Hornby 2020 range announcements

AY Mod

27 minutes ago, ThaneofFife said:

Could do with some help on the blue/grey and executive releases of the Mk1 RBRs.....not knowing the diagrams which Hornby models would fit with typical Euston-Wolverhampton or Euston - Glasgow/Liverpool/Manchester WCML services of these periods?

Thread about the RBs and RBRs here. Lots of useful information and photos in it.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/150549-mk1-restaurant-buffet-rb/#comments

Jason

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I just thought that I would let everyone know that it appears Hornby will produce the R3903 (43021 & 43132) Power Car set in ScotRail Inter7Cities livery. In one of my previous posts I thought that because the description on the Hornby website mentioned 'A New Era' they were going to produce them in the plain, debranded FGW livery, with the names of the seven cities on the side with the 'A New Era' branding at the side of the drivers cab doors. 

I have reached this conclusion because it appears as though Hattons have updated the description of the power car set on their website. In some respects I would have preferred the plain, debranded FGW livery with the 'A New Era' branding as opposed to another power car set in Inter7Cities livery. The only reason I can think of that another set in the same livery is going to be produced when the first set (43033 & 43183) have only just arrived a few months ago is because 43021 & 43132 in the debranded livery mostly worked with the debranded FGW MK3s and as Hornby haven't announced any as part of the 2020 range, it's likely that most people wouldn't want to model a train that wasn't prototypical.

Hope this helps. 

With reference to the catalogue, which arrived today, and the "Rovex" Princess Set.

In the description, the loco is described as a "Princess Coronation" class, when it is of the "Princess Royal" class.

The Princess Coronation class is the official name for the larger "Duchesses" and "Cities".

In the components of the set section, the term "A4" is also used...

I'm available for proof reading! ;)

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 3
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

It may just be that Hornby has sold out to pre-orders. When the catalogue was finalised last year, if this model was still expected in 2019 they might not have wanted to include something that was no longer available.

Bachmann has done the same in the past.

A plausible and sensible explanation, however this loco is still available to order on the Hornby website and at the majority of approved outlets. 

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, paul 27 said:

Still no ex LMS  Suburban BR Maroon Lined Livery Coaches announced, many must want these surely,

Hornby please take note, just surprised as they would sell well, but they keep releasing the plain

what ever shade of red they use,  get these made so I can get rid of my Dapol ex Airfix ones.

1 hour ago, Black 5 Bear said:

A plausible and sensible explanation, however this loco is still available to order on the Hornby website and at the majority of approved outlets. 

Likewise the Gresley and Thompson non corridors would sell in proper lined maroon I think

Edited by MikeParkin65
  • Agree 1

I am fancying an Evening Star at some point. I would suppose the consensus it that cost no object the NRM Bachmann one would be the one to go for? It has a bit more copper embellishments than the standard Bachmann (and the gloss finish), but I am thinking the new anniversary Hornby one will be inferior to the Bachmann one as it's just a railroad spec model AFAIK?

Edited by TomScrut

13 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I am fancying an Evening Star at some point. I would suppose the consensus it that cost no object the NRM Bachmann one would be the one to go for? It has a bit more copper embellishments than the standard Bachmann (and the gloss finish), but I am thinking the new anniversary Hornby one will be inferior to the Bachmann one as it's just a railroad spec model AFAIK?

Correct. The Bachmann model even though its is many years old is still much better than the Hornby one. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

I just thought that I would let everyone know that it appears Hornby will produce the R3903 (43021 & 43132) Power Car set in ScotRail Inter7Cities livery. In one of my previous posts I thought that because the description on the Hornby website mentioned 'A New Era' they were going to produce them in the plain, debranded FGW livery, with the names of the seven cities on the side with the 'A New Era' branding at the side of the drivers cab doors. 

I have reached this conclusion because it appears as though Hattons have updated the description of the power car set on their website. In some respects I would have preferred the plain, debranded FGW livery with the 'A New Era' branding as opposed to another power car set in Inter7Cities livery. The only reason I can think of that another set in the same livery is going to be produced when the first set (43033 & 43183) have only just arrived a few months ago is because 43021 & 43132 in the debranded livery mostly worked with the debranded FGW MK3s and as Hornby haven't announced any as part of the 2020 range, it's likely that most people wouldn't want to model a train that wasn't prototypical.

Hope this helps. 

