Hornby 2020 range announcements

AY Mod

I feel like I am definitely not the target audience this year but the wartime black H is welcome! This does mean there is money freed up for potentially a black Merchant Navy and malachite birdcages when they come down a bit... Over to Rails for a wartime black Terrier maybe later in the year?  Curious about what is coming from Bachmann now...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

At last a new Mk1 RB.  For years I hoped Bachmann would add one to their range, now Hornby have beaten them to it. Now could Hornby be persuaded to add the Intercity charter white roof livery to the range with the obvious Mk1 FO. 

Pre-tops 08 will probably head my way as might the GWR liveried HST and Mk3s which up until now I have missed out on because of bigger financial priorities at the time and more HAAs and CDAs too....

APT is one I will certainly watch with interest, but lastly, am I right in thinking no Pullman coaches this year for the first time since.........

• Like 1

HST coaches in Swallow livery- I can see I'm a lone voice here but Hornby's researchers are absolutely rubbish in this department and have scored another own goal. Again.

Before the time that set received Central Door Locking it had been cascaded down to Cross-Country, 41086 knocked out, and 40436 inserted in place of 40703 (which had found its way into LA35). They **could** have used their four window buffet car moulding to correctly represent XC69 as a seven car rake to go with 43065+43123. We still have not had a 4-window HST buffet which anyone modelling Cross-Country in ANY era needs- if only that poxy 40703 model had been 40436 with the correct moulding that would have been a really good train...

The nameplate on 43065 dates the pairing after February 1996, much as last years nameplate on 43078 dated that pairing into a very narrow timeframe right at the end before Virgin took over- my second pet hate on HST models is insistence on modelling a "namer"-  it means trying to colour match to conceal a nameplate on a brand new model if your era is pre 1996 in this case.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

Thank you to Andy and Graham Muz for your reports on the range. Far easier to digest than any other outlet!

Ambitious, positive stuff. Big ticket LNER locos, clearly aimed at modellers, that'll please many within the hobby. Excited for the 2MT and might be tempted by Rocket. As per Edwardian, great liveries for the terriers but I await the Rails ones for now.

Nice nostalgia with the old packaging on the celebration products.

Hopefully malachite on the LN might see 850 appear in the locomotion range as preserved.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

7 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

By different coaches I should have been clearer that the differences are with the coach names only

That's how I understood your post, but it still means that the only way to get all the coaches/coach names is to buy two Rocket train packs.

But, as I said plenty of other items available.

The ones I am wavering over are the BR green Mark 1 coaches  -  they seem to have crests on their sides, which ( as far as I understand it ) restricts them to a single train - the Wessex Express ???

• Agree 1

A2/2 "Cock of the North" for me. £190 due December,  Thats around £4 a week to save - worth it to me.

Never thought I would ever see one of those RTR, and a kit of one of those is beyond me.. Thanks Tony (Wright) for making this loco class popular in your wonderful thread.

Brit15

20 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Sorry, slipped finger lead to posting half of list. Now updated.

D1905 57' BTK       Modified from same coach as existing Hornby BTK R4232 etc.

D1963 57' BFK        Coronation Scot version of D1910. not previously produced.

D1960 57' FK           Coronation Scot version of D1930.  Hornby R4230 etc, although some have wrong seating layout.

Some original issues are numbered in D1909 series which had 2 a side seating.

D1912 50' RK           Coronation Scot version of standard D1912. Not previously produced.

D1902 65' RFO         Coronation Scot version of standard D1902. Not previously produced.

D1981 57' RTO          Coronation Scot conversion from D1904. Not previously produced.

I thought they had done the TO as well (or a TK with the same outline)? Probably mistaken though.

All of mine are Comet so I haven't been paying much attention to the Hornby version I'm afraid.

Jason

20 minutes ago, red death said:

It depends on whether you ever want to see improvements or whether you are happy to stick with 30 year old tooling? For the 66 Hornby haven't tooled anything new up (just used the old Lima "66" tooling) and for something like the 66 there's probably space in the market for both a basic and full fat version.  

Hornby showed little interest in re-tooling their 91 (and I don't blame them for that) for years and yet Cavalex announce it and a new version is on the horizon.  

Competition is great in large markets and even in small markets provided it doesn't end up with unintended consequences of putting smaller players out of the game - that way you end up with pseudo-monopolies rather than competition.

I agree. It's all in the timing, and the intent behind it and the effect it has.

To be quite frank, I don't know what a "91" is, so I don't know whether it's one of those models that's "always been in the Hornby range", and, if so, whether genuinely so, or "always been a Hornby model" in the sense of the 1989 Dapol-designed Terrier!

And, yes, where you have a model in your range already I'm sure re-tooling is often under-consideration at various times, and that in theory there would be a re-tool at some point, so claims can always be made that "we were going to do it anyway". 

Yet, it seems to me that on three recent occasions Hornby has been content not to re-tool until it has seen a competitor about to do so and then it's rushed to market it to spoil their sales. I hesitated before striking a negative note where there is much in this milestone anniversary and in this 2020 range to celebrate, but then, this petulant and damaging reaction of senior management to competition is now, alas, part of the Hornby story - as seen on TV - and no one is making Hornby executives behave in this way. It's as if being in charge of a household name has rather gone to their heads.  Hopefully, now that 2019, that most febrile of years is over, Hornby will re-think a potentially self-destructive strategy that leaves them looking to all but the most diehard fanboy like some over-grown playground bully.  We all want Hornby to survive, but they don't have to behave like this. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

Some brave announcements. No shock the Pendolino is back out in the new Avanti Colours!

