on items described therein...? :diablo_mini:

John

• Agree 6
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

Was it a proper smiths or a franchise?

I work in several post offices that have a small WH Smiths part. They are all private owned and not operated by smiths there a franchise so wouldnt offer the deal - but having said that we wouldnt have had the catologues in the first place

Full fat WHSmith with franchise Post Office counters upstairs.  Two failing organisations together?

• Funny 1

18 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Am I the only one who finds the amount of angst expressed over the availability (or not) of a four quid discount on a catalogue rather hilarious when we'll all be contemplating spending hundreds on items described therein...? :diablo_mini:

John

No. But I may be the only one who finds it strange to pay so much for a catalogue which, after all, is a marketing tool to promote those items. 

• Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, ruggedpeak said:

Jim

Ta

Tony

no issues with it on my iPad, certainly worth the monthly subs as I am reading a lot more mags I wouldn’t bother with normally such as car mags

easier to use than the the one that BRM comes on (exactly) 

• Thanks 1