Hornby 2020 range announcements

AY Mod

On 31/08/2020 at 14:37, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

I'm thinking this as well- if a big container full of them are floating towards us and a large % were headed for a shop I cannot mention due to over-moderation then all the suppliers "out of stock" may find more stock available!! Cannot find them on Derails website, may e-mail them tomorrow when they open. Hornby want £35 a lump.

Dan @ Derails came back efficiently, they sold out on pre-order ergo none left. So far Kernow, Hattons, Derails have none available so I'm open to other suggestions- the Rails stock must be somewhere?!

38 minutes ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

Dan @ Derails came back efficiently, they sold out on pre-order ergo none left. So far Kernow, Hattons, Derails have none available so I'm open to other suggestions- the Rails stock must be somewhere?!

Try timetunnelmodels.com, another good outlet which sometimes has hard to source or otherwise Sold out elsewhere stock.

On 31/08/2020 at 13:44, TomScrut said:

Is it worth ringing them up?

Surely if Rails' orders have been wiped it will mean there is likely to be more for other dealers to order?

Edited by Black 5 Bear

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Jenny Emily said:

As the Atholl thread was locked, here is a video of the lowest certificate number Atholl:

I’m really impressed with this model. My only gripe really is that they underestimated how many to make. Hopefully we might see a rerun as a set with two LMS coaches and an oval of track in the style of the original HD sets. 

I actually hope Hornby decides to reintroduce the Hornby Dublo brand.

if they chose just 1 model a year, in limited quantities of a few liveries and turned them out as Metal bodies in a Hornby Dublo box, I think they would create a very exclusive premium brand.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

I actually hope Hornby decides to reintroduce the Hornby Dublo brand.

if they chose just 1 model a year, in limited quantities of a few liveries and turned them out as Metal bodies in a Hornby Dublo box, I think they would create a very exclusive premium brand.

The paint finish metal body does look great, probably the most realistic finish tbh. I always think factory finishes look too matt but then once gloss varnish goes on it looks too glossy!

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I think they would create a very exclusive premium brand.

Didn't they have a premium brand, of sorts? Bassett-Lowke, I think it was called. :unknw_mini:

Whatever happened to that? :banghead:

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

On 23/08/2020 at 17:52, RyanN91 said:

Thanks for that! Finally they have used the correct tooling! In 2014 they ballsed up the IC Executive livery BR MK3 buffet carriage. They used the same tooling for the standard open coach and 1st class coach and the same for the BR MK3 INTERCITY swallow BR MK3 buffet cars in 2018.

Why can't Hornby be bothered to check stuff?!

Biggest and most obvious- the interior on the standard class coach I've just received has 2+1 First Class seated interior (in dark blue). So FORTY years after Lima did this as an expediency to save two different interior mouldings on the TS and TF (or TSO and FO for loco hauled types) Hornby cannot be bothered to put the right interior and this is not something that can be fixed at this end.

Next the central door locking releases, they are moulded correctly for a HST TS or TF but they have randomly decided that these are loco hauled despite having 4xxxx numbers and put a decal representing the handle and surround on the wrong end on one side. Obviously the buffet is totally wrong, they always are which is why I'm not buying it, but they have correctly not coloured the CDL light at the buffet counter end whilst still depicting the release handle and showing the door handle which shouldn't be on that door.

And I wish they would tell me what their obsession is with the half white rubbing plate and bright white doors on the coach ends- the rubbing plates may have looked like that for 15 minutes when the coaches were brand new before coupled to another vehicle but not c18 years in by the time CDL was fitted! The doors were never white either....

2 hours ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

Biggest and most obvious- the interior on the standard class coach I've just received has 2+1 First Class seated interior (in dark blue). So FORTY years after Lima did this as an expediency to save two different interior mouldings on the TS and TF (or TSO and FO for loco hauled types) Hornby cannot be bothered to put the right interior and this is not something that can be fixed at this end.

Next the central door locking releases, they are moulded correctly for a HST TS or TF but they have randomly decided that these are loco hauled despite having 4xxxx numbers and put a decal representing the handle and surround on the wrong end on one side. Obviously the buffet is totally wrong, they always are which is why I'm not buying it, but they have correctly not coloured the CDL light at the buffet counter end whilst still depicting the release handle and showing the door handle which shouldn't be on that door.

And I wish they would tell me what their obsession is with the half white rubbing plate and bright white doors on the coach ends- the rubbing plates may have looked like that for 15 minutes when the coaches were brand new before coupled to another vehicle but not c18 years in by the time CDL was fitted! The doors were never white either....

yet again the diesel and electric modeller gets fobbed off with tosh. They never seem to do these things for anything that gets hauled by a kettle

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, GordonC said:

yet again the diesel and electric modeller gets fobbed off with tosh. They never seem to do these things for anything that gets hauled by a kettle

I presume you refer to steam locomotives.In which case...oh yes indeed they do. A lurid zebra striped issue of LNER Gresley teak suburban stock a few years will attest to that. Why must members still use that term kettle ?

Tedious.

• Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

5 hours ago, GordonC said:

yet again the diesel and electric modeller gets fobbed off with tosh. They never seem to do these things for anything that gets hauled by a steam loco

It's just so disappointing. I can hopefully get away with it by increasing the tint level on the windows to hide the useless interior, anyone with digital fetish internal lighting is totally screwed- I cannot see any way of fixing the inside short of scratch building a whole new set of seats and tables and then repeating x4. The CDL issues can be fixed in a day on the workbench, as can the step boards and the coach ends but the interior is a real show stopper. It's not just one coach, I resourced one from Faversham (thanks to tip off!) and the other three from John Dutfield in Chelmsford which I trekked across to in person today.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

It's just so disappointing. 

