Hornby 2020 range announcements

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold

If I'm reading this correctly, you are saying that the video promoting the SNG train pack shows a full price loco but the box contains a Railroad version.  That would mean that the video is clearly misrepresenting what is on offer, and the company should deal with this asap; misrepresentation in advertising is a serious matter and H aren't so far out of the woods yet that they can easily withstand a hefty fine and the bad publicity.  Don't believe what they tell you, there is such a thing as bad publicity...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Looking at it, it's the version between the Railroad and full fat version going by the photo on the website. They've released a couple of others previously. Mallard was one.

It's not the basic version as it has things like sprung buffers, cab glazing, etc.

But doesn't have the finely detailed valve gear and lamp brackets.

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/lner-sir-nigel-gresley-train-set-centenary-year-limited-edition-1938.html

Compare it to this version.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/60218/hornby_r3201_class_a4_4_6_2_60007_sir_nigel_gresley_in_br_blue_with_early_emblem_the_great_g/stockdetail.aspx

Price is about right. You aren't getting a Super Detailed version, two main range coaches and the rest of the train set for £250 when the loco itself is worth £180 and the coaches £60 each.

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1

I think he's referring to this video of the Hornby R1252M "Sir Nigel Gresley" Train Set?

The box art and images on the website have shown the Hornby Railroad A4, as Jason as mentioned, it's the version that sits between the Railroad spec and main range spec. Except the missing lamp brackets and finer motion gear, it looks really good.

I don't see it as an issue at all.

So I am presuming the starting point is the full fat one with just less parts/labour put into it rather than a RR model with some more things stuck on?

I aren't up on the differences between RR and main range version but for example I presume this has all wheel pickups and decoder in the tender? Whereas the RR one probably doesn't.

• Administrators
16 hours ago, Ribird said:

I saw a video on the new Sir Nigel Gresley train pack with a garter blue SNG, R1252M, packaging is very deceiving. The video shows a main range A4 that comes with it. Compared to the box, has a Railroad A4. I understand having the packaging like it is. Just an FYI for everyone.

8 hours ago, The Johnster said:

If I'm reading this correctly, you are saying that the video promoting the SNG train pack shows a full price loco but the box contains a Railroad version.  That would mean that the video is clearly misrepresenting what is on offer, and the company should deal with this asap; misrepresentation in advertising is a serious matter and H aren't so far out of the woods yet that they can easily withstand a hefty fine and the bad publicity.  Don't believe what they tell you, there is such a thing as bad publicity...

So there is an unidentified video, possibly the one that @MGR Hooper! has found, that might show something, and despite this lack of facts and information, you are accusing Hornby of false advertising? Keep that up and prepare to find yourself in court for deformation and libel. The one facing a hefty fine would be you in this instance, and possibly RMweb. I suggest some facts are gathered before accusing anyone of "misrepresentation in advertising".

It would help is @Ribird would post a link to the video he watched as a start.

• Agree 6

Guest Half-full
7 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

I think he's referring to this video of the Hornby R1252M "Sir Nigel Gresley" Train Set?

The box art and images on the website have shown the Hornby Railroad A4, as Jason as mentioned, it's the version that sits between the Railroad spec and main range spec. Except the missing lamp brackets and finer motion gear, it looks really good.

Christ

I thought the guy was going to break out the Kleenex.  Had to stop watching as I was frankly embarrassed

• RMweb Premium

Completely confused as to whether it’s a main range A4 or not . It certainly looks pretty good with cab doors . I love the box . The artwork is superb  and I can get there would be a pleasure in owning something like that .  I bought the Centenary edition rocket and it’s also a nice thing to own . But it’s now on display  with no real use on the railway so at the end of the day it’s a kind of expensive ornament!  

47 minutes ago, Legend said:

But it’s now on display  with no real use on the railway so at the end of the day it’s a kind of expensive ornament!  

I thought about buying a main range Rocket as there are some still available, and I thought to myself I won't use it so I won't bother. Plenty of other £170 items I would use more.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

6 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

So there is an unidentified video, possibly the one that @MGR Hooper! has found, that might show something, and despite this lack of facts and information, you are accusing Hornby of false advertising?

No. The important word in @The Johnster’s post was the first one, “if” he accepted @Ribird’s post at face value. 

I reckon he’s given himself enough wiggle room to avoid anyone chasing ambulances down they mean streets of inner city Cardiff. 

