Hornby 2020 range announcements

AY Mod

5 minutes ago, tgk300 said:

Are opinions differing from your own not allowed? Must all opinions agree with yours or else they are worthy of a warning? Is this one of those forums dictated by mods with their own ideology and anything else is totally supressed? Seems that way to me. 

No, but it’s all in how you put them.

And I thought I was an angry gammon.....I’m just a beginner it seems 

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 5

3 minutes ago, D6975 said:

The front cab windows are horribly wrong, the characteristic sad eyed look and the rearwards rake are missing .

Thanks for clarifying as I knew it was something about the cab ends but been a while since I read those threads.

3 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

I can confirm that the Rocket tooling is completely new and totally to 1/76th scale. The limited edition version with its Centenary box and certificate  (and Golden Ticket' chance) also contains different named coaches to the standard range version. 

They looked exquisite when I saw them last month at Margate.

Will it go over Insulfrogs!!!

Would be handy to have pick ups everywhere on the models!

Looks Lovely though.

re the APT, if you can stand the awful lagginess of the Hornby site, a single power cars is listed there and the price implies that it is powered.  The price diference 5/7 suggests 2 power cars with the latter, but as others have pointed out it doesn't quite work out for building a complete set.  No doubt things will become clearer in the near future. 

I've been predicting a standard 2-6-0 78xxx for som etime now, but I got the box colour completely wrong.

• RMweb Gold

I've just had a look at Hornby's website. The Commemorative 0-4-0 tinplate locos are listed at £524.99 each. REALLY?????

I might (just) believe it for the set of four....

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, tgk300 said:

Are opinions differing from your own not allowed? Must all opinions agree with yours or else they are worthy of a warning? Is this one of those forums dictated by mods with their own ideology and anything else is totally supressed? Seems that way to me. 

A wise man knows when to recognise a warning and keep his counsel.

Your original post was full of "this doesn't appeal to me" short-sightedness.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

43 minutes ago, tgk300 said:

Well, who ever has the job within Hornby that gets to decide on what to release has not done a good job and needs sacking. Some of the stuff is alright, most of it is random "Sugar Honey Ice Tea" that quite frankly knowone wants. There is no new GWR Steam Loco's apart from one Star Class, the Class 20 looks like something you would get for free in a magazine from Lidl and then they are doing stupid things like the Stephensons Rocket Train Pack. I mean, where are the Class 68's, GWR IET's, Castle Set HST's, TPE and Caledonian Mk5's, GA 755's and 745's, Class 70's, full detail Class 20's, Manor Class, a decent GWR Panier tank and also a 3 car SWR Class 159. There are two good models in this years January announcments, and those are the GBRF Class 50's and the GBRF 47's, the rest is junk. If this is the standard are the class of model that Hornby are putting out, no wonder the company is basically bankrupt. They are appealing to the wrong people, old LMS and LNER steam is fine if you like that stuff, but don't forget the superior GWR stuff and of course modern image stuff that Hornby's future customer base are growing up with. Eventually Hornby need to realise that the kids of today don't give a toss about LMS coaches and their numbers, a stupid amount of old wagons and Stephensons Rocket. What they want is modern Sprinter units, pacers, aventras, CAF 195's. 

I am sorry if I come across angry, but I am. 

This did make me LOL; "The Class 20 looks like something you would get for free in a magazine from Lidl"   

Your right on this one!! Still laughing...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Not half as angry as I am at reading rubbish like that; believe me.

Think yourself fortunate that you are only on a final written warning for your forum conduct rather than being sacked yourself.

Ah! Come along Mr. Mod!

I'm only here for Teddy being thrown out of the pram! 

"He's in the olympics, y'know...."

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, tgk300 said:

I mean, where are the Class 68's, GWR IET's, Castle Set HST's, TPE and Caledonian Mk5's, GA 755's and 745's, Class 70's, full detail Class 20's, Manor Class, a decent GWR Panier tank and also a 3 car SWR Class 159.

Are you of this planet?

68 - Dapol.

GWR IETs already done - maybe could do with another run sometime.

Castle HSTs - in the 2019 range IIRC - still awaiting power door Mk3s

TPE and Caley Mk5s - on their way from Accurascale

745/755 - the prototype only came out last year FFS.

70 - Bachmann

20s - Bachmann are slowly getting there with the 20/3s

Manor and Pannier - Bachmann

159 - due very shortly from Bachmann

Angry?

Not me, more PMSL...………..

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 5
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, newbryford said:

Are you of this planet?

68 - Dapol.

GWR IETs already doen - maybe could do with anpther run sometime.

Castle HSTs - in the 2019 range IIRC - still awaiting power door Mk3s

TPE and Caley Mk5s - on their way from Accurascale

745/755 - the prototype only came out last year FFS.

70 - Bachmann

20s - Bachmann are slowly getting there with the 20/3s

Manor and Pannier - Bachamann

159 - due very shortly from Bachmann

Angry?

Not me, more PMSL...………..

Manor - Bachmann, last produced at least ten years ago and the wheels will be falling off those any day.....:jester:

Hopefully the guys now running Hornby do know what they are at on the modelling front, unlike some in the recent past!

As always, there is a mixture in the 2020 range.

