Hornby 2020 range announcements

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, newbryford said:

I have emailed them twice with no reply regarding the Mk3 sliding door stock.

First message sent July 27th and second August 21st.

edit: date amended

I tried an email contact two weeks ago over concerns with ordering from their website.Immediate automated response apologised for a delay in replying due to COVID 19 etc. But eventually I did receive a reply this Monday...with apologies. So there is someone out there......eventually.

• Informative/Useful 1

17 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Thursday, will be the first time ive seen a mainline steam railtour in London this year, its been so long I needed to rehearse....

E8D70707-21BB-4B12-979C-69465FB613BB.jpeg.29e1cbb4cc372745fb91eb0548b18c6f.jpeg

its a kettle with a box on the back..of course

I think the black on your kettle is too black ...can’t they get anything right ?

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

No where have I mentioned that it is or isn't important to me. Chances are with the issue now being pointed out, it's actually going to bother me.

- If one posts a kind of issue like this on a modelling forum, you're going to get advice on how to tackle it and fix it or you'll just get someone grumbling about it with no real solution. The kind of issue raised is one that should be taken up with the manufacturer instead.
- The whole point of mine being, any model from that era be it a Hornby or ex-Lima model, was bound to have compromises. It came from an era where a lot of compromises were made. Whether they were small of big, these models sold in good quantities either way. For Hornby to tool up a brand new interior now, it's going to costs thousands of pounds to either modify the existing tooling or create a new one depending on how the current tooling is. Is it worth it? How many people know about the interior being incorrect? How many people are bothered by it? How many people have interior lighting that highlights every minute detail inside? Are we going to grumble about the increased prices after that?
- There's a lot of 3D designers out there who will charge little or nothing to create something as simple as that coach interior. We for one will be happy to do that. And we're happy to direct customers to excellent and affordable sources for 3D printing. This is the simplest and quickest way to rectify a problem ourselves. UNLESS said person actually raises the issue with the manufacturer in question.

It was the world won’t stop spinning comment in your previous post which makes it appear you are belittling the concerns / complaints raised. 

4 hours ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

I'm not on Facecloth or Twitter and never will be so those options are unavailable to me. Using the right interior for the Mk3 from the range of carriage interiors they have would negate my need to contact them!

You have not addressed my point; I'm not asking for a special interior to be made just to make me happy, I'm asking for them to use their existing standard class interior inside their standard class coach. If that makes me unreasonable then so be it.

I'm suspecting something will have happened to the original tooling such that it isn't available for use. But if they're wanting to continue producing the models I dont really think it too much to expect them to be able to come up with a suitable 'standard class' interior and roof for the buffet coaches ... we're hardly talking an eiffel tower made of matchsticks here, but the roof especially is such a visible part of the model.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, GordonC said:

I'm suspecting something will have happened to the original tooling such that it isn't available for use. But if they're wanting to continue producing the models I dont really think it too much to expect them to be able to come up with a suitable 'standard class' interior and roof for the buffet coaches ... we're hardly talking an eiffel tower made of matchsticks here, but the roof especially is such a visible part of the model.

My hope is that, now the new Mk3s with plug doors are out, Hornby is working on new old Mk3s based on that tooling, with new old interiors to match.

27 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

My hope is that, now the new Mk3s with plug doors are out, Hornby is working on new old Mk3s based on that tooling, with new old interiors to match.

I would have hoped so, but if they had that plan in mind I would have thought they'd just have held off from re-doing 'old' liveries at the moment until new tooling was ready. Having the Oxford Rail Mk3A around might have muddied the waters though since they had previously said they were planning on doing HST trailers too

23 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Hornby have a a massive social media presence. So I am not sure about the lack of a direct line. Even people like Simon Kohler and Lyndon Davies are on a variety of social media platforms and are more than happy to have a chat about all things model trains (both good and bad).

If I was in a senior or comms role in one of the manufacturers, whilst I may not post under my own name, I would certainly lurk on forums such as this.  I may not choose to identify myself, largely to avoid debate/wishlisting/whinging, but I'd want to be reading directly customer comments, good or ill,  which I'd use to inform my own customer communications through whatever medium I prefer.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 08/09/2020 at 23:44, adb968008 said:

Thursday, will be the first time ive seen a mainline steam railtour in London this year, its been so long I needed to rehearse....

