Hornby 2020 range announcements

AY Mod

On 23/08/2020 at 17:52, RyanN91 said:

Thanks for that! Finally they have used the correct tooling! In 2014 they ballsed up the IC Executive livery BR MK3 buffet carriage. They used the same tooling for the standard open coach and 1st class coach and the same for the BR MK3 INTERCITY swallow BR MK3 buffet cars in 2018.

Solving the issue with the terrible interiors on the R40003 series Intercity Swallow Mk3 coaches released a couple of months ago, I found the best method of installing those replacement interiors on eBay was to leave the single round seat unit locating peg in place and drill a 3mm hole in the replacement interior using the old one as a guide- means it cannot shuffle about and stays in right place when body slotted back on. Step boards and handrails into black, the central door locking release handle into the right place, the awful brilliant white rubbing plates and vestibule doors painted over and a little weathering of the underframe and you end up with a coach that I'm happy with at least!

Modified Hornby coach v2.jpg

Modified Hornby coach.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

Solving the issue with the terrible interiors on the R40003 series Intercity Swallow Mk3 coaches released a couple of months ago, I found the best method of installing those replacement interiors on eBay was to leave the single round seat unit locating peg in place and drill a 3mm hole in the replacement interior using the old one as a guide- means it cannot shuffle about and stays in right place when body slotted back on. Step boards and handrails into black, the central door locking release handle into the right place, the awful brilliant white rubbing plates and vestibule doors painted over and a little weathering of the underframe and you end up with a coach that I'm happy with at least!

Wow they look fantastic. Are they just 3D printed versions? Perfect fit? 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

They have indeed come out very well. Hope you like them.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Wow they look fantastic. Are they just 3D printed versions? Perfect fit? 

Yes, 3D printed. The lovely "MGR Hopper" kindly did an excellent job designing them and they have come out very well, when installed in the coach they look spot on and exceeded my expectations. Small declaration- on the Hornby ones they do fit but I found it best to just shave a little area off around the six body locating clips so that they don't pop up above the clips on one side whilst clipping the bodyshell back onto the chassis causing the interior to sit slightly higher on one side, but that was just me being fussy. Shameless plug- still available whilst stock last; ebay item # 184545028334 or just search "Mk3 interior Lima" or "Mk3 interior Hornby".

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rovex said:

Not wanting to start anything but when are Hornby announcing their 2021 range?

5th January 2021. I think it is 10:00am. A video advert sort of thing was on their website today.. . 

6 hours ago, rovex said:

I want to make sure I mark the day so I can be the first to post, "well nothing for me!"

Right! I'll follow you with the price rise complaints... 

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, rovex said:

Not wanting to start anything but when are Hornby announcing their 2021 range?

5-1-21. 10am. Advent calendar has a wee teaser video. No model teasers. Just the announcement of the date for the announcement. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, big jim said:

Just had a call from trident trains my GBRF class 50 is in stock, wasn’t expecting that, will collect it tomorrow 

I hope stock holds out long enough for me to get them, it was one I was pleased to see in the brochure but wasn't at the top of the list.

On 23/08/2020 at 17:52, RyanN91 said:

In 2014 they ballsed up the IC Executive livery BR MK3 buffet carriage. They used the same tooling for the standard open coach and 1st class coach and the same for the BR MK3 INTERCITY swallow BR MK3 buffet cars in 2018.

Just discovered this on my September release - First Class and Standard have the same seating, although different colours of plastic.  Disappointing :(

Surprised they didn't fix it for this new release but then I'm sure someone from Hornby was quoted as saying that if people keep buying them, they will still make them - no need in spending the money to improve it.

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, BritishRail60062 said:

That Class 50 looks slick mate. Does it come with metal nameplates like the newer Class 60's from Hornby? Might have to get one myself :).

4 hours ago, norfolkchinaclay said:

Very nice Jim. Did it have any snowploughs in the detail pack?

