Hornby 2020 range announcements

AY Mod

Well got my own little bit of centenary memorabilia today - when I saw that this was one of the special models this year I decided I needed to get one a) as memorabilia  b) it is a loco which will get use. Fortunately a small new model shop nearby had one in stock when I phoned them - I've wanted to support them since they opened, but they've not had much which had piqued my interest.  Overall in my opinion a nice piece from Hornby, recognising what I feel is a significant loco in their history (even if not quite a scale model)

IMG_20200630_170008248.jpg

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

My late father bought the original set for me in Selfridges in October 1950.Don’t think he paid £224 for it though......

Why has this thread generated so much heat ?  

I have on of these, slightly used, which you may purchase for several grand...  :)

A4_hornby_s-l1600.jpg.7f01987a7fd44bef13d30de5b1b64d0b.jpg

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, Sarahagain said:

That set looks to be missing the card over the controller...

WHEN THE RED BUTTON RISES...

;)

Ah but can the 2020 100-year anniversary offering match the realism of the 1949 offering?  

Hornby_A4_LNER_Img_3243abcdefg1_r1800.jpg.ff2a1148d7cd1705802ba99029e65ecc.jpg

Picture edited, will remove if requested.

I had a burst of Hornby Dublo 3-rail memorabilia about a year ago, and bought a mint Atholl trainset with all the bits and pieces, but mostly I bought slightly used stuff as it was about half the price or less, you can hardly give away some Montrose and Std 4MT engines.

I think I have a near mint A4 SNG LNER No.7  but mostly it's the satisying rattle of the train on the carpet which appeals. 

Thus I fully appreciate the review in the video about 30 messages back.  The new model of 4498  is truly nice!

Here is an SNG 'set' I bought... It has a composite as well as a full 3rd, although I'm not quite sure of the rarity of that.

HORNBY_a4_s-l1600a.jpg.9719fea763793c2383bda419545c718f.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Sarahagain said:

Was this an export production, for sale in the Antipodes?

;)

It appears that maybe it's the result of the centenary after party :lol_mini: - this was before I opened the box and I've seen a review of this, where the reviewers one was also upside down

• Like 1

Although it transgresses my promise to not put edited photos in any threads other than those started by me, I beg the indulgence of Andy and others to allow this picture of the model of Sir Nigel as from the centenary trainset,  Box art of sorts.

Of course if it annoys, I will remove it.  

Lovely model, great locomotive.

4498_A4_shed_Image10_4abcd_r1800.jpg.7473cab9fba4b6b0d29ec3778493bb78.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I get the impression that Hornby were so keen to create a nostalgic image invoking their (somewhat tenuous) claims to Binns Road heritage that they probably just handed the photographer the first blue A4 they came to.:jester:

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Lantavian said:

I far prefer the original blue as Hornby's corporate colour to today's Triang-heritage red.

But the original blue boxes only applied to three-rail models.

Once 2-rail arrived, HD also used red packaging for anything that could run on it. Thus, only locos and things like the mail coach set, (which included dedicated track sections) continued in blue boxes once they changed over to plastic wheels for all coaches and wagons.

One thing I am a little hazy about, and on which I'd be grateful for clarification, is whether or not they ceased to offer 3-rail train sets after 2-rail was introduced and, if so, how soon?

John

As far as I know, 3-Rail continued alongside 2-Rail for sets and everything else until 196 something.

Not long before the buy out by Lines Bros in 1964.

It was just one factor in the failure of Meccano Ltd.

Hornby Dublo boxes started out a light blue colour, plain, no stripes.

Later the colour deepened to a plain dark blue.

2 Rail items, but not wagons at first, was originally packed in plain red coloured boxes.

Blue and white striped boxes were in use by 1958, and were used at first for the 'SD6' wagons, which carried wording explaining that the wagons had plastic wheels and were suitable for 3- or 2-Rail running.