Yes this is a puzzler . The Catalogue makes reference to "A New Era" yet the Power Cars are in full blown Inter7City livery . I really do wonder if someone meant to model it in the old GWR livery with "A New Era"  then used the wrong illustration, why else would they refer to it?  It is odd they are producing a second run of Inter7City powercars when the first lot haven't sold out.  But on the other hand there would be no matching coaches to go with A New Era powercars

Confused.com

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Legend said:

Yes this is a puzzler . The Catalogue makes reference to "A New Era" yet the Power Cars are in full blown Inter7City livery . I really do wonder if someone meant to model it in the old GWR livery with "A New Era"  then used the wrong illustration, why else would they refer to it?  It is odd they are producing a second run of Inter7City powercars when the first lot haven't sold out.  But on the other hand there would be no matching coaches to go with A New Era powercars

Confused.com

My thoughts exactly. 

Especially when so many retailers have still got the first set of Inter7Cities power cars available and at significantly reduced prices. I mean is the Inter7Cities livery really that popular to produce two sets of power cars to arrive within the same year of each other? Personally, I wouldn't think so. Even the GWR Green power cars haven't sold out after many months of been available and many retailers still have all three releases so far of 43187 & 43188, 43005 & 43041 and 43016 & 43093 available. Given that GWR Green seems a popular livery and area to model for many modellers and all three sets produced so far are still available it would suggest that because the Inter7Cities power cars will be specifically confined to working in Scotland that these will be less popular to model. 

Producing the interim livery of debranded FGW with 'A New Era' branding I think would have been more sensible rather than producing a direct duplication of the same livery within a year of the previous set becoming available. It's not even as if either of said Inter7Cities power car sets have been named in reality and thus would be named on the models produced by Hornby. Then their would be more of a difference between the sets other than just the running numbers. 

I suppose for anyone modelling Scotland and the new short formed HST sets it's brilliant news, but I highly doubt that the second set will fly off of the shelves given the first set hasn't. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

My thoughts exactly. 

Especially when so many retailers have still got the first set of Inter7Cities power cars available and at significantly reduced prices. I mean is the Inter7Cities livery really that popular to produce two sets of power cars to arrive within the same year of each other? Personally, I wouldn't think so. Even the GWR Green power cars haven't sold out after many months of been available and many retailers still have all three releases so far of 43187 & 43188, 43005 & 43041 and 43016 & 43093 available. Given that GWR Green seems a popular livery and area to model for many modellers and all three sets produced so far are still available it would suggest that because the Inter7Cities power cars will be specifically confined to working in Scotland that these will be less popular to model. 

Producing the interim livery of debranded FGW with 'A New Era' branding I think would have been more sensible rather than producing a direct duplication of the same livery within a year of the previous set becoming available. It's not even as if either of said Inter7Cities power car sets have been named in reality and thus would be named on the models produced by Hornby. Then their would be more of a difference between the sets other than just the running numbers. 

I suppose for anyone modelling Scotland and the new short formed HST sets it's brilliant news, but I highly doubt that the second set will fly off of the shelves given the first set hasn't. 

But the "new era" branding was a very short-lived interim and probably never saw passenger service (and could only have done so on debranded GWR slam door stock prior to the power cars being overhauled)- hardly worth modelling such an obscure lash-up, especially when the six-years of service by 40% of the fleet FGW "Barbie" blue with pink swoosh has NEVER been done. 

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, JohnR said:

Surprised there hasnt been any GWR Barbie swoosh coaches done - still plenty running between Inter7City branded Power Cars up here, let alone their use on GWR for years. 

I'm sure I read something on here somewhere about GWR being funny about use of old liveries. Maybe why?

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

Weren't they always that?

Not the original intention.

Simon explains it in the video (between time 14:40 and 16:43).

Railroad was originally created to provide affordable add-ons for the kids train set market.

In his words, things evolve.

They've observed that some modellers would use Railroad items as the raw material and upgrade them and also that Railroad has appealed to some of those modellers who "don't have such big budgets".

From what he says, Railroad Plus appears to be aimed at the latter.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

26 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

He's had time to polish the narrative on the claimed justification for the 66.

...and avoided talking about the Class 91 & Terrier even though it was in the title of that segment unless it was edited out, but later the Class 91 question pops up & again didn't say anything at all.

Edited by classy52
  • Agree 5