Edited by truffy
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

So there is an unidentified video, possibly the one that @MGR Hooper! has found, that might show something, and despite this lack of facts and information, you are accusing Hornby of false advertising? Keep that up and prepare to find yourself in court for deformation and libel. The one facing a hefty fine would be you in this instance, and possibly RMweb. I suggest some facts are gathered before accusing anyone of "misrepresentation in advertising".

It would help is @Ribird would post a link to the video he watched as a start.

You've done this before, Phil; please read what I actually wrote properly, and note my use of the word 'if' and it's association with the phrase 'that would mean'.  At no point have I stated that Hornby have misrepresented anything, merely suggested that they might inadvertently have done so conditional on the matter that I have correctly regarded as not proven to be a fact, as shown by my use of the word 'if'.  I have not, and have no intention of, accusing Hornby of anything unless they've done something to be accused of, which is not yet clear in this instance and which I very much doubt is actually the case; if it is, I'm sure Hornby will redress matters rapidly to avoid defamation or libel.  

I'd be wary of threatening anyone with defamation and libel (to be fair, you actually threatened me with deformation, sounds painful, which leads me to take even less seriously anything you write in the English language, though it is probably not your fault that you are not properly educated in it's use; you only have the intellect you were born with and perhaps did not have the opportunity to better yourself) on a public forum.  As you are an administrator, it is right that you should be concerned about possible defamation or libel action against RMweb, but as an administrator you should also be at least moderately conversant with how that area of civil law works; it needs to be a defamatory or libellous statement of alleged fact, whereas I merely pontificated regarding a possible situation if the suggested situation that Hornby had shown a box cover with a photo of an A4 that was not the one inside the box, furthermore accepting that I might not have read the information already posted to a full understanding.  I never stated anything to be actual fact in my post.

I will not respond to further posts from you.  

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

12 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Yes this is the video I saw. Sure looks like a main range A4 with lamp irons and everything. That’s all I’m saying.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, truffy said:

No. The important word in @The Johnster’s post was the first one, “if” he accepted @Ribird’s post at face value. 

I reckon he’s given himself enough wiggle room to avoid anyone chasing ambulances down they mean streets of inner city Cardiff. 

Thanks, Truffster.  As you can see I have defended myself robustly and I think fairly; me and Mr Parker have had previous altercations; he's probably trying to bait me and I've allowed him a smidge of satisfaction but I'm not taking it further.

But I am reminded of one of the little bit of Classical ejumacayshun wot I had, the story of the Athenians threatening the Spartans with 'If we attack you, we are going to'... all sorts of unpleasant things in a list, a sort of written Maori Hakka.  The Spartans, from the region of Laconia and hence good at this sort of thing, respond with the single word, 'If'.  Effective, and makes me smile now, 2 and a half thousand years later!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

Puts me in mind of the famous playwright (whose name I’ve forgotten) who sent Winston Churchill two tickets for the opening night of his new play, so that he could bring a friend “if you have one”.

Churchill replied that he had a prior engagement so returned the tickets, but asked instead for two to the second night “if there is one”.

• Like 3
  • Funny 10

19 minutes ago, Ribird said:

Yes this is the video I saw. Sure looks like a main range A4 with lamp irons and everything. That’s all I’m saying.

Yep. That's the full fat version.

Some people have got bargains if that's what turns up. Wrong colour for me. All my Eastern stuff is BR era.

Just scan looking at that video was severe torture though. 10 minutes before anything is even out of the box and then it's being manhandled and then it's being played with on the carpet. I know some people like them, but....

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Hmm, slightly off the mark, if I may suggest. Firstly, is the video endorsed by Hornby, or released under a Hornby banner? The gent in question (Aiden) appears to be well satisfied, Railroad or otherwise. If (and I emphasise if) the front box cover said "This is the Dogs Doolies" and it failed to deliver, then the client might have a case of dissatisfaction.  From his own video, he seems pretty pleased, so from that aspect, there's nothing to worry about.

However.....

If (and once again, if) Aiden is connected to Hornby by way of trade, then Hornby would leave themselves open. Quite frankly, I doubt very much if Hornby are that lax. 

I'm somewhat surprised that posters are levelling cross words at each other, especially over toys. Matthew 7:1 seems to cover it nicely. 

To cover my own backside, I retain the right to edit, amend or comment upon my own post, as I see fit.  I am fully confident that I will not perjure myself.

Cheers,

Ian.

I'm off to have another look at the Hornby Large prairies, if that's OK with all of you!

