Hornby 2020 range announcements

AY Mod

On 22/05/2020 at 12:55, mow said:

looks like they have got rid of the overly yellow lower grey they used to apply to some coaches.   that executive grey looks spot on to me in the artwork. pity Hornby dont offer dcc fitted versions.

Don't remember these comedy train packs announced previously? 

Train Pack 1- For those wanting to model 1960s East Anglia and 1950s South Wales at the same time, featuring rolling stock from the 1920's, 30's, 50's and 70's .https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/train-pack-1.html

spacer.png

Train Pack 2 - For those looking to model a loco-swap on a East Coast Main Line to Southern Region midland suburban train featuring that all important - inaccessible - dining car.

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/coming-soon/train-pack-2.html

spacer.png

Train Pack 3 - For Dr Who aficionados, who want to travel through time on a pre-war LMS suburban, a 1950s Southern Region push-pull, hauled by a 1970s Class  71.

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/train-pack-3.html

pack3.jpg

CoY

• Funny 5

16 minutes ago, County of Yorkshire said:

Don't remember these comedy train packs announced previously?

I remember there was some discussion at the time about them being a complete clash of everything other than being UK based OO gauge model trains. But I aren't sure the analysis was as good as yours.

I think they sent somebody down the warehouse to see what was loitering.

I am in two minds about these.

1. "Well, it's just for people who are having a lark about and aren't that interested other than play value, so it's a good idea"

2. "They are several hundreds of pounds each, not really larking about anymore are we? Even if it's rule 1 with anything goes then I'd expect when spending that amount one would be picking and choosing their stuff"

On those grounds, pack 1 is definitely the most sensible being probably around the £200 mark. 

Edited by TomScrut

39 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I remember there was some discussion at the time about them being a complete clash of everything other than being UK based OO gauge model trains. But I aren't sure the analysis was as good as yours.

I think they sent somebody down the warehouse to see what was loitering.

I am in two minds about these.

1. "Well, it's just for people who are having a lark about and aren't that interested other than play value, so it's a good idea"

2. "They are several hundreds of pounds each, not really larking about anymore are we? Even if it's rule 1 with anything goes then I'd expect when spending that amount one would be picking and choosing their stuff"

On those grounds, pack 1 is definitely the most sensible being probably around the £200 mark. 

A V tanker in the East Anglia/South Wales set really ??? What next, a Class 66 with some nice coaches from the Rocket set lol.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Funny 1

3 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

A V tanker in the East Anglia/South Wales set really ??? What next, a Class 66 with some nice coaches from the Rocket set lol.

Exactly it makes no sense to us but to people non the wiser or non the carer then it will be fine. But how much will those types be spending?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Exactly it makes no sense to us but to people non the wiser or non the carer then it will be fine. But how much will those types be spending?

If they haven't bought Set 1 already they won't be spending anything as the Hornby website lists it as out of stock.

14 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

If they haven't bought Set 1 already they won't be spending anything as the Hornby website lists it as out of stock.

Yeah I noticed that. But as I said in my first post on it its the one that makes most sense in terms of the cost.

Given what they look like there might not have been many either, I think it's a way of shifting stock not keeping the factory busy.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Must be old stock bundled together . There’s obviously no other link . Suspect it’s stuff in their distribution centre that needs shifted . Cash is king at the moment you don’t want it sitting on shelves . I note that Bachmann seem to be getting rid of stock as there’s a big sale in Rails of Sheffield at the moment that seems to be primarily Bachmann 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Legend said:

Must be old stock bundled together . There’s obviously no other link . Suspect it’s stuff in their distribution centre that needs shifted . Cash is king at the moment you don’t want it sitting on shelves . I note that