Hornby 2020 range announcements

AY Mod

On 22/03/2020 at 18:06, TomScrut said:

Does anybody have any idea as to whether R3865 Oliver Cromwell is going to be any different to the one included in R3607?

R3607's loco looks like it has painted hubs on the rear bogie and tender but I'd have thought the standalone loco would be a straight rerun of the pack loco?

The loco looks like it's £180 on pre order but the pack can be had for £220 (maybe less) making the coaches good value if the locos are the same?

R3865 is as when built in 1951 until it received the later crest about 1958. It definitely had the late crest by April 1958.

spacer.png

Photo Ben Brooksbank from Wiki

R3607 is as it was from overhaul in February 1967 until withdrawal and then preservation, Previous to the overhaul they were very neglected, after it was overhauled it became the main "celebrity" locomotive and was kept immaculate for railtours. It was the last mainline BR locomotive to be overhauled and was the main reason it was kept rather than 70000 Britannia which was apparently in very poor condition.

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

R3865 is as when built in 1951 until it received the later crest about 1958. It definitely had the late crest by April 1958.

spacer.png

R3607 is as it was from overhaul in February 1967 until withdrawal and then preservation, Previous to the overhaul they were very neglected, after it was overhauled it became the main "celebrity" locomotive and was kept immaculate for railtours. It was the last mainline BR locomotive to be overhauled and was the main reason it was kept rather than 70000 Britannia which was apparently in very poor condition.

Jason

Cheers that's interesting.

Can't believe I didn't notice the crests being different!

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

spacer.png

Jason

The last to be painted in fully lined out passenger livery by BR as well; the norm by 1966 and possibly earlier was to paint Brits in unlined ‘economy’ green. 

Thought all the 306’s worked suburban services out of London Liverpool Street which would make sense as the picture is at Stratford. At first glance I had assumed it was a WCML portrait from from 1967/8

Edited by d46037
Wrong location

On 27/03/2020 at 15:56, Oldddudders said:

I have several Hornby BY/Van Cs, and they run well enough. No sign of them picking Peco Code 75 or 83 points. Their design means they are just a little more reluctant to roll than the free-running Maunsells, and that suits me. If I have to split sets in the platform (FP Padstow, RP Bude) the attached van will stop the uncoupled set from rolling anywhere. 

Interesting that I have just come across this post after struggling with a Hornby VanC which constantly derails. I have checked the obvious things like b2b but the whole sub assembly which holds the axle came away. It appears to be a push fit but no longer stays in place. Shame because it looks good but certainly does not run well. Any tips more than welcome. Perhaps the way to go is as outlined by John Dunsignaling. 

Edited by barrymx5

• RMweb Gold

I will be doing the Dunsignalling method myself once work on the current Parkside Fruit D has been completed; keep an eye on my layout thread, 'South Wales in the 1950s' if you want to join the adventure...

On 27/03/2020 at 19:06, TomScrut said:

Cheers that's interesting.

Can't believe I didn't notice the crests being different!

Crests on 70013 not the only difference between 'as built' and 'as preserved'. Following an accident on the western region in 1955 the WR allocated Britannias had the handrails removed from their smoke deflectors to be replaced by round recesses with hand holds. 70000 has handrails in preservation, 70013 has the round recess arrangement. I don't know when this was applied to 70013, perhaps others can verify, as It doesn't appear ever to have been allocated to a western region shed.

• Informative/Useful 1

16 minutes ago, Tramshed said:

Crests on 70013 not the only difference between 'as built' and 'as preserved'. Following an accident on the western region in 1955 the WR allocated Britannias had the handrails removed from their smoke deflectors to be replaced by round recesses with hand holds. 70000 has handrails in preservation, 70013 has the round recess arrangement. I don't know when this was applied to 70013, perhaps others can verify, as It doesn't appear ever to have been allocated to a western region shed.

Seemingly before it was transferred to the LM Region from the Eastern Region.

It had the round handholes in 1961. So some point between 1958 and 1961. 

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/70013-oliver-cromwell/

Yes, the smoke deflectors are something to watch out for, as are the types of tender they had. Which makes changing identity a bit more difficult. Plenty of Heffalump traps for the unwary.

