Hornby 2020 range announcements

AY Mod

4 minutes ago, truffy said:

No. But I may be the only one who finds it strange to pay so much for a catalogue which, after all, is a marketing tool to promote those items. 

I rather suspect that the actual marketing tool is threads like this - the catalogue is more of a collector's item nowadays when everything can be looked up online.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, surfsup said:

While there is that, The Avanti liveried Pendolino has to be a surprise inclusion given it's livery was only released on the 9th of December, whereas the GBRf livery was unveiled on the 60 as far back as September 2018. Hopefully a GB liveried 60 will be an inclusion in the "Mid Year" announcement. 

Just checked, it was September 2018. Here is Carl Watson's photo of the beast that is 095. 

http://www.carlswatson.com/Trains/Galleries 2018/Galleries 201809/20180928ArlingtonEastleighWorks/eastleighworks28thseptember2018.html

I drove it from oxford to Doncaster the day it was released into traffic after painting, by the time I got to Doncaster I had a blinding headache as the paint smell was so strong! 

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

1 hour ago, caradoc said:

I was in WHS in Paisley last Thursday 

Some one posted earlier that the deal in WHS only started on the Friday.  Similarly in Tesco it started on the Thursday. They also said it was for a limited period.  Computerised tills in Tesco and WHS are normally updated centrally, so be polite to staff, it's probably not within their control.

From my own experience the offer was not available in Tesco at about 9pm on the Wednesday (January edition of Hornby mag on display), but was available early on Thursday morning with the Febuary mag.

Regards Roddy

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, eldomtom2 said:

I rather suspect that the actual marketing tool is threads like this - the catalogue is more of a collector's item nowadays when everything can be looked up online.

Yeah it's a bit of 50/50 isn't it. I have done my ordering before getting my catalogue (waiting for Rails to dispatch it), but I like to look at them.

On the other hand (as I have mentioned to somebody on Facebook) plenty of shops (hydraulic shops, machine tool shops, motor factors etc) all give out catalogues far far bigger than the Hornby catalogue whilst also probably being far smaller companies.

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Roddy Angus said:

Some one posted earlier that the deal in WHS only started on the Friday.  Similarly in Tesco it started on the Thursday. They also said it was for a limited period.  Computerised tills in Tesco and WHS are normally updated centrally, so be polite to staff, it's probably not within their control.

From my own experience the offer was not available in Tesco at about 9pm on the Wednesday (January edition of Hornby mag on display), but was available early on Thursday morning with the Febuary mag.

Regards Roddy

Still available for the same price, free postage, from Key Publishing, a lot less faff than buying in a shop by the sound of it.

https://shop.keypublishing.com/product/View/productCode/SPECHM20BUN/Hornby Catalogue/HM Feb 2020 Bundle

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

If you save the pennies the pounds take care of themselves.

I'm saving even more by not buying one at all. :rolleyes: I think it's mainly aimed at people who collect catalogues anyway.

Hornby's catalogue design just leaves me cold and I consider the photoshopped side views (other forms of fakery are available and may have been used) to be wholly sterile.

Nowadays, all the product knowledge required to make buying decisions can be simply obtained online and estimated delivery dates are more likely to be up-to-date there.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
On 12/01/2020 at 16:47, tractionman said:

Order placed.  Many thanks Keith.

Edit:

I received an e mail today from Antics saying that they had cancelled my order as they "could not supply"

Gareth of Trains4U has come to the rescue. Thank you Gareth.

Edited by Colin_McLeod
Update
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Roddy Angus said:

Regards Roddy

I used to work at Tesco, the challenge was getting the new centrally decided pricing labels printed and out onto the shelves before the punters reached the tills!! Bit like getting seat reservations labels onto a train at Kings Cross I guess!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

Hornby's catalogue design just leaves me cold and I consider the photoshopped side views (other forms of fakery are available and may have been used) to be wholly sterile.

Nowadays, all the product knowledge required to make buying decisions can be simply obtained online and estimated delivery dates are more likely to be up-to-date there.

Totally agree, I buy a catalogue every few years as some sort of momento I suppose but online information makes them pretty much redundant. If I was a newcomer to the hobby the Peco catalogue would be a much better place to start, that has photos of inspirational layouts, short sections on different aspects of railway modelling and of course details of Peco products. It's much the same size and quality as the Hornby catalogue and half the price!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, surfsup said:

What wouldn't have helped Hornby's sales of the DCR 56 was that, around the same time that the model was released, the real 56303 had an accident in Wembley Yard. I don't think it's actually left Wembley since and may be sat there still with it's drooping cab. 

One of the Grey DCR 56's may have been a better choice at the time. 

Yes, it's unfortunate that the real life loco suffered from damage in an accident at around the same time that the model was released by Hornby. Also unfortunate is that their is only 303 that has worn the green DCR livery, and thus the Hornby model could not be renumbered in order to represent another prototype. 

At least if the same happened to either 091 or 103 in DC Rail grey the model could be renumbered to represent the other loco even if not entirely accurate. 

I am sure in 2021 we will either see a DC Rail grey 56 or 60, or maybe even both. 

19 hours ago, newbryford said:

I think we're up to 4 DB red Hornby 60s now.

60007/044/062/100

It's a good job you know and remember these things Mick. I had forgotten about 007. 

That validates your initial point even more, now that we have four DB 60s and none have just been without any additional branding or nameplates, thus making it easy to renumber. 

Hornby have definitely missed a trick their I would say. 

10 hours ago, newbryford said:

Even with extra branding, 60007 is DB red as per Danny's post.

It adds further weight to the fact that Hornby have done/are doing four red 60s that have names that make it more difficult to simply renumber and add another name if required.

