AY Mod

Hornby 2020 range announcements

I bought a catalogue a couple of years ago, and looked through it precisely once. The Hornby Dublo Book Of Trains - anyone else remember that? - it wasn't. Hornby products are often just what I want, but the catalogue, at that price, is derisory. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I buy them every year because I collect them . I had every original one since 1970 and went back to acquire the ones that hadn’t survived my grubby mits as a kid , so I’ve now got them back to 1965 (as Tri-ang Railways) .  I thought this years edition was not bad , but really the previous few years , probably the last 15 in fact (apart when they missed one 2016?)  Have all looked pretty much the same . They could have done something a bit better for this year to capitalise on the nostalgia market .  Overall I get the impression that the catalogue is something to be put up with . They’ve learned the collector wants one every year but their hearts not in it , just update the previous years , use a few standard photos they have on hand .  A bit of lazy marketing there I think. 

To be honest the Bachmann one is pretty uninspiring too .  Remember the great Hornby catalogues of the 70s or the 1980 one “Welcome to our world” , ironically introducing the new APT. Or even  the first couple of Mainline Catalogues . These were inspiring . 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Is it me or dose it Look like 6212 Duchess of Kent has the wrong smoke box door fitted for most of it’s LMS life.

Edited by farren

Is the rumour I read in Facebook about there being a reference to a TPE 802 in one of the lists in the catalogue true or a load of rubbish? Just surprised it's not mentioned here but the person who mentioned it to me had heard not seen by the sounds of it.

Edited by TomScrut

23 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Is the rumour I read in Facebook about there being a reference to a TPE 802 in one of the lists in the catalogue true or a load of rubbish? Just surprised it's not mentioned here but the person who mentioned it to me had heard not seen by the sounds of it.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/150670-Hornby-2020-catalogue-revelations/

• Thanks 1

Still no ex LMS  Suburban BR Maroon Lined Livery Coaches announced, many must want these surely,

Hornby please take note, just surprised as they would sell well, but they keep releasing the plain

what ever shade of red they use,  get these made so I can get rid of my Dapol ex Airfix ones.

Edited by paul 27
  • Agree 1

Just browsing through the new 2020 catalogue and have just noticed that R3709 LMS crimson 6201 Princess Elizabeth is not even listed for release.

An omission on Hornby's part I wonder ?

The special edition pack with 46201 in early BR black livery however does looks splendid together with the two Stanier coaches.

On 12/01/2020 at 17:20, truffy said:

No. But I may be the only one who finds it strange to pay so much for a catalogue which, after all, is a marketing tool to promote those items. 

I think they are useful if like me you tend to buy used. For example, the combined Marklin-Trix catalogue is around 780 pages. All that info, including parts pdf. going back 10+ years is on their website which is indeed excellent, however, it's really hard to find older things without part numbers. The search fuction is also only available in German.

The Bachmann and Hornby websites are extremely ameuterish by comparison.

Edited by maico
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

The special edition pack with 46201 in early BR black livery however does looks splendid together with the two Stanier coaches.

I agree, however is this pack using the old tooling for the Princess Royal? From the image it looks that way, but then the new ones aren't even out yet.

Henry

22 hours ago, Legend said:

To be honest the Bachmann one is pretty uninspiring too .  Remember the great Hornby catalogues of the 70s or the 1980 one “Welcome to our world” , ironically introducing the new APT. Or even  the first couple of Mainline Catalogues . These were inspiring . 

I found the later catalogues just to be a list of stuff to buy.

The 1980 catalogue really made you want to buy the stuff.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Henry 84F said:

I agree, however is this pack using the old tooling for the Princess Royal? From the image it looks that way, but then the new ones aren't even out yet.

Henry

Definitely new tooling from the pictures in the catalogue I would say.

• Thanks 1

I got this Catalogue mainly as it’s 100 years and a good price with Hornby magazine. The last I got was the 50th edition really just to collect. I thought there was a lot in this years edition though and it made it easy to look at the Catalogue numbers for ordering the items I really would like to get.

DB red 60100, GBRF 50049, The HST NMT power cars and then several coaches for starters. Interestingly none of the new tooling items but I’m delighted by the chosen relivery options this year.

There is more I would like depending how business is this year and of course the items from

other sources that need funded. 

Again I think plenty of choice from Hornby that should suit a wide range of modellers, eras and interests so I hope is a successful year again for them.

cheers

Mark

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Just browsing through the new 2020 catalogue and have just noticed that R3709 LMS crimson 6201 Princess Elizabeth is not even listed for release.

An omission on Hornby's part I wonder ?

It may just be that Hornby has sold out to pre-orders. When the catalogue was finalised last year, if this model was still expected in 2019 they might not have wanted to include something that was no longer available.

Bachmann has done the same in the past.

Edited by brushman47544

Could do with some help on the blue/grey and executive releases of the Mk1 RBRs.....not knowing the diagrams which Hornby models would fit with typical Euston-Wolverhampton or Euston - Glasgow/Liverpool/Manchester WCML services of these periods?

