Hornby 2020 range announcements

AY Mod

1 minute ago, dibber25 said:

While working on some Model Rail proofs recently, I inserted an apostrophe into Hatton's. Our Sub-Editor made me remove it and then produced an official e-mail in which we were told that the apostrophe has been dropped from the Hattons name. (CJL)

There's nothing worse than a sub-editor* with an official style guide....

*I refuse to Capitalise the position, it just leads to swollen heads.

• Funny 3

Bring this back onto topic I was disappointed that Hornby did do a SEC&R R1 similar to the old Wren/Hornby Dublo one. It was way ahead of its time being the first injection molded Hornby Dublo loco (i believe) and they must have sold tens of thousands over the year. It would have fitted in well with the celebrating of 100 of manufacture?  

Not much from Hornby for the Southern modeler.... 

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Martin.M said:

Bring this back onto topic I was disappointed that Hornby did do a SEC&R R1 similar to the old Wren/Hornby Dublo one. It was way ahead of its time being the first injection molded Hornby Dublo loco (i believe) and they must have sold tens of thousands over the year. It would have fitted in well with the celebrating of 100 of manufacture?  

To be fair, us Southern / BR(S) modellers have been very well served in recent years, both by Hornby and other manufacturers.  Probably about time we fared slightly less well (recovery time for the wallet etc...), it's just a shame (and maybe slightly surprising given the locational bias some suggest Hornby has) that it has coincided with the anniversary year...

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Martin.M said:

I thought that they might have announced one as well. 

I think it was also the first 2 rail Hornby Dublo model.

Jason

Just now, eldomtom2 said:

How much would another black 0-6-0 sell? For a new tooling to be viable in the centenary range, it clearly either had to sell at a high price or be able to sell in non-centenary form...

They were also green and can even have Bulleid Sunshine lettering.

Hornby don't have any SR shunting locomotives in their range. It's an open goal for someone.

Jason

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

So, it's Hatton. If inside the property, is it Hatless? Or, would that be hat-less? The French side of the family would be Beret, but without the hat, bereft. I used to drive a Citroen 2CV, which meant I had to apply twice to get the car. The car came with flat tyres, so I had to Jacque the car up, to change the weals.

I'm off to do some thatching over the weekend, but I'll need to reed the instructions. 

So, as I said to the  drunken German butcher:- "You look the wurst for wear".

Tootle pip!

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

32 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

They were also green and can even have Bulleid Sunshine lettering.

Hornby don't have any SR shunting locomotives in their range. It's an open goal for someone.

The blue Class 08 3817 was an SR loco !!

(sorry !)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Ooooh! Was it? Fits right in with most of my BR(S) stuff. One to consider in the future, although it is TTS....

Jason

It was based at Ashford Chart Leacon in the 1970s and worked at Dover; Mentioned earlier in this topic although, to be fair, quite a few pages back !

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

So, it's Hatton. If inside the property, is it Hatless? Or, would that be hat-less? The French side of the family would be Beret, but without the hat, bereft. I used to drive a Citroen 2CV, which meant I had to apply twice to get the car. The car came with flat tyres, so I had to Jacque the car up, to change the weals.

I'm off to do some thatching over the weekend, but I'll need to reed the instructions. 

So, as I said to the  drunken German butcher:- "You look the wurst for wear".

Tootle pip!

Mange Tout, Rodney. Mange Tout....

Jason

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

On 31/01/2020 at 11:06, The Johnster said:

Depends what you want it to mean.  'Rant over for now' conveys the meaning that the ranter had always planned the rant to be incomplete and want the listener(s)/reader(s) to be aware of this and that there is definitely a further 'instalment' to come.  The rant is definitely not over. 'Rant over, for now' suggests that the ranter has not planned a further instalment but wishes to convey to the rantee(s) that he/she, the ranter that is, may possibly have further views to rant about on the subject in the future, but is not willing to commit him/herself completely to this concept.  The rant is possibly over, pending further consideration of the matter

Both presentations, with or without comma, are non sequiteurs of course; a rant that is over must by definition be over because that's what the word 'over' in this context means;  'for now' does not make sense and the word 'over' should not have been used in this context, as the rant is definitely or possibly to continue.  The comma simply enables the rantee to distinguish between the definiteness or probability of the ranters intentions and prevents as sort of Shroedinger's Rant situation arising.

Rant um, possibly, over.  For now...

Bachmann, hurry along the 94XX before he loses his last marble! :D

(I do rather like the term “rantee”.)

• Like 4

22 hours ago, dibber25 said:

While working on some Model Rail proofs recently, I inserted an apostrophe into Hatton's. Our Sub-Editor made me remove it and then produced an official e-mail in which we were told that the apostrophe has been dropped from the Hattons name. (CJL)

How silly can people get? The boss is now Christine Hattons, is she?

Thank you to Hatton’s for telling us how to stick axleboxes back in. Perhaps in return, we should offer a guide to sticking apostrophes back in?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

On 30/01/2020 at 15:29, Steamport Southport said:

You speak for yourself. I'm sure we have discussed them previously in the "other" thread which is now locked....  ;) 

Eastleigh_Works_geograph-2383942-by-Ben-

Wiki Ben Brooksbank

Jason

Nice. I’d like a model of one of those. I hope Hatton’s doesn’t do it, though. The style guide would insist on the horns being omitted.

4 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

The problem is apostrophes aren't very internet search engine friendly.

Nor URL-friendly. The domain is hattons.co.uk, not hatton's.co.uk. I hazard a guess that some poor souls get confused by this.

5 hours ago, No Decorum said:

How silly can people get? The boss is now Christine Hattons, is she?

Thank you to Hatton’s for telling us how to stick axleboxes back in. Perhaps in return, we should offer a guide to sticking apostrophes back in?

When the supermarket chain Morrisons dropped the apostrophe from their name, their justification (apart from simply making it easier for people) was that once it was no longer run solely by its founder, William Morrison, it was no longer Morrison's supermarket but was, instead, a supermarket named after all the members of the Morrison family - that is, the Morrisons. In the same way, Hattons is no longer Norman Hatton's model shop, it's a shop named after the three Hattons who have run it.

• Agree 2