Other tinplate wagons,  and coaches,  factory fitted with the plastic wheel sets had a small label attached to state that the contents were suitable for 3- or 2-Rail running.

About 1959-1960, red and white striped boxes were adopted for 2-rail items.

All from my dodgy memory! ;)

Edited by Sarahagain
more added
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Loving the Art Work on the Hornby Dublo Train set, Also the A4 does seem to be the full proper one. (Funny enough, all the A4s i have are limited editions, Being Bittern, Mallard - Gold plated one and this one)

Also is number 257 to.

IMG_5852.jpg

IMG_5854.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks Chris89, it is a lovely set and so redolent of the enjoyment of Hornby trains throughout the years, I think the price is very good too just for the super-detail A4, and two carriages, with the track making it a 'complete package' , just like the 1949 3-rail set.

As a child in the late-50s early 60s we had a 3-rail layout, assembled and removed from the 'front room' floor at regular intervals, and ran a Duchess of Montrose, Bristol Castle and an N2 , the Bristol Castle being Dad's favourite engine.  We learned how to time trains around a circuit and make accurate estimations of speed in our heads, with 1:76 and H-D straights being about 11 1/4"  curves a little longer, and 60mph being 88 ft/sec...  no wonder we did well at school! I was allowed to go to the art room and paint pictures of ships in storms while other kids did maths.  Later that year there was a tricky moment when another teacher contacted my parents to say that I was presenting my art as my own when clearly it was by someone older and more skilled, and needed to be told off.... the things you learn at school! 

Lying on the floor with a Duchess or Castle coming through the Hornby station at a scale 60mph was fun indeed, but we never had a A4.  

A deprived childhood, clearly.  :)   I might just buy a set just for the joy it evokes.

Edited by robmcg
clarification
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, Sarahagain said:

As far as I know, 3-Rail continued alongside 2-Rail for sets and everything else until 196 something.

Not long before the buy out by Lines Bros in 1964.

It was just one factor in the failure of Meccano Ltd.

Hornby Dublo boxes started out a light blue colour, plain, no stripes.

Later the colour deepened to a plain dark blue.

2 Rail items, but not wagons at first, was originally packed in plain red coloured boxes.

Blue and white striped boxes were in use by 1958, and were used at first for the 'SD6' wagons, which carried wording explaining that the wagons had plastic wheels and were suitable for 3- or 2-Rail running.

Other tinplate wagons,  and coaches,  factory fitted with the plastic wheel sets had a small label attached to state that the contents were suitable for 3- or 2-Rail running.

About 1959-1960, red and white striped boxes were adopted for 2-rail items.

All from my dodgy memory! ;)

3 rail was never actually stopped by Meccano but very little was made into the 1960s, supplies being maintained from the overhang of excess stock. That is why genuine late production 3 rail items such as St Paddy and City of Liverpool are so collectable. The E3002 was supposed to have been issued as a 3 rail model but didn't actually come out until after the takeover by which there was no chance of this happening. 

• Informative/Useful 1

11 minutes ago, robmcg said:

Thanks Chris89, it is a lovely set and so redolent of the enjoyment of Hornby trains throughout the years, I think the price is very good too just for the super-detail A4, and two carriages, with the track making it a 'complete package' , just like the 1949 3-rail set.

As a child in the late-50s early 60s we had a 3-rail layout, assembled and removed from the 'front room' floor at regular intervals, and ran a Duchess of Montrose, Bristol Castle and an N2 , the Bristol Castle being Dad's favourite engine.  We learned how to time trains around a circuit and make accurate estimations of speed in our heads, with 1:76 and H-D straights being about 11 1/4"  curves a little longer, and 60mph being 88 ft/sec...  no wonder we did well at school! I was allowed to go to the art room and paint pictures of ships in storms while other kids did maths.  Later that year there was a tricky moment when another teacher contacted my parents to say that I was presenting my art as my own when clearly it was by someone older and more skilled, and needed to be told off.... the things you learn at school! 