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Tramshed said:

There were 3 variations of handrails/holds on Britannias.  The original handrail is as preserved on 70000.  The 1955 accident on the WR was at Milton, near Didcot, to 70026 Polar Star, which was working the return of a Sunday excursion from Treherbert to Paddington and had been routed to the down relief loop while an engineering occupation had blocked the main.  The driver passed the loop exit signal at danger believing he was on the down main and the train ran through the trap points, the loco toppling down the embankment and coaches piling up on top of it.  The Old Oak driver stated at the Board of Trade inquiry that his view of the signals had been blocked by the handrail, and this was highlighted in the report.

The WR decided to remove the handrails on it's Britannias and replace them with handhold holes; on the WR these took the form of rectangular cutouts in the smoke deflectors with brass edging to them, often polished on Canton Britannias which were kept spotless.  The LMR also decided to remove handrails and fitted the round recesses; these were similar to those used on LMS designed locos with smoke deflectors.  All the WR locos were dealt with, but not all the LMR allocated ones and the ER locos that were transferred to the LMR in 1960 were never all equipped with the recesses either; some Brits were withdrawn with the original handrails still in place. 

For modelling purposes it is best as always to work from dated photographs of a known reliable provenance, but any ex WR Britannia transferred to the LMR would have had the WR type hand holds with brass beading.  WR Britannias were all allocated to Canton by 1957 and transferred to the LMR in 1961 when they were replaced by Kings at Canton; Kings were able to run to Cardiff and over the North to West route from this date, including the Maindee East Curve in Newport.

There were 55 Britannias, 10 Clans, and 250 9Fs (less the 10 Crostis), yet only the Brits seem to have given any issue with signal sighting because of handrails.  The accumulated mileage of the 9Fs must have been 4 or 5 times that of the Brits, yet I am unaware of any such problem.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

They might do, I suppose, in order to maintain their profile and counter the market effect of the Bachmann announcements every 3 months.  But I'm not holding my breath, and it may equally be the case that they regard 'Engine Shed' as the vehicle for this.

• Agree 2

On 23/04/2020 at 00:41, adb968008 said:

If they announced when the Blue Merchant Navy was coming, that would suffice for me

According to Hornby still scheduled for June release. All the other variants seem to put back to August, September and November which is hardly surprising considering global events.

I think I placed my order with derails for EAC in January 2018 !

• Friendly/supportive 2

On 21/04/2020 at 20:58, Pete the Elaner said:

I think their January announcements were quite ambitious this year, so even without the Corona virus I think a mid-year announcement would have been unlikely.

Now the Corona virus has slowed things up everywhere, I think it is even less likely.

Hornby's mid-year announcements are always models that have been planned for that same year itself but have been held back because of a lack of a production slot. So mid-year announcements have always been models that have been destined for that year and they've finally gotten a production slot and so on.

So it's quite possible that we'll see a mid-year announcement. Factories in China are back up and running, almost at full capacity. So if the outbreak of covid-19 has made some manufacturers delay products, we'll be seeing many slots open up. Or simply a slot opening up because another model has been delayed. Hornby will take advantage and use it to produce something.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 23/04/2020 at 00:41, adb968008 said:

If they announced when the Blue Merchant Navy was coming, that would suffice for me.

On 24/04/2020 at 09:28, Black 5 Bear said:

According to Hornby still scheduled for June release. All the other variants seem to put back to August, September and November which is hardly surprising considering global events.

I think I placed my order with derails for EAC in January 2018 !

Now updated to 'Autumn' on Hornby.com. Around the start of this year it had come all the way back to Spring (I think I posted a delivery guesstimate of May somewhere further up this thread).

Obviously more important things going on right now but this has to be a contender for the highest number of scheduling changes I've ever seen for a model! Still, wanting to pair it with Bachmann's crimson & cream Bulleids, I'd say there's not much of a rush anyway...

Adam

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, scots region said:

You could always just say it was experimental.... blood and custard would look nice behind it. 

Hi,

Records suggest that blood and custard DID look nice behind it:

With ex-LMS stock here: https://railphotoprints.uk/p717500529/e21dcc841

And what must have been brand-new mark ones here: https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p483725128/e4484c21

The latter source suggesting that 46201 stayed in lined black until the end of 1951 but with the 6201 society themselves suggesting that it stayed in black until April the following year (which I suppose might have been the end of the heavy general overhaul).

Henry

Edited by Henry 84F