• Administrators
4 hours ago, The Johnster said:

You've done this before, Phil; please read what I actually wrote properly, and note my use of the word 'if' and it's association with the phrase 'that would mean'.  At no point have I stated that Hornby have misrepresented anything, merely suggested that they might inadvertently have done so conditional on the matter that I have correctly regarded as not proven to be a fact, as shown by my use of the word 'if'.  I have not, and have no intention of, accusing Hornby of anything unless they've done something to be accused of, which is not yet clear in this instance and which I very much doubt is actually the case; if it is, I'm sure Hornby will redress matters rapidly to avoid defamation or libel.  

I'd be wary of threatening anyone with defamation and libel (to be fair, you actually threatened me with deformation, sounds painful, which leads me to take even less seriously anything you write in the English language, though it is probably not your fault that you are not properly educated in it's use; you only have the intellect you were born with and perhaps did not have the opportunity to better yourself) on a public forum.  As you are an administrator, it is right that you should be concerned about possible defamation or libel action against RMweb, but as an administrator you should also be at least moderately conversant with how that area of civil law works; it needs to be a defamatory or libellous statement of alleged fact, whereas I merely pontificated regarding a possible situation if the suggested situation that Hornby had shown a box cover with a photo of an A4 that was not the one inside the box, furthermore accepting that I might not have read the information already posted to a full understanding.  I never stated anything to be actual fact in my post.

I will not respond to further posts from you.  

4 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Thanks, Truffster.  As you can see I have defended myself robustly and I think fairly; me and Mr Parker have had previous altercations; he's probably trying to bait me and I've allowed him a smidge of satisfaction but I'm not taking it further.

You are correct, we have been here before - because you take delight in stirring things up. Your point about "if" is splitting hairs, the accusations you were throwing around were clear to everyone, as you intended them to be. There was no need for your original post, you didn't know the video referred to, but chose to comment anyway, then compound things by hurling a load of insults my way.

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Ribird said:

I agree that video looks like the main range A4 to me...

Super detailed A4: 3link couplings,  Sprung Buffers, Lamp Irons, Cab seats / doors, drivers windshields, painted footplate, refined whistle, more scaled coupling rods, front pony truck is detailed, coal load isnt piled high.

Railroad A4 has thicker coupling rods, thicker whistle, moulded Cab handrails on the loco body, thick moulded access points on the sides. Coal load is piled high (to hide the old ringfield motor) and is missing the cab door, lamp irons, windshields, and the glazing of late.

I don't see anything “railroad” about the locos or the coaches Except, looking at the box artwork (and some of the earlier images of the set, where the loco Image does look like the upgraded railroad model).

Am I missing something ?

ifs got a super detailed A4 in then set looks pretty good, and price point looks right for Super detailed, whats more it comes with Track, Controller.

Ive got to admit seeing the video If it has been delivered as super detailed, then I am more attracted to this than I was when I saw Railroad artwork originally.

A good comparison would be R2688, a previous release of 4498 Sir Nigel Gresley.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

There seems to be a lot of "ifs" and guesswork here.

Has nobody thiught to simply ask Hornby?

I get people love to theorise and conspirise (yes, I know it's not a word but sounded cool!) - but seriously... nobody? Did nobody call Hornby and simply ask? :o :lol: :unsure:

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

There seems to be a lot of "ifs" and guesswork here.

Has nobody thiught to simply ask Hornby?

I get people love to theorise and conspirise (yes, I know it's not a word but sounded cool!) - but seriously... nobody? Did nobody call Hornby and simply ask? :o :lol: :unsure:

I'm fine thanks.

I can tell what it is and that'll do for me. 

I also doubt anyone at Hornby was available at midnight on a Friday which is when I saw the thread. I also think they've probably go better things to do.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

It's a bit sad that the box art doesn't show the brilliant A4 model inside, but it is after all just box art.

I wonder if SNG has ever been sold separately in this guise?  Must look up my Ramsays! :)

edit; ah!  R2688 70th Anniversary...    from 2008, quite apart from re-name renumber.

Old Hattons pic

4498_A4_LNER_R2688_1.jpg.edf29b972c9db0f63ddfead67739a6aa.jpg

Possibly not very commonly available, but how many LNER blue A4s does one need?  At a glimpse it's the same as the one in the new train set, single chimney.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I also doubt anyone at Hornby was available at midnight on a Friday which is when I saw the thread. 

Jason

You slacker! Only joking Jason, only joking.

It does indeed look like a nice model. Not for me, only because LNER pacifics just don't 'do' it for me. 

• Like 1