Hornby 2020 range announcements

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
On 26/01/2020 at 11:14, Jamiel said:

Here is a link to the NHS advice of viruses, it seems that the time of the journey from China would make the virus inert.

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/infections/how-long-do-bacteria-and-viruses-live-outside-the-body/

Hopefully/probably this will apply to Coronavirus too, as it is a respiratory virus.

I am quite excited about the Hornby announcements, it seems quite ambitious, hopefully the UK market will be financially secure enough to support it.

Airfreight might survive long enough.

• RMweb Gold
On 25/01/2020 at 15:06, Hroth said:

Provided you don't take it out of the box or lick it if you do, you should be ok. 

I read that the virus probably can stay viable for around two weeks away from people so if your Shed left the PRC before the end of last year, you should be able to be as intimate with it as you like!

See, now I’ve got this disturbing mental image, and I can’t unget it...

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 26/01/2020 at 11:14, Jamiel said:

Here is a link to the NHS advice of viruses, it seems that the time of the journey from China would make the virus inert.

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/infections/how-long-do-bacteria-and-viruses-live-outside-the-body/

Hopefully/probably this will apply to Coronavirus too, as it is a respiratory virus.

I am quite excited about the Hornby announcements, it seems quite ambitious, hopefully the UK market will be financially secure enough to support it.

3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Airfreight might survive long enough.

So those who paid extra for air freight could have an additional bonus included!  ;)

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

It seems that people who caught this virus had to be within 1 metre of the infected person. This the short transmission distance, could mean that its survival outside the body is actually very short indeed. So don't worry about a parcel.

I find it hard to believe that a plane which flew from China to France (a good 10 hour flight) with 2 infected people, that only 1 other person caught it (in a cramped aircraft with 200+ people). This suggests it has a poor ability to spread or is not very infectious. The common cold is still far more deadly!  

The virus could mutate and become more spreadable though.

Edited by JSpencer
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

While appreciating severity of the situation , and really thoughts should be with folks in China and elsewhere that must be suffering and worrying about this.  Health is No1 but  this is a model railway forum . I also appreciate the connection with manufacturing in China and our trains might be late , but really does that matter in the overall scheme of things .   However this is the Hornby 2020 thread , which has been very interesting up to now . Can we get back on subject of trains and leave details of viruses to the news?

• Agree 6

1 minute ago, Legend said:

Can we get back on subject of trains and leave details of viruses to the news?

And leave advice on contagion and prevention to the WHO and other health professionals, who actually know what they are doing?

• Agree 3

17 minutes ago, truffy said:

And leave advice on contagion and prevention to the WHO and other health professionals, who actually know what they are doing?

I was going to advise washing any new locos in hot soapy water when they arrive and handle the boxes with a blow torch

More seriously there is a line somewhere we need to find when it comes to what we discuss, there is a thread on diversity just spawning that on past experience will probably end up locked, there is a thread elsewhere discussing the wider implications of pandemics.  We can try but in reality we cannot insulate ourselves from the wider world when it comes to a model railway forum as it does actually impact upon our hobby, the coronavirus is impacting the very people who build our trains with potentially awful consequences, chasing the cheapest product impacts on wages and the livelihoods of those who build and sell model trains and the manufacture of model trains using materials that are bi-products of fossil fuels is going to be questionable in a few short years.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

I was going to advise washing any new locos in hot soapy water when they arrive and handle the boxes with a blow torch

More seriously there is a line somewhere we need to find when it comes to what we discuss, there is a thread on diversity just spawning that on past experience will probably end up locked, there is a thread elsewhere discussing the wider implications of pandemics.  We can try but in reality we cannot insulate ourselves from the wider world when it comes to a model railway forum as it does actually impact upon our hobby, the coronavirus is impacting the very people who build our trains with potentially awful consequences, chasing the cheapest product impacts on wages and the livelihoods of those who build and sell model trains and the manufacture of model trains using materials that are bi-products of fossil fuels is going to be questionable in a few short years.

I don't disagree with pretty much everything you state there, although I'm not sure how/if the events in Hubei province directly impact the health of workers hundreds of kilometres away in Guangdong province, any more than an outbreak in Greece might effect people (including Greeks) living in Belgium. 

But I do draw the line at non-experts giving out health advice.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, truffy said:

I don't disagree with pretty much everything you state there, although I'm not sure how/if the events in Hubei province directly impact the health of workers hundreds of kilometres away in Guangdong province, any more than an outbreak in Greece might effect people (including Greeks) living in Belgium. 

But I do draw the line at non-experts giving out health advice.

Chinese New Year - many people in China don't come from where they work and the biggest concern in China is the fact that this virus as hit right at New Year when everyone disperses.  So whilst they are containing it around a few cities there is a wider risk it will spread further if people have returned home to other provinces,  Then there are the people who will have returned to China from other countries and then go back abroad again and vice versa with non nationals who may have used CNY to return to their own countries whilst China is shutdown for CNY.

• RMweb Gold

Quite, Chinese new years is the largest bulk migration on the planet.

it was said the reason the 1918 flu was so deadly wasnt just down to the strain of the virus, but that sick people needed to be mobile following WW1, instead of at home in bed... and hence spread the virus.