In what way? If this is an HST vehicle, end details are invisible when formed into a set - and when wouldn't it be? So rubbing plate and end-door colours are invisible. As for the interior, when the train is running on the layout how much detail can you see? Have you filled the - wrong - seats with passengers? And if you aren't running it - why did you buy it? 

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

I presume you refer to steam locomotives.In which case...oh yes indeed they do. A lurid zebra striped issue of LNER Gresley teak suburban stock a few years will attest to that. Why must members still use that term kettle ?

Tedious.

Well, Cos it boils water and whistles when it reaches boiling ?

• Agree 3

17 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

In what way? If this is an HST vehicle, end details are invisible when formed into a set - and when wouldn't it be? So rubbing plate and end-door colours are invisible. As for the interior, when the train is running on the layout how much detail can you see? Have you filled the - wrong - seats with passengers? And if you aren't running it - why did you buy it? 

Mostly because I make the effort to get my carriages right outside AND inside, before entering service all my rakes have the interiors repainted so that when you look through the windows they are as good as they can be, seats all the right colour, bulkheads, walls, floors and tables all accurate. Having a first class layout on a standard class coach means I cannot do that, and whenever the thing is running I will know and that will be bad enough for me! None of mine are intended to live in their boxes, and I don't have anything in untouched condition as it comes.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

I’ve never thought the term kettle as pejorative, rather a harmless nickname for well loved friends. 

Like a lot of things it's how you use a term.

Some do use it as a term of abuse towards others. I remember the days of diesel railtours. Some of the "people" attending them were not far off being like football hooligans looking for a fight. And I did hear quite a few disgusting comments aimed towards steam enthusiasts.

Just look at the Hornby Facebook page when there is an announcement. I've even seen posts saying things like "They'll all be dead soon". The announcement when they had the video a few weeks ago even had the comments section turned off halfway through due to vile comments.

Harmless? Not always....

Jason

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Why must members still use that term kettle ?

Thursday, will be the first time ive seen a mainline steam railtour in London this year, its been so long I needed to rehearse....

E8D70707-21BB-4B12-979C-69465FB613BB.jpeg.29e1cbb4cc372745fb91eb0548b18c6f.jpeg

its a kettle with a box on the back..of course

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

16 hours ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

Did you try asking them?

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

8 hours ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

It's just so disappointing. I can hopefully get away with it by increasing the tint level on the windows to hide the useless interior, anyone with digital fetish internal lighting is totally screwed- I cannot see any way of fixing the inside short of scratch building a whole new set of seats and tables and then repeating x4. The CDL issues can be fixed in a day on the workbench, as can the step boards and the coach ends but the interior is a real show stopper. It's not just one coach, I resourced one from Faversham (thanks to tip off!) and the other three from John Dutfield in Chelmsford which I trekked across to in person today.

There's been an increase in the number of people who have begun using 3D printed interiors to make accurate interior layouts, I've done a Mk1 coach interior for a MK1 Sleeper, I've seen others do Mk4 coaches and so on.

Unless a coach was designed and released from the ground up in this day and age, a minor issue like a coach interior is not going to affect most people. I really don't expect Hornby to shove out a few thousand pounds to design a brand new interior because one person has an issue with it. Is it even worth it? There's a lot of 3D designers on rmweb, most of which will be happy to help you so that your world won't stop spinning.

FWIW, external details are more of a show stopper than an interior that's just about visible when trains run through. BTW, most of the people who are up there with that level of detail like DCC interior lighting and so on, are more than capable of making an interior.

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Thursday, will be the first time ive seen a mainline steam railtour in London this year, its been so long I needed to rehearse....

E8D70707-21BB-4B12-979C-69465FB613BB.jpeg.29e1cbb4cc372745fb91eb0548b18c6f.jpeg

its a kettle with a box on the back..of course

I gather some steam-railtour followers have begun referring to the (increasingly inevitable) rear-end 47 as a Generator Van. 

Others I know only go out to see and hear that pass by and largely ignore what's on the front. The Sulzer engine revs rising above tickover to get the juice flowing seems to get their juices flowing.....

Takes all sorts, on both sides, dunnit.:jester:

John

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

20 hours ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

the rubbing plates may have looked like that for 15 minutes when the coaches were brand new before coupled to another vehicle but not c18 years in by the time CDL was fitted!

That, at least, comes down to ‘weathering’, and AFAICT Hornby don’t do weathering. 

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

There's been an increase in the number of people who have begun using 3D printed interiors to make accurate interior layouts, I've done a Mk1 coach interior for a MK1 Sleeper, I've seen others do Mk4 coaches and so on.

Unless a coach was designed and released from the ground up in this day and age, a minor issue like a coach interior is not going to affect most people. I really don't expect Hornby to shove out a few thousand pounds to design a brand new interior because one person has an issue with it. Is it even worth it? There's a lot of 3D designers on rmweb, most of which will be happy to help you so that your world won't stop spinning.

FWIW, external details are more of a show stopper than an interior that's just about visible when trains run through. BTW, most of the people who are up there with that level of detail like DCC interior lighting and so on, are more than capable of making an interior.

Just because it’s not important to you doesn’t make it a minor issue to someone else and the criticism is valid. Hornby have made some great coaches and gone to great lengths to get the interiors correct so it’s disappointing when it is wrong. Why should we have to spend with the 3D designers when Hornby could have got it right from the start? They have managed it before!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2