Hornby 2020 range announcements

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
On 07/11/2020 at 21:16, robmcg said:

But I thought all GWR Panniers were the same. More or less....

I suspect thats growing up in an age where going to a model shop and asking for a Pannier, the answer was :

“Certainly sir, we have 3 different types.. Hornby, Lima or Mainline”

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Or a proper model shop which would have about thirty others....

Jason

All in different states of poor kit build assembly, bad paint, glue, or just plain trashed... the only thing in common being an x04 motor without pickups working to the wheels ?

lets face reality, thats why we are getting the rtr model varieties we are getting.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

50 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

All in different states of poor kit build assembly, bad paint, glue, or just plain trashed... the only thing in common being an x04 motor without pickups working to the wheels ?

lets face reality, thats why we are getting the rtr model varieties we are getting.

Never mentioned second hand junk built by a ham fisted idiot. I mean brand new in boxes in that era. Often with Romford wheels, gears and a decent motor in it. Even Hattons and Beatties had a large selection in the 1970s and 1980s. No argument over livery. Paint it whatever you want.

Light years ahead of anything made RTR at the time. Many of them still are.

As for the second point, I totally disagree. There are probably more kits available now than ever. Just that they tend to be more obscure variants due to people buying the RTR version. Who would bring out a new kit of a locomotive if Hornby do one? You're throwing money away. For example no one has made a 57XX since the Ks/Nucast kit. It still stands up well against the RTR model.

As an example. How many would buy a Brassmasters Princess over a Hornby one? Not many. But the Brassmasters version is a vastly superior model.

People think the Hornby Hall is good. Really? Better than this....

http://www.brassmasters.co.uk/gwr_hall_4-6-0.htm

Even has working inside valve gear.

Jason

2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Never mentioned second hand junk built by a ham fisted idiot. I mean brand new in boxes in that era. Often with Romford wheels, gears and a decent motor in it. Even Hattons and Beatties had a large selection in the 1970s and 1980s. No argument over livery. Paint it whatever you want.

Light years ahead of anything made RTR at the time. Many of them still are.

As for the second point, I totally disagree. There are probably more kits available now than ever. Just that they tend to be more obscure variants due to people buying the RTR version. Who would bring out a new kit of a locomotive if Hornby do one? You're throwing money away. For example no one has made a 57XX since the Ks/Nucast kit. It still stands up well against the RTR model.

As an example. How many would buy a Brassmasters Princess over a Hornby one? Not many. But the Brassmasters version is a vastly superior model.

People think the Hornby Hall is good. Really? Better than this....

http://www.brassmasters.co.uk/gwr_hall_4-6-0.htm

Even has working inside valve gear.

Jason

There are also people like me who don't have the time, money, or resources to kit build, plus back in the day R-t-R was apparently inferior to kit building, but we're in an age where R-t-R models are more readiky available and more popular, not for the best reasons of course.

• Like 1

On 06/11/2020 at 16:02, Steamport Southport said:

Nope. I doubt it's a thing that the average football fan would be interested in. A bit like those wanting to build the replica Man United expecting loads of people to put money in because of the name. It didn't happen.

There were some catalogue specials. At the time Littlewoods had a deal with Hornby for limited editions there were a few B17s.

As for the original Hornby version. If you look at the second hand market. Loads of mint Man Uniteds, a few Liverpool. Never seen a Nottingham Forest or Arsenal come up though which were the two other names. 

I don't think mine lasted five minutes before the name was changed. :D

But to be honest I'm not that bitter about having a rival football club name as a model. I have Leeds United and I have as much dislike for them as any other club.

As an aside two of the original nameplates for Liverpool and Everton used to be in the Head Of Steam next to Liverpool Lime Street. No idea where they went since it was changed into a 'Spoons.

I know the clubs all got one.

As someone who doesn't even like football, it hasn't stopped me owning Leeds Utd and Leicester City. Although I must confess I am considering renumbering/naming LU as 61674 Moseley, to reflect my own season ticket! Just got to work out how to file down the ball to the right shape...

Edited by Helmdon
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
On 01/10/2020 at 21:06, caradoc said:

Apologies if thus has been mentioned before (in these 66 pages) but the green Mark 1 BG announced on Page 1 was shown numbered S84289, and on their imminent release, retailer publicity still shows the same vehicle number. Surely this is wrong ? There was a BG renumbered 84289 (from 81289, in connection with the introduction of POIS) but not until the mid-1980s, and therefore definitely not in green livery !

On 30/10/2020 at 13:10, caradoc said:

Which is good, but the green BG still appears to have an incorrect number. 

Sorry if this has been updated previously, but I couldn't find it in this thread...

The green BG (R4982) that I've just received from Hattons on pre-order (Hattons seem to have got their delivery later than some others) is numbered S81289, depite (as you say) being advertised as S84289 (and appearing as such on Hattons' invoice).  