I agree Mick. I like how this time Hornby have announced 50007 & 50049 in GBRf livery as per their 2019 range with 67021 & 67024 in Pullman livery. Previously when they announced 67027 in Colas livery they didn't announce 67023 to go with it and they haven't announced it in their 2020 range either. 

This makes the point that where their are just two locos in the same livery but with different names and numbers it makes sense to announce and produce them both at the same time. But with the DB 60s with so many of them now wearing DB Red it would have been good for Hornby and more for convenient for customers to produce a 60 without additional branding (so not 007) and without nameplates (so not 044, 062 & 100) to allow modellers to create individual locos for their fleet and to potentially create a few of the class in the same livery. But then again Hornby can keep tempting modellers with different branded, numbered and named 60s to potentially get them to buy each one or as many as what they can tempt them with. So from a selling point of view their actual DB Red Class 60 range probably works well for them in terms of profit. 

10 hours ago, big jim said:

I suppose ‘dowlow’ would be the easiest to rename with its short nameplate?

annoyingly of the 4 Hornby have produced I’ve driven 3 of them but don’t have any of them for my layout! 

I do think yet have missed a trick with not doing a GBRf one and redoing a colas one

Have you ever driven a DB Red 60 Jim? Am I right in thinking that you have never worked for EWS/DB Schenker/DB? Although if Colas or GBRf have ever hired one in you may have driven one. 

I have to say I don't really model DB but 062 with the new large DB logos is tempting...

60095 in GBRf livery would be nice. 

• RMweb Gold

I bought a catalogue a couple of years ago, and looked through it precisely once. The Hornby Dublo Book Of Trains - anyone else remember that? - it wasn't. Hornby products are often just what I want, but the catalogue, at that price, is derisory. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I buy them every year because I collect them . I had every original one since 1970 and went back to acquire the ones that hadn’t survived my grubby mits as a kid , so I’ve now got them back to 1965 (as Tri-ang Railways) .  I thought this years edition was not bad , but really the previous few years , probably the last 15 in fact (apart when they missed one 2016?)  Have all looked pretty much the same . They could have done something a bit better for this year to capitalise on the nostalgia market .  Overall I get the impression that the catalogue is something to be put up with . They’ve learned the collector wants one every year but their hearts not in it , just update the previous years , use a few standard photos they have on hand .  A bit of lazy marketing there I think. 

To be honest the Bachmann one is pretty uninspiring too .  Remember the great Hornby catalogues of the 70s or the 1980 one “Welcome to our world” , ironically introducing the new APT. Or even  the first couple of Mainline Catalogues . These were inspiring . 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Is the rumour I read in Facebook about there being a reference to a TPE 802 in one of the lists in the catalogue true or a load of rubbish? Just surprised it's not mentioned here but the person who mentioned it to me had heard not seen by the sounds of it.

Edited by TomScrut

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Is the rumour I read in Facebook about there being a reference to a TPE 802 in one of the lists in the catalogue true or a load of rubbish? Just surprised it's not mentioned here but the person who mentioned it to me had heard not seen by the sounds of it.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/150670-Hornby-2020-catalogue-revelations/

• Thanks 1

Still no ex LMS  Suburban BR Maroon Lined Livery Coaches announced, many must want these surely,

Hornby please take note, just surprised as they would sell well, but they keep releasing the plain

what ever shade of red they use,  get these made so I can get rid of my Dapol ex Airfix ones.

Edited by paul 27
  • Agree 1

Just browsing through the new 2020 catalogue and have just noticed that R3709 LMS crimson 6201 Princess Elizabeth is not even listed for release.

An omission on Hornby's part I wonder ?

The special edition pack with 46201 in early BR black livery however does looks splendid together with the two Stanier coaches.

On 12/01/2020 at 17:20, truffy said:

No. But I may be the only one who finds it strange to pay so much for a catalogue which, after all, is a marketing tool to promote those items. 

I think they are useful if like me you tend to buy used. For example, the combined Marklin-Trix catalogue is around 780 pages. All that info, including parts pdf. going back 10+ years is on their website which is indeed excellent, however, it's really hard to find older things without part numbers. The search fuction is also only available in German.

The Bachmann and Hornby websites are extremely ameuterish by comparison.

Edited by maico
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

The special edition pack with 46201 in early BR black livery however does looks splendid together with the two Stanier coaches.

I agree, however is this pack using the old tooling for the Princess Royal? From the image it looks that way, but then the new ones aren't even out yet.

Henry

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Legend said:

To be honest the Bachmann one is pretty uninspiring too .  Remember the great Hornby catalogues of the 70s or the 1980 one “Welcome to our world” , ironically introducing the new APT. Or even  the first couple of Mainline Catalogues . These were inspiring . 

I found the later catalogues just to be a list of stuff to buy.

The 1980 catalogue really made you want to buy the stuff.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I got this Catalogue mainly as it’s 100 years and a good price with Hornby magazine. The last I got was the 50th edition really just to collect. I thought there was a lot in this years edition though and it made it easy to look at the Catalogue numbers for ordering the items I really would like to get.

DB red 60100, GBRF 50049, The HST NMT power cars and then several coaches for starters. Interestingly none of the new tooling items but I’m delighted by the chosen relivery options this year.

There is more I would like depending how business is this year and of course the items from

other sources that need funded. 

Again I think plenty of choice from Hornby that should suit a wide range of modellers, eras and interests so I hope is a successful year again for them.

cheers

Mark

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Just browsing through the new 2020 catalogue and have just noticed that R3709 LMS crimson 6201 Princess Elizabeth is not even listed for release.

An omission on Hornby's part I wonder ?

It may just be that Hornby has sold out to pre-orders. When the catalogue was finalised last year, if this model was still expected in 2019 they might not have wanted to include something that was no longer available.

Bachmann has done the same in the past.

Edited by brushman47544