Thats why the timing of the virus and New Years combination is viewed as such a threat, especially when so many travel back home from cities to remote villages, where healthcare and sanitation are much poorer and act as breeding grounds, ready to export it back to cities after the holidays.

I would imagine using money is an excellant way short term way to spread the virus.. sneeze, wipe your nose put the tissue in your pocket, pull out a coin and pay a guy for a newspaper virus only lives on hardsurfaces a few minutes, but how long did that take.... now the newspaper guy has it on his hands, wipes his brow.. And then everytime he sells a newspaper...

Imagine he’s doing that at a train station and its successfully exported around the country..then theres the coffee, baker, ticket seller etc etc....

on the bright side, an extended Chinese newyears, before everyone migrates back to cities will allow for peak of those infected to materialise and be able to see where / how bad its localised effects are.. if there is negligable effect than the virus will probably be left to run its course around the world.

I will add an anecdote, I was in Hong Kong in 2003 during sars... everyone had a mask, everyone was constantly wiping surfaces down and wearing gloves... but everyone still kept pushing/shoving / buzzing around you at any line/queue you had to wait for.. but if you sneezed... everyone scattered!

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I will add an anecdote, I was in Hong Kong in 2003 during sars... everyone had a mask, everyone was constantly wiping surfaces down and wearing gloves... but everyone still kept pushing/shoving / buzzing around you at any line/queue you had to wait for.. but if you sneezed... everyone scattered!

Well, after all this speculation and arm-waving about travel (restrictions) during CNY, we've at least learnt something: to get to the front of a queue in China, all you need is a good sniff of powdered pepper. :jester:

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, truffy said:

Well, after all this speculation and arm-waving about travel (restrictions) during CNY, we've at least learnt something: to get to the front of a queue in China, all you need is a good sniff of powdered pepper. :jester:

Only problem is the person waiting to serve you will have scattered too.

I suffer allergies, and sneeze very loud, I was once in City Super in Kowloon, a big international supermarket and took a wander down the washing powder aisle.. A few sneezes later the aisle was empty, the staff stopped stocking the shelves and a guy appeared from nowhere and pointed a thermometer gun at me.

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 4

Sorry to prolong the off-topic discussion of virus spread in and from China, but...

WHY do various people above in this thread insist on putting an S on the end of New Year? There's only one new year at a time, and they are not talking about something else that belongs to New Year, otherwise a suitable word would follow and the possessive apostrophe would be needed, in the right place. For example, New Year's Eve, New Year's Day. On its own, it is just New Year, no S. 

Please stop mangling the English language, before we reach the point at which nobody can understand anybody else because everybody uses any word they fancy, whether it has the correct meaning or not......

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, gr.king said:

WHY do various people above in this thread insist on putting an S on the end of New Year? There's only one new year at a time, and they are not talking about something else that belongs to New Year, otherwise a suitable word would follow and the possessive apostrophe would be needed, in the right place. For example, New Year's Eve, New Year's Day. On its own, it is just New Year, no S.

See also "Tescos", "Lidls" and "Cliff Richards" :)

At least nobody here talks about "Hornbys" or "Bachmanns". Although I have spotted instances where the possessive apostrophe has surreptitiously taken a break from Hatton's and inserted itself into Rails. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

Equally annoying, even in some of the national newspapers now, is the misuse of "waiting on" when what is meant is waiting FOR.

Waiting FOR = awaiting, i.e. in expectation.

Waiting ON (tables?) = acting as a waiter, serving food, drinks etc. to guests!

Not interchangeable terms!

Rant over for now.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, MarkSG said:

At least nobody here talks about "Hornbys" or "Bachmanns". Although I have spotted instances where the possessive apostrophe has surreptitiously taken a break from Hatton's and inserted itself into Rails. 

You speak for yourself. I'm sure we have discussed them previously in the "other" thread which is now locked....  ;) 

Eastleigh_Works_geograph-2383942-by-Ben-

Wiki Ben Brooksbank

Jason

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Downer said:

Ah, but should there have been a comma between ‘rant over’ and ‘for now’?

Depends what you want it to mean.  'Rant over for now' conveys the meaning that the ranter had always planned the rant to be incomplete and want the listener(s)/reader(s) to be aware of this and that there is definitely a further 'instalment' to come.  The rant is definitely not over. 'Rant over, for now' suggests that the ranter has not planned a further instalment but wishes to convey to the rantee(s) that he/she, the ranter that is, may possibly have further views to rant about on the subject in the future, but is not willing to commit him/herself completely to this concept.  The rant is possibly over, pending further consideration of the matter

Both presentations, with or without comma, are non sequiteurs of course; a rant that is over must by definition be over because that's what the word 'over' in this context means;  'for now' does not make sense and the word 'over' should not have been used in this context, as the rant is definitely or possibly to continue.  The comma simply enables the rantee to distinguish between the definiteness or probability of the ranters intentions and prevents as sort of Shroedinger's Rant situation arising.

Rant um, possibly, over.  For now...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 30/01/2020 at 10:30, MarkSG said:

While working on some Model Rail proofs recently, I inserted an apostrophe into Hatton's. Our Sub-Editor made me remove it and then produced an official e-mail in which we were told that the apostrophe has been dropped from the Hattons name. (CJL)

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2