I presume this is correct...

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Philip Jackson said:

I'm a little confused. And sorry if this has already been mentioned. In 2008 Hornby released R2688 LNER Class A4 Sir Nigel Gresley Limited Edition 70 Years Of Hornby. I may not have an A level in maths but its only been 12 years since then so Hornby is 82 this year 

That was 70 years of Hornby Dublo. Hornby Dublo was launched in 1938 with the release of an A4 Sir Nigel Gresley. The first Hornby train set of all (in coarse scale O gauge) was released in 1920. Hence 100 years of Hornby Trains.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 17/11/2020 at 15:14, 3rd Rail Exile said:

Sorry if this has been updated previously, but I couldn't find it in this thread...

The green BG (R4982) that I've just received from Hattons on pre-order (Hattons seem to have got their delivery later than some others) is numbered S81289, depite (as you say) being advertised as S84289 (and appearing as such on Hattons' invoice).  

I presume this is correct...

From foggy memory I seem to recall that some BG's were renumbered (into the 84xxx series) either very late 70's or early 80's.

This would tend to indicate Hornby have sidestepped a potential pitfall.

Happy to be confirmed or corrected, just posting on memory and would need to reference some old Platform5 books in the loft to be more sure.

• RMweb Gold

The Southern Region had no allocated BGs, and hence none were painted green, until 1963.

I had assumed, [possibly*] wrongly, that the small final lot of new-build, 81613-81628* (see below), were the vehicles involved. The one Hornby are doing was built in 1957 so would have been a transfer-in.

AFAIK all BGs were originally numbered in the 80xxx and 81xxx series, and renumbering into the 84xxx block came later, possibly arising from the removal of guard accommodation.

John

* Some rooting around in the appendices of Parkin disproves my earlier opinion. The vehicles in question being allocated new to the LMR. Thus all the ones received by the Southern would have been second-hand.

Edited by Dunsignalling
Correction / addition
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, Philip Jackson said:

I'm a little confused. And sorry if this has already been mentioned. In 2008 Hornby released R2688 LNER Class A4 Sir Nigel Gresley Limited Edition 70 Years Of Hornby. I may not have an A level in maths but its only been 12 years since then so Hornby is 82 this year 

I noticed that too. It didn’t bother me enough to investigate. Most of these anniversary editions pass me by because I regard them as charging a bit extra for the same model. I like vanilla and I like vanilla models.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

On 20/11/2020 at 11:54, No Decorum said:

I noticed that too. It didn’t bother me enough to investigate. Most of these anniversary editions pass me by because I regard them as charging a bit extra for the same model. I like vanilla and I like vanilla models.

Same here. It annoys me when they release a "celebrity" loco without having released a bog standard, middle of the batch un-named one is what I crave- it's not a special occasion every day on my railway!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 20/11/2020 at 11:54, No Decorum said:

Hornby began with O Gauge (Now 100 years old) and with H-Dublo in 1938, therefore, both anniversaries were/are correct. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 22/11/2020 at 14:40, john new said:

Hornby began with O Gauge (Now 100 years old) and with H-Dublo in 1938, therefore, both anniversaries were/are correct. 

Pretty soon they will be able to have annual 50th anniversaries of the toolings too.

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 7

I've just had a look on Hatton's and they now list the newly tooled 2020 products being released between April and July 2021 weather this a rough estimate and they will arrive earlier who knows. from what I saw the BR Class 91s are now due in May 2021,  LNER W1s originals and rebuilt are now expected April 2021.  The BR Standard 2MT Class locos are now due between May and June 2021. The BR Class 370 APT-Ps are now due in July 2021. also a lot of the relieved reintroduced locos from the 2020 range and rolling stock which are also now due between mid 2021.  understandably these are only estimates there is also a few from the 2019 range still yet to come. obviously they have their reasons more demand etc reasons a lot of modifications etc are required to the 2MTs as mentioned in last months engine shed also from Septembers Engine Shed the APT-P also needs modifications as mentioned closer fitting parts etc and I would  rather see the new products delayed for as long as is required for "ironing things out"  and for which ever other reasons Hornby have, before they are all finalised and going into final production. 

Edited by RyanN91
missed information.
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 20/11/2020 at 10:04, Dunsignalling said:

AFAIK all BGs were originally numbered in the 80xxx and 81xxx series, and renumbering into the 84xxx block came later, possibly arising from the removal of guard accommodation.

John

Indeed. 81289 is the correct number for operation in BR(S) green in the 60s. The renumbering of the 81xxx series to 84xxx was to avoid different vehicles (locos, MUs, coaches, NPCCS) from carrying the same number. 81xxx clashed with Class 81 electrics and since the Class 84s had already been withdrawn, that number series was used. Can't remember when the renumbering started but it has already been covered on RMWeb elsewhere.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1