AY Mod

Hornby 2020 range announcements

1 minute ago, truffy said:

I don't disagree with pretty much everything you state there, although I'm not sure how/if the events in Hubei province directly impact the health of workers hundreds of kilometres away in Guangdong province, any more than an outbreak in Greece might effect people (including Greeks) living in Belgium. 

But I do draw the line at non-experts giving out health advice.

Chinese New Year - many people in China don't come from where they work and the biggest concern in China is the fact that this virus as hit right at New Year when everyone disperses.  So whilst they are containing it around a few cities there is a wider risk it will spread further if people have returned home to other provinces,  Then there are the people who will have returned to China from other countries and then go back abroad again and vice versa with non nationals who may have used CNY to return to their own countries whilst China is shutdown for CNY.

Quite, Chinese new years is the largest bulk migration on the planet.

it was said the reason the 1918 flu was so deadly wasnt just down to the strain of the virus, but that sick people needed to be mobile following WW1, instead of at home in bed... and hence spread the virus.

Thats why the timing of the virus and New Years combination is viewed as such a threat, especially when so many travel back home from cities to remote villages, where healthcare and sanitation are much poorer and act as breeding grounds, ready to export it back to cities after the holidays.

I would imagine using money is an excellant way short term way to spread the virus.. sneeze, wipe your nose put the tissue in your pocket, pull out a coin and pay a guy for a newspaper virus only lives on hardsurfaces a few minutes, but how long did that take.... now the newspaper guy has it on his hands, wipes his brow.. And then everytime he sells a newspaper...

Imagine he’s doing that at a train station and its successfully exported around the country..then theres the coffee, baker, ticket seller etc etc....

on the bright side, an extended Chinese newyears, before everyone migrates back to cities will allow for peak of those infected to materialise and be able to see where / how bad its localised effects are.. if there is negligable effect than the virus will probably be left to run its course around the world.

I will add an anecdote, I was in Hong Kong in 2003 during sars... everyone had a mask, everyone was constantly wiping surfaces down and wearing gloves... but everyone still kept pushing/shoving / buzzing around you at any line/queue you had to wait for.. but if you sneezed... everyone scattered!

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I will add an anecdote, I was in Hong Kong in 2003 during sars... everyone had a mask, everyone was constantly wiping surfaces down and wearing gloves... but everyone still kept pushing/shoving / buzzing around you at any line/queue you had to wait for.. but if you sneezed... everyone scattered!

Well, after all this speculation and arm-waving about travel (restrictions) during CNY, we've at least learnt something: to get to the front of a queue in China, all you need is a good sniff of powdered pepper. :jester:

• Funny 1

41 minutes ago, truffy said:

Well, after all this speculation and arm-waving about travel (restrictions) during CNY, we've at least learnt something: to get to the front of a queue in China, all you need is a good sniff of powdered pepper. https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/emoticons/default_jester.gif

Only problem is the person waiting to serve you will have scattered too.

I suffer allergies, and sneeze very loud, I was once in City Super in Kowloon, a big international supermarket and took a wander down the washing powder aisle.. A few sneezes later the aisle was empty, the staff stopped stocking the shelves and a guy appeared from nowhere and pointed a thermometer gun at me.

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 2