E8D70707-21BB-4B12-979C-69465FB613BB.jpeg.29e1cbb4cc372745fb91eb0548b18c6f.jpeg

its a kettle with a box on the back..of course

Be careful or Mr. Hargrave will give you a tender behind! :D

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, GordonC said:

Having the Oxford Rail Mk3A around might have muddied the waters though since they had previously said they were planning on doing HST trailers too

True, but seeing as it’s been so long since we have seen any new ones, I very much doubt they are in a hurry to do them. Would be perfect chance for Hornby to hit the Mk3’s and Mk4’s for their range. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

For the Intercity Mk3 Standard Class coaches, can readers confirm if all of the releases R40003/A/B/C are afflicted with the incorrect First Class 2+1 interior, or just one of the versions mentioned above please?

Hornby’s CGI photographs show the seating to have the correct Standard layout (misaligned to windows) and so nearly all online retailers are using these CGI pics so it’s challenging to tell what the actual thing is like before ordering!

Cheers,

James 

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, James Makin said:

For the Intercity Mk3 Standard Class coaches, can readers confirm if all of the releases R40003/A/B/C are afflicted with the incorrect First Class 2+1 interior, or just one of the versions mentioned above please?

Yes, they've all got 2+1 seating, but I had to take them off the track and hold them up to a bright light to confirm - the window tinting does a very good job of disguising it whilst sitting on the layout.  I wouldn't have noticed if I wasn't actively looking for it...

Likewise all four have the decal representing the CDL release handle at the opposite end to the moulded detail on one side as mentioned earlier by @fiftyfour fiftyfour.  

Silly mistakes, but nothing I can't live with...

• Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, James Makin said:

Hornby’s CGI photographs show the seating to have the correct Standard layout (misaligned to windows) and so nearly all online retailers are using these CGI pics so it’s challenging to tell what the actual thing is like before ordering!

Cheers,

James 

I have one each of R40003/A/B/C and all are first class interiors.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, 3rd Rail Exile said:

Yes, they've all got 2+1 seating, but I had to take them off the track and hold them up to a bright light to confirm - the window tinting does a very good job of disguising it whilst sitting on the layout.  I wouldn't have noticed if I wasn't actively looking for it...

Likewise all four have the decal representing the CDL release handle at the opposite end to the moulded detail on one side as mentioned earlier by @fiftyfour fiftyfour.  

Silly mistakes, but nothing I can't live with...

The CDL error is a quick fix, repainting the ends is also a quick fix and can be done whilst I repaint the step boards and fill in the holes where the buffers don't go, although such things lead me to question why I'm having to redeploy £200 of brand new coaches straight to the work bench! Others I'm sure will live with the totally wrong interiors in much the same way that others will live with the colours on the Oxford Mk3's- I'm happy to be in a minority who wants something better! 

• RMweb Gold
On 11/09/2020 at 09:57, newbryford said:

Does it use electrickery from the third rail to boil the water?

No but it does use electrickery for lights, all of them... 

This locations been my favourite spot this year, all up hill heading south too (this is a cut from the video)

To think 150+ years back, some poor souls had to dig that out by hand, and not content with that, a rival train company got them to dig an almost identical ditch not 25 metres to the right.

Network Rails has done a huge job on this embankment this year, opening up this view, I hope the shrubbery doesn't grow back too fast.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

To think 150+ years back, some poor souls had to dig that out by hand, and not content with that, a rival train company got them to dig an almost identical ditch not 25 metres to the right.

Star Bridge, Hooley?

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Star Bridge, Hooley?

Yes sir.

A great location currently, up hill all the way to the tunnel.

The weekly class 37 sounds good too here.

Theres another bridge, opposite side of the tunnel, from Merstham, also uphill (peak is in the tunnel itself)... so either side is a good viewpoint.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Be interesting to see what % continue with said hobbies .

My local mountain bike group is seeing an upswing in covid bike starters ditching it now and selling on... although that’s a bit risky as we await the next U turn 

I suppose it helps Hornby that their brands are well-known and their products are readily available online (including from Amazon, which is most people's default choice for buying via the Internet, as well as their own direct-to-consumer website). Lockdown may have been less beneficial to other manufacturers that don't have the same levels of brand recognition or widespread online availability.