27 minutes ago, ThaneofFife said:

Could do with some help on the blue/grey and executive releases of the Mk1 RBRs.....not knowing the diagrams which Hornby models would fit with typical Euston-Wolverhampton or Euston - Glasgow/Liverpool/Manchester WCML services of these periods?

Thread about the RBs and RBRs here. Lots of useful information and photos in it.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/150549-mk1-restaurant-buffet-rb/#comments

Jason

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I just thought that I would let everyone know that it appears Hornby will produce the R3903 (43021 & 43132) Power Car set in ScotRail Inter7Cities livery. In one of my previous posts I thought that because the description on the Hornby website mentioned 'A New Era' they were going to produce them in the plain, debranded FGW livery, with the names of the seven cities on the side with the 'A New Era' branding at the side of the drivers cab doors. 

I have reached this conclusion because it appears as though Hattons have updated the description of the power car set on their website. In some respects I would have preferred the plain, debranded FGW livery with the 'A New Era' branding as opposed to another power car set in Inter7Cities livery. The only reason I can think of that another set in the same livery is going to be produced when the first set (43033 & 43183) have only just arrived a few months ago is because 43021 & 43132 in the debranded livery mostly worked with the debranded FGW MK3s and as Hornby haven't announced any as part of the 2020 range, it's likely that most people wouldn't want to model a train that wasn't prototypical.

Hope this helps. 

With reference to the catalogue, which arrived today, and the "Rovex" Princess Set.

In the description, the loco is described as a "Princess Coronation" class, when it is of the "Princess Royal" class.

The Princess Coronation class is the official name for the larger "Duchesses" and "Cities".

In the components of the set section, the term "A4" is also used...

I'm available for proof reading! ;)

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 3
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

It may just be that Hornby has sold out to pre-orders. When the catalogue was finalised last year, if this model was still expected in 2019 they might not have wanted to include something that was no longer available.

Bachmann has done the same in the past.

A plausible and sensible explanation, however this loco is still available to order on the Hornby website and at the majority of approved outlets. 

8 hours ago, paul 27 said:

Still no ex LMS  Suburban BR Maroon Lined Livery Coaches announced, many must want these surely,

Hornby please take note, just surprised as they would sell well, but they keep releasing the plain

what ever shade of red they use,  get these made so I can get rid of my Dapol ex Airfix ones.

1 hour ago, Black 5 Bear said:

A plausible and sensible explanation, however this loco is still available to order on the Hornby website and at the majority of approved outlets. 

Likewise the Gresley and Thompson non corridors would sell in proper lined maroon I think

Edited by MikeParkin65
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Henry 84F said:

Henry

New tooling

I am fancying an Evening Star at some point. I would suppose the consensus it that cost no object the NRM Bachmann one would be the one to go for? It has a bit more copper embellishments than the standard Bachmann (and the gloss finish), but I am thinking the new anniversary Hornby one will be inferior to the Bachmann one as it's just a railroad spec model AFAIK?

Edited by TomScrut

13 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I am fancying an Evening Star at some point. I would suppose the consensus it that cost no object the NRM Bachmann one would be the one to go for? It has a bit more copper embellishments than the standard Bachmann (and the gloss finish), but I am thinking the new anniversary Hornby one will be inferior to the Bachmann one as it's just a railroad spec model AFAIK?

Correct. The Bachmann model even though its is many years old is still much better than the Hornby one. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

A W1 in original battleship grey for me, please, Hornby. And much though I love the Coronation Scot coaching announcement... still no Stanier CK?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

I just thought that I would let everyone know that it appears Hornby will produce the R3903 (43021 & 43132) Power Car set in ScotRail Inter7Cities livery. In one of my previous posts I thought that because the description on the Hornby website mentioned 'A New Era' they were going to produce them in the plain, debranded FGW livery, with the names of the seven cities on the side with the 'A New Era' branding at the side of the drivers cab doors. 

I have reached this conclusion because it appears as though Hattons have updated the description of the power car set on their website. In some respects I would have preferred the plain, debranded FGW livery with the 'A New Era' branding as opposed to another power car set in Inter7Cities livery. The only reason I can think of that another set in the same livery is going to be produced when the first set (43033 & 43183) have only just arrived a few months ago is because 43021 & 43132 in the debranded livery mostly worked with the debranded FGW MK3s and as Hornby haven't announced any as part of the 2020 range, it's likely that most people wouldn't want to model a train that wasn't prototypical.

Hope this helps. 

Yes this is a puzzler . The Catalogue makes reference to "A New Era" yet the Power Cars are in full blown Inter7City livery . I really do wonder if someone meant to model it in the old GWR livery with "A New Era"  then used the wrong illustration, why else would they refer to it?  It is odd they are producing a second run of Inter7City powercars when the first lot haven't sold out.  But on the other hand there would be no matching coaches to go with A New Era powercars

Confused.com

• Agree 1