Hornby 2020 range announcements

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold

Gosh, its easier to say whats missing from that list, than whats there...

No new tooling of post-privatisation modern image...

However I think theyve soaked up nearly all remaining gaps of 2019’s railway scene that uses BR era technology.. 

nice set of HSTs there, Network Rail, IC, GWR, GBRF 47’s, 60’s is a good idea... but no Pacer ?

The Scottish Azuma I think was premature... I am quandry now do I buy the one yet to come out, or this one... had the first been released i’d have been bemoaning buying needing to buy a second.

They have to be congratulated staying away from tooling duplication (ok 91 was an obvious one and I think many of us suspected that for a long time)...

but Originality in decisions..

Nice to see headcode 31’s ! were getting there...

APT ! Who would have thought that.

heading back in time Morden Dairies Ruston !!! Big thumbs up.

Steam is a bit of a feast, 78xxx was a very good choice, 46256, Thompsons, Rocket, W1... the list is pretty extensive !!!

A very ambitious list of stuff

DC Bluetooth App control i’m intrigued by... this could be the start of something big..

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Legend said:

Haven’t seen Mk4s to complement the 91s , so maybe Cavalex still ok if producing whole train . That’s the only downside I see in this so far

Will have to wait and see what Cavelex decide, but the real danger is that the loss of Class 91 sales puts the entire project in jeopardy.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Legend said:

Haven’t seen Mk4s to complement the 91s , so maybe Cavalex still ok if producing whole train . That’s the only downside I see in this so far , in that a relatively small player seems to be getting trampled on.  But really this is fantastic stuff from Hornby

if the Hornby 91 kills the Cavalex 91, it also likely kills a high spec N Gauge version. Since N Gauge doesn't exist in Hornby's world, I don't suppose they even considered that. 

Tom.  

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

DC Bluetooth App control i’m intrigued by... this could be the start of something big..

Not revolutionary, though, we've been using such a system (Blue Railways) for almost two years.

John

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, mdvle said:

Will have to wait and see what Cavelex decide, but the real danger is that the loss of Class 91 sales puts the entire project in jeopardy.

Focus on the coaches & DVT...and paint matching.

The door has been left open by Hornby there... for sure Hornbys taken the class 91 market, which Ive always wondered was there (long term enough) demand enough for a new 91 anyway...

But I think a few of us will be buying Hornby 91’s.. left looking at our 1980’s era mk4’s.

Well my prediction that they'd stay away from large, big-ticket items in favour of smaller, more widespread locomotives and rolling stock proved to be quite far off the mark. The W1 is an inspired choice and will fly off shelves, I'm sure, but the Thompson Pacifics, at nearly £200 a pop?? Very risky imo. The Standard 2MT isn't personally useful but I'm sure it will be for lots of modellers. Another inspired choice.

APT...how many people actually have a layout big enough to run one? I don't even have a room in my house that's long enough for a full set! It'll sell but I can see the extra coaches ending up in the bargain bin, or they'll produce so few of them that they become ridiculously expensive collector's items.

Not sure what they are thinking with the Class 91. Especially as there is no sign of Mk4s anywhere in this announcement. Very strange.

I'm not entirely sure Hornby have taken notice of the trend towards smaller layouts. 2MT aside, all of today's new tooling is primarily aimed at collectors and/or modellers of the ECML and WCML. How many layouts can actually justify an APT or an original condition W1? I don't think I've ever seen a realistic modern-day ECML layout, ever.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Not revolutionary, though, we've been using such a system (Blue Railways) for almost two years.

John

It depends on price / features.

I looked at Bluerail..shrugged my shoulders.. Ive 000’s of locos and such a solution wouldn't fly at that price.

i’m also DC, not DCC.

This looks interesting in that it looks simple..and potentially extensible... i’m need to read the details.. but at under £30 this is interesting...

If they open the system, or at least are open to community feedback, they could go down a really interesting path here.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, adb968008 said:

Focus on the coaches & DVT...and paint matching.

Common wisdom is that most of the money is in the sale of locos though, not rolling stock.