Wish they did the Class 373 Eurostar in Original Colours again, not this random Beatles Livery...

For me I'm glad to see the Buffered Class 43 PowerCars in ICS. That's on my buy list now - Along with Mk3s  :D

Shame not to seen modern EMUs again...

• Agree 1

Everyone will have a different view on this, but for me, it’s fairly obvious what sold well this year and is being repeated ;

- ex Lima 66 on many flavours 

- class 60 in DB ( 2 more )

disappointed no rerun of EWS 60 as getting harder to find on eBay .

would  have welcomed more use of SD class 31 tooling as we only have headcode versions in green and Dutch. When was the last bog standard blue 31 released that didn’t self destruct ? 10 years ?

Id rather they’d maximised exsisting  tooling  before branching out into “ steampunk “ ( whatever that is )

And I’m not sure why the terrible graffiti weathered wagons are back - didn’t they end up in the bargain bucket ?

on the plus side there is still plenty of interesting stuff for steamies, and if they get the APT right I’m sure that’ll do well.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, bart2day said:

Three manufacturers now have been burned by producing models that have been staples in Hornby’s range for years: Rails of Sheffield (Terrier), Hattons (Class 66) and Cavalex (91) and then complained afterwards that TS ‘spiteful’. Maybe it will actually teach them to manufacturer one of the dozens of locos/units that have never been produced in model form before rather than constantly retooling the same old locos from other manufacturers ranges’.

I think this might be the case already with Rails of Sheffield announcing the SECR D Class. A type that has never been available as a RTR model before and that has consistently scored high in the wish list type polls.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

That's how I understood your post, but it still means that the only way to get all the coaches/coach names is to buy two Rocket train packs.

Makes me wonder whether one or the other may later be released as a stand-alone coach pack. If so, which one?

I'm not a betting man, which is just as well since every dog that I've backed turned out to have three legs, but if I were I'd say that H would be more likely to keep the exclusivity of the special edition and release the coaches of the standard.

But don't base any purchases on my speculation! ;)

34 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

I was vaguely interested in a Rocket" pack until I read the above.   It would seem that to get all the coaches you need 2 Rocket train packs  -  disappointing and off-putting.

( By the way, what are the maximum number of coaches a Rocket can haul on the flat ? )

Still there are other things available.

Quite a few. Typical trains would be about half a dozen First Class and a similar number of open carriages.

The mock ups are a bit shortened. Probably to show the types of vehicle rather than typical train formations.

800px-Liverpool_and_Manchester_Railway_1

Jason

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I thought they had done the TO as well (or a TK with the same outline)? Probably mistaken though.

All of mine are Comet so I haven't been paying much attention to the Hornby version I'm afraid.

Jason

The Hornby TK is D1899. The TOs used for the Coronation Scot conversions had the doors and toilets in different positions.

A few things I'm really happy about

One the inclusion of Tinplate (3 RAIL for crying out loud!) Locomotives (Win for the collectors! prices need to be dropped a LOT to sell more!)

Rovex Themed Train Set (Something I hope they continue to produce! especially if they sell 6" coaches more! the amount of projects that could be used for them are massive!)

and the Stephenson's Rocket train set! (Something I HOPE they continue to produce for a LONG time, its a much needed model in the range!)

Why Hornby! why only 1000 units? surely you could produce much more! think of the Massive demographic you guys have and the amount of people who want these beautiful reproductions! 

Good Luck! best wishes for your centenary! 

Edit: where is the TT gauge? TT was a massive (but small) part of Tri-angs History

Edited by Max's Model Railway
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

HST coaches in Swallow livery- I can see I'm a lone voice here but Hornby's researchers are absolutely rubbish in this department and have scored another own goal. Again.

Before the time that set received Central Door Locking it had been cascaded down to Cross-Country, 41086 knocked out, and 40436 inserted in place of 40703 (which had found its way into LA35). They **could** have used their four window buffet car moulding to correctly represent XC69 as a seven car rake to go with 43065+43123. We still have not had a 4-window HST buffet which anyone modelling Cross-Country in ANY era needs- if only that poxy 40703 model had been 40436 with the correct moulding that would have been a really good train...

The nameplate on 43065 dates the pairing after February 1996, much as last years nameplate on 43078 dated that pairing into a very narrow timeframe right at the end before Virgin took over- my second pet hate on HST models is insistence on modelling a "namer"-  it means trying to colour match to conceal a nameplate on a brand new model if your era is pre 1996 in this case.

Fear not, you are not alone. It's the first thing I noticed when I saw this pack no 4 windowed buffet -_-

Meh, nothing in it for me. There again I model in N Gauge.

Submitted the shop order and tried to get everything on there that we wanted and had to go back and check again. There was a WOW from me. Good to see that there no "spoilers" released early on the Hornby range. Sadly someone decided to publish all the Airfix new releases over the weekend.

Rocket celebrated it's 190th Anniversary and the local model railway clubs based in and around Rainhill put on a great weekend of entertainment. When I asked why 190 and not wait until the 200th? Easy answer, "a lot of us may not still be around". A truly local to our area loco. On a clear day I can see Rainhill lol.

• Like 5