Hornby 2020 range announcements

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Hornby did do weathering, but not very well !

The only really effective weathering I've seen on a mass produced RTR model are the templates done by Mercig studies for Kernow MRC and the Dapol china clay wagons. If that quality cannot be matched, personally I would choose unweathered.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, truffy said:

AFAICT Hornby don’t do weathering. 

I've a couple of factory weathered Hornby locos, the weathering of which gives the impression that the loco has been driven wheels-deep through a cattle slurry pit.

Hornby sometimes do "weathering", but its done VERY badly!

I must add that I didn't buy them because they were weathered, but because they were cheap!

Edited by Hroth
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

The only really effective weathering I've seen on a mass produced RTR model are the templates done by Mercig studies for Kernow MRC and the Dapol china clay wagons. If that quality cannot be matched, personally I would choose unweathered.

Bachmann did an End Of Steam weathered Collectors Club BR Standard 4  4-6-0  with graffiti a couple of years back which was pretty good.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I remember being asked if I could repair (economically) a factory-weathered Hornby K1 whose valve gear was in disarray. All chassis parts were VERY heavily "misted" in an orange-brown colour, the rest of the loco almost clean. Weathering?!?  The requested repair wasn't feasible because the PLASTIC(!!!!!) slide bars were broken and I think they were part of a larger moulding including motion brackets. Naturally, they were moulded in a solvent-resistant plastic and there was no practical way that I could see to brace any repaired joints, so I had to hand the loco back and suggest that repair (if possible) was job for Hornby. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Markwj said:

Just because it’s not important to you doesn’t make it a minor issue to someone else and the criticism is valid. Hornby have made some great coaches and gone to great lengths to get the interiors correct so it’s disappointing when it is wrong. Why should we have to spend with the 3D designers when Hornby could have got it right from the start? They have managed it before!

No where have I mentioned that it is or isn't important to me. Chances are with the issue now being pointed out, it's actually going to bother me.

- If one posts a kind of issue like this on a modelling forum, you're going to get advice on how to tackle it and fix it or you'll just get someone grumbling about it with no real solution. The kind of issue raised is one that should be taken up with the manufacturer instead.
- The whole point of mine being, any model from that era be it a Hornby or ex-Lima model, was bound to have compromises. It came from an era where a lot of compromises were made. Whether they were small of big, these models sold in good quantities either way. For Hornby to tool up a brand new interior now, it's going to costs thousands of pounds to either modify the existing tooling or create a new one depending on how the current tooling is. Is it worth it? How many people know about the interior being incorrect? How many people are bothered by it? How many people have interior lighting that highlights every minute detail inside? Are we going to grumble about the increased prices after that?
- There's a lot of 3D designers out there who will charge little or nothing to create something as simple as that coach interior. We for one will be happy to do that. And we're happy to direct customers to excellent and affordable sources for 3D printing. This is the simplest and quickest way to rectify a problem ourselves. UNLESS said person actually raises the issue with the manufacturer in question.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

50 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Bachmann did an End Of Steam weathered Collectors Club BR Standard 4  4-6-0  with graffiti a couple of years back which was pretty good.

The "Flying Pig" Standard 4MT and the Ex LNWR G2 also being pretty decent in that department.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Soon.... :D

landed in the Accurascale thread.

I wonder if we will get a replacement delegate from Hornby on here.

Big shoes need filling.

Is it a sunny morning in Margate ?

:rolleyes:

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, adb968008 said:

Big shoes need filling.

The need for the individual to find new and exciting challenges is not in doubt, but replacements are not to be found on any shelf near Margate. And a well-respected adviser to the trade has now publicly nailed his colours to the Kernow mast, so Hornby product development may be a bit disrupted right now. I suspect it will be some time before the effect is felt at market level, though.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

I gather some steam-railtour followers have begun referring to the (increasingly inevitable) rear-end 47 as a Generator Van. 

Others I know only go out to see and hear that pass by and largely ignore what's on the front. The Sulzer engine revs rising above tickover to get the juice flowing seems to get their juices flowing.....

Takes all sorts, on both sides, dunnit.:jester:

John

Ive heard all kinds of names, by both steam and diesel types.

Coaljunkies and Kettle Corpses are two extremes on the steam side.

Scrap on the back, Oil cans are others on the diesel side.

not seen any for oil burning steam, or Electrics.

Hobby takes all types.

Edited by adb968008

8 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

There's been an increase in the number of people who have begun using 3D printed interiors to make accurate interior layouts, I've done a Mk1 coach interior for a MK1 Sleeper, I've seen others do Mk4 coaches and so on.

Unless a coach was designed and released from the ground up in this day and age, a minor issue like a coach interior is not going to affect most people. I really don't expect Hornby to shove out a few thousand pounds to design a brand new interior because one person has an issue with it. Is it even worth it? There's a lot of 3D designers on rmweb, most of which will be happy to help you so that your world won't stop spinning.