As for paint matching, that is likely more in Hornby's court to get the colours on the 91 right in the first place.

Looking forward to see the W1 in both forms although I'll probably just get the rebuilt version.

Just noticed from looking at the pictures, it looks like Hornby are doing away with tension locks for Rocket. They look like proper 3 link couplings (or representations of them).

• RMweb Gold

Well what can be said Hornby have definitely come out fighting this year. I really hope that it all sells. For myself nothing I need........

BUT

Ordering 2MT, A2/2, A2/3 hmm those Stanier Coaches look good but will need a streamliner Coronation to go with. Oh dear this is a very poor year!

Sorry kids your going to have to go to the poor house. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

2 minutes ago, nathan70000 said:

Not sure what they are thinking with the Class 91. Especially as there is no sign of Mk4s anywhere in this announcement. Very strange.

But everything to make a 91/HST hybrid.

The 91 announcement makes me wonder just how long they work on these things before announcing something? Manufacturers seem to hold their cards close to their chest to stop others poaching their products (like Hornby appear to have done here, but have they?

The 91 may have been well underway when Cavalex announced theirs.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

3 minutes ago, nathan70000 said:

APT...how many people actually have a layout big enough to run one? I don't even have a room in my house that's long enough for a full set! It'll sell but I can see the extra coaches ending up in the bargain bin, or they'll produce so few of them that they become ridiculously expensive collector's items.

I'm not entirely sure Hornby have taken notice of the trend towards smaller layouts. 2MT aside, all of today's new tooling is primarily aimed at collectors and/or modellers of the ECML and WCML. How many layouts can actually justify an APT or an original condition W1? I don't think I've ever seen a realistic modern-day ECML layout, ever.

There are a lot of collectors, particularly of iconic and/or unique items, of which the APT definitely fits.  And a lot of modellers who will also buy an iconic/unique item to either run under Rule 1, or to have "just in case" they ever get a large layout or visit a large layout.  So while it is a large tooling investment, it is a reasonably safe investment that should easily turn a profit for Hornby.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I have waited a whole year from buying Terriers..

ive a lot of the older ones, and I like them.

Buying 1 would be like buying a chicken in a turkey farm.

Selling the lot would leave an emotional gap.

A year in Waiting for Rails, its still not here, and more expensive, Hornbys now got a half dozen LBSC ones released /  proposed.. so I guess my upgrade path is becoming clear.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Very pleasantly surprised to see the three big LNER locos - I never thought I'd see the Thompson Pacifics RTR, in particular!

I wonder whether there's any information as to whether the green Brush 2 will have yellow panels, or not?

Perhaps whilst in anniversary mode it would have been nice to have done D5572, which was a long term Triang catalogue item in the '60s.

Edited by 31A
  • Agree 4

11 minutes ago, 60800 said:

Only just noticed the lack of Modern Mk4's. How odd.

Cheers,

Good Morning,

Could not agree with this, if your going to do the 91 surly you need the stock to go with it. 

If this move is purely to compete with Cavalex then do it properly and retool the lot. After all Cavalex have gone for that option with plenty of livery choice. Even a properly tooled coach B. 

I hope Cavalex don't pull out as what we have seen from them so far is very promising, even if they continue with the coaches over the 91 that would be better than a complete cancellation.

Benjamin

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, mdvle said:

Common wisdom is that most of the money is in the sale of locos though, not rolling stock.

As for paint matching, that is likely more in Hornby's court to get the colours on the 91 right in the first place.

But is the wisdom common in the circumstances.

7 minutes ago, mdvle said:

Being an anniversary year, and much of it being done as collectible items, it will be bought by collectors.

It is an extremely good move by Hornby, essentially easy money from existing assets (something they need), and if anything Hornby should be congratulated for showing some restraint as it could just as easily gone overboard with too much collectible stuff that would have introduced the danger of stuff not selling.

I agree with the first sentence and totally understandable why Hornby have issued those items.

A Good move from Hornby is it , time will tell ? Is there really that much money in old style wagons and other tat ? Hornby know there sales figures we dont.