Lying on the floor with a Duchess or Castle coming through the Hornby station at a scale 60mph was fun indeed, but we never had a A4.  

A deprived childhood, clearly.  :)   I might just buy a set just for the joy it evokes.

Most welcome, honestly it's a great price for the stock included. I will remain hopeful at somepoint will get the Late 80s/ 90s sets re-released in this style, as be a instant order for me. Especially if was to say the 225 one, from back in 1995.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

3 rail was never actually stopped by Meccano but very little was made into the 1960s, supplies being maintained from the overhang of excess stock. That is why genuine late production 3 rail items such as St Paddy and City of Liverpool are so collectable. The E3002 was supposed to have been issued as a 3 rail model but didn't actually come out until after the takeover by which there was no chance of this happening. 

I confess those late 3-rail models have a distinct cache of rarity and desirability, but I tell myself that the models were best when they were on metal wheels.  The late-50s models might be common but at least they are generally cheaper.  :)

But back to the current A4 set, I think the choice of 'Sir Nigel' is extremely good, the model looks superb, and I wonder if many buyers will treat the set the way the old 1949-64 sets were? 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, robmcg said:

I confess those late 3-rail models have a distinct cache of rarity and desirability, but I tell myself that the models were best when they were on metal wheels.  The late-50s models might be common but at least they are generally cheaper.  :)

But back to the current A4 set, I think the choice of 'Sir Nigel' is extremely good, the model looks superb, and I wonder if many buyers will treat the set the way the old 1949-64 sets were? 

They won't last five minutes if they do....

John

• Agree 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned here before but it came to me the other day that Hornby has really missed a trick in not producing a newly-tooled super detailed Caledonian Pug. Like the Rocket, the pugs have been a staple of the range for many years and many people can identify with them, not to mention there are a whole host of liveries and variants spanning from the 1880s to the 1960s - most modellers would be quite pleased! They could of course also produce the famous 'tenders' to go with the models. Here are some images of Caledonia Railworks's digital pugs for the Train Simulator video game; they give a great sense of what the models could/would look like. Also, who knew the Caledonian had a lined black livery? I certainly didn't! :wacko: Anyhoo:

717968512_20180904180326_1-Copy.jpg.acff6a9a0aad87743137e579e07946f4.jpg

812107705_20180904180854_1-Copy.jpg.63a30501a261a760252f8099369c462e.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg.dbce0d221dd42c542128fb62fb162fa3.jpg

Unknown-1.jpeg.d13279ba98d36f94b8be4f8434c4383c.jpeg

You can see what the pug tenders might look like in the two pictures above:

871127264_20180904180244_1(1).jpg.2c14609f82ed6725b1886013a8b0332b.jpg

I can understand why it was not done seeing just how much they have already bitten off and I certainly can't complain as it is a fabulous range but I think it would have been a great model to tie into the centenary theme and ethos. Anyway, never say never, I didn't think I'd ever see a super detailed Rocket! Do you agree or disagree? Let me know, I'd love to hear your two cents on it!

Cheers,

Otis

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

For years Caledonian modellers have been starved of locos because of the presence of the 0-4-0 pug and 123 4-2-2 . Which I’m sure Simon Kohler believes is the Caledonian modelled . While the pug would be a desirable wee model I’d much rather have a Dunalastair 4-4-0 or a later version that made it into BR Black ( that seems to be a factor) . Imagine a nice 4-4-0 in Caley Blue, LMS red, LMS black and early BR black . Will go well with the Rails /Bachmann 812 class 0-6-0  when it finally appears . 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Legend said:

For years Caledonian modellers have been starved of locos because of the presence of the 0-4-0 pug and 123 4-2-2 . 

Doing rather better (for a certain value of better) than most pre-Grouping companies north of the Thames.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, tomparryharry said:

Well, there was a railway company that ran down as far as Hereford, but we don't talk about 'them'.....

Rather further south than that. Almost to Risca, a few miles away from you in Newport.