I was pleases to see the standard 78xxx locos, and the A2s although the latter not for my layout. The Ws are brave, but the P2 may have sold well and encouraged this. The RBs and the Coronation coaches will be useful, although the BR livery will (next year?) sell better? 

It does seem to me that Hornby are still weak in the wagon department?

I had hoped for an ex GWR Restaurant car, hopefully next year?

This lot will not put too much strain on my wallet, so now we wait to see what Bachmann come up with!

Cheers

Paul 

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, tgk300 said:

As a non-mod person, I'd say your opinion is fully allowed, and quite rightly so. The problem, as I see it, is the forceful manner in which it is wrapped. Stop for a moment, have a cuppa, and think how you would have done it, if you were the opposite side of the keyboard.

The final arbiter is your wallet, pure & simple. Don't want it? Don't buy it. There are a whole host of things this year that I certainly won't buy, but its still 'my' wallet. Don't take umbrage with Hornby, because they'll 'eff off' and make something where they have a warmer market. Don't push, lead.

No, I'm not a moderator here. Would want me as a moderator? You must be mad; barking mad. 

Your post is a ray of sunshine to me. There must be at least 30 minutes of jokes, quips type material for my observations....

By the way. It's Aldi, not Lidl.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Dunsignalling

£525 is "over-the-market", in that you can probably find a tatty original clockwork one for £100-150 (less if you look carefully), and buy an ETS mechanism to fit it for c£150.

But, stripping, repainting, and fitting the mechanism are all tasks that some people don't find within their skills.

You can certainly buy a "better" modern tinplate loco for the same money, one that is a coarse-scale model of a prototype, rather than a toy, so whether they sell well will depend upon whether the members of the HRCA deem them to be "real Hornby" (which usually means "pre-1963") or not. Jamie thinks they won't; I think that they will admit them on sentimental/centenary grounds.

then, of course, a few will go to "modern Hornby" collectors, as opposed to "real Hornby" collectors.

Kevin

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

I've just had a look at Hornby's website. The Commemorative 0-4-0 tinplate locos are listed at £524.99 each. REALLY?????

I might (just) believe it for the set of four....

John

Comes from only making 400 in total - got to make that tooling cost back somehow...

Evidently Hornby is not optimistic about their appeal.

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Manor - Bachmann, last produced at least ten years ago and the wheels will be falling off those any day.....:jester:

It's  a G*R kettle - they're either 4-6-0s or panniers...………………...

And a

:jester:

before that upsets anyone.

Edited by newbryford
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

27 minutes ago, classy52 said:

I have read on the Class 50 threads over time that the tooling could be better and the experts critiquing it said something about the cab ends but honestly don't have the exact details but as for the Class 56 those sunken roof fan vents are a dead giveaway and quite off putting.

Yes the Hornby Class 91 is basic but we have Cavalex bringing out a new tooled version incl. the accompanying MK4's thus don't see the point in Hornby doing the same and for me IMO seems to be unnecessary duplication which should be avoided in the model railway market but yes we all have the freedom to choose when the time comes and there will be a winner & a loser when both are released.

I have seen some comments about the Class 50 cab windows, cant say they bother me too much and if its just minor things with the Class 56 roof vents then I'm sure extreme etches could sort that. I'd be surprised if there was a benefit to Hornby in going for a full retool to correct those things and I would have thought it better to spend the effort on other prototypes where bigger gains could be made without duplication

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

Whilst indeed some Oxford items have been moved into the Hornby range (as has already been the case in the past) , I am led to believe that this is in no way a merger.

The sliding door MK3s have the Oxford Rail Chassis Graham, so you may be right.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, newbryford said:

It's  a G*R kettle - they're either 4-6-0s or panniers...………………...

And a

:jester:

before that upsets anyone.

Oooh! You've upset me now.... Where's my teddy?

What about number 36?

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, scoobyra said:

The sliding door MK3s have the Oxford Rail Chassis Graham, so you may be right.

No, they are completely new tooling, and dont have the Mk3 chassis. Was confirmed by Paul Isles on this very forum last week. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, tgk300 said:

"Angry" isn't quite the word I'd have used to describe what you're coming across as. :D

There's only one thing in the "normal" releases (ie, not those specifically tied to the anniversary) that might have any interest for me, but that's fine. I don't expect every manufacturer to do something for me every year. And I've just shelled out on a Bachmann crane so I'd struggle to justify a lot of expenditure on more new releases, anyway.

Having said that, I do quite fancy a Rocket.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Dunsignalling

£525 is "over-the-market", in that you can probably find a tatty original clockwork one for £100-150 (less if you look carefully), and buy an ETS mechanism to fit it for c£150.

But, stripping, repainting, and fitting the mechanism are all tasks that some people don't find within their skills.

You can certainly buy a "better" modern tinplate loco for the same money, one that is a coarse-scale model of a prototype, rather than a toy, so whether they sell well will depend upon whether the members of the HRCA deem them to be "real Hornby" (which usually means "pre-1963") or not. Jamie thinks they won't; I think that they will admit them on sentimental/centenary grounds.

then, of course, a few will go to "modern Hornby" collectors, as opposed to "real Hornby" collectors.

Kevin

For that money you can get an O gauge loco from Dapol that's a decent model of something real, four or five wagons to keep it amused and enough Peco Setrack to build a modest shunting plank!!!!

John

• Like 3
  • Agree 2