Didn’t notice any plates but there are ploughs in the detail packs 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

How annoying and irritating are Lloyd's I had a pre order and they blocked the transaction :angry: you'd think that by they'd know by now anything trains or railway related it is me buying these related products! Very irritating aren't they! :laugh_mini: I've had to say it was me in a reply to a text message from them. Which then meant I had to then email the retailer another wait another hassle for them too as It should have been ok for them to do something they should have been able to do in the first place! :nono: so they could try again and it worked but it has probably delayed my order so my Centenary Clan Line is now possessed.... Finally! what a parlivar! 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Afraid that's now standard security procedure and you will almost certainly have had advance warning of it buried in small print on your statement or other communication from the bank. It happens thankfully infrequently and the transaction the extra check is applied to is 'selected' totally randomly. No doubt there'll be an algorithm at work somewhere behind the scenes.

It happened to me when I was buying a new 'phone earlier this year and circumstances conspired to have both my Wife's and my own Debit cards blocked. I had to phone Fraud and undergo the Spanish Inquisition (best to have a recent statement or list of regular payments handy) before the cards were re instated, all because the local bank had not updated mobile phone contact numbers as requested. The 'system' had therefore text the confirmation message to a number no longer in use. Very annoying at the time.

You will get over it,  ... eventually.

Regards,

John

Ps, I'm hoping the algorithm doesn't choose a transaction when my Hornby loco pre order comes to market sometime next year.

Edited by Brit70053
To add connection to the topic plus a Correction
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

8 hours ago, Brit70053 said:

Afraid that's now standard security procedure and you will almost certainly have had advance warning of it buried in small print on your statement or other communication from the bank. It happens thankfully infrequently and the transaction the extra check is applied to is 'selected' totally randomly. No doubt there'll be an algorithm at work somewhere behind the scenes.

It happened to me when I was buying a new 'phone earlier this year and circumstances conspired to have both my Wife's and my own Debit cards blocked. I had to phone Fraud and undergo the Spanish Inquisition (best to have a recent statement or list of regular payments handy) before the cards were re instated, all because the local bank had not updated mobile phone contact numbers as requested. The 'system' had therefore text the confirmation message to a number no longer in use. Very annoying at the time.

You will get over it,  ... eventually.

Regards,

John

Ps, I'm hoping the algorithm doesn't choose a transaction when my Hornby loco pre order comes to market sometime next year.

Thank you for this John!  :lol: Yes  it can be annoying and extremely frustrating but on reflection I would rather this than have some low life theief who had stolen my bank details etc. I'm glad now that Lloyd's had frozen it actually. Incase a crime had been committed by fraudsters etc. I'm very sorry to hear about a similar issue with banks and cards that you and your wife had endured I understand how frustrating this is. I am aware of the clauses etc. It is Just as I never had any problems before with any pre orders and card details etc as I naively assumed this would be OK also. Well lesson learned there! 

I probably overly reacted as this has never happened to me before.  My main concern was that if I hadn't had sorted it out as fast enough as I had done than the retailer (I won't mention names they were fantastic about it and explains it happens often.) I was worried that it would have re sold my pre order to someone else.  

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi RyanN91, agreed its very annoying and stressful at the time, but on reflection the bank is acting in your interests. It can also heighten your awareness of the possibility of scams making you more alert when an 'unusual activity on your debit card' text arrives out of the blue, (scam) but that is a different topic.

John

• Friendly/supportive 2

On 06/12/2020 at 17:53, big jim said:

Didn’t notice any plates but there are ploughs in the detail packs 

Did you get two detail packs for both ends Jim?

I’ve just got my 50049 and there was only one bag of detail parts inside with three sections of ploughs just for one end..

And no etched nameplates included either.

The other example at the shop is the same apparently. Long time since I’ve bought a Hornby loco and not impressed if this is an example of penny pinching.. :(

Spoken to Hornby technical department. They couldn’t give me an answer over phone but said they will look into it if I email them the serial number.

Least I could get some etched plates from Shawplan/Extreme Etchings.

Edited by norfolkchinaclay