FWIW, external details are more of a show stopper than an interior that's just about visible when trains run through. BTW, most of the people who are up there with that level of detail like DCC interior lighting and so on, are more than capable of making an interior.

I didn't ask Hornby because I don't have a direct line to them, they probably don't care and it's too late now anyway.

As for the comment about having to shell out thousands to get the interior right- they HAD the right interior, when the scale length Mk3's came out there were three interior mouldings, a first class "48 seater", a buffet for the three large window varient and a standard class interior with a 72 seat layout which whilst not perfect for models after blue/grey was vastly better. They used this interior on all the releases back then and I have several HST trailers in Virgin Trains and First Great Western livery that have the standard class seat layout in the standard class coaches. 

I'm not capable of making an interior, I'd love to hear from someone who is- I started a thread on the "Modifying and Detailing RTR Stock" thread in the hope of someone coming up with one!!

3 hours ago, truffy said:

@fiftyfour fiftyfour, that's not what @GordonC wrote. Please don't put other words in place of what people have written. The direct quote feature is just that. People sometimes use strikethrough for comedic effect, but that's done obviously.

Screenshot 2020-09-09 at 08.59.02.png

I did it because a minority were spoiling this thread by starting/perpetuating a childish slanging match and I wanted to talk about a new Hornby release instead. Have me struck down by lightening for wanting to get back to talking about Hornby 2020 Range Announcements in a thread of that name....

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

I did it because a minority were spoiling this thread by starting/perpetuating a childish slanging match and I wanted to talk about a new Hornby release instead. Have me struck down by lightening for wanting to get back to talking about Hornby 2020 Range Announcements in a thread of that name....

Agree.  Calling a steam locomotive a kettle just to annoy people is childish.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

21 minutes ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

In which case, a better approach would have been to make it obvious. For example:

yet again the diesel and electric modeller gets fobbed off with tosh. They never seem to do these things for anything that gets hauled by a [steam locomotive]

Now, that wasn't too difficult, was it?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

And I refer to 'kettles', 'oil drums', and 'sparkies'. Not in a pejorative fashion, more as terms of endearment. I have all three types in my collection.

Seriously, if someone tries to use these as a pejorative, it says more about them than anything else.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Big shoes need filling.

Is it a sunny morning in Margate ?

:rolleyes:

In the days when we used to have exhibitions and shows which Hornby 

( sometimes ) attended ,Paul was always personable ,

upfront and the go to guy.Always eager to converse and share knowledge and involve you personally in the research and development of a model,something which some of us were privileged to participate in on occasion. A loan of my copy of “The Red Dragon and Other Old Friends” 

helped with one issue of a Hornby Castle.

Well done Paul. Enjoy working with the guys who broke the mould

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, truffy said:

And I refer to 'kettles', 'oil drums', and 'sparkies'. Not in a pejorative fashion, more as terms of endearment. I have all three types in my collection.

Seriously, if someone tries to use these as a pejorative, it says more about them than anything else.

Exactly, next thing we won't be allowed to call a class 66 a "shed" given that term is also in a derogatory fashion to describe a car it could be deemed offensive to anybody who is a sensitive 66 fan.

Isn't "duff" also slightly derogatory for a 47 and it was meant that way when first coined as far as I am aware?

• Agree 1

• Administrators
45 minutes ago, truffy said:

Can we all put the handbags down and stop name-calling, or the thread will be locked.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

I didn't ask Hornby because I don't have a direct line to them, they probably don't care and it's too late now anyway.

I'm not capable of making an interior, I'd love to hear from someone who is- I started a thread on the "Modifying and Detailing RTR Stock" thread in the hope of someone coming up with one!!

Hornby have a a massive social media presence. So I am not sure about the lack of a direct line. Even people like Simon Kohler and Lyndon Davies are on a variety of social media platforms and are more than happy to have a chat about all things model trains (both good and bad).

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Hornby have a a massive social media presence. So I am not sure about the lack of a direct line. Even people like Simon Kohler and Lyndon Davies are on a variety of social media platforms and are more than happy to have a chat about all things model trains (both good and bad).

I'm not on Facecloth or Twitter and never will be so those options are unavailable to me. Using the right interior for the Mk3 from the range of carriage interiors they have would negate my need to contact them!

You have not addressed my point; I'm not asking for a special interior to be made just to make me happy, I'm asking for them to use their existing standard class interior inside their standard class coach. If that makes me unreasonable then so be it.

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Did you try asking them?

I have emailed them twice with no reply regarding the Mk3 sliding door stock.

First message sent July 27th and second August 21st.

edit: date amended

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MGR Hooper! said:

That assumes members of this forum are social media devotees. Many are not and are averse to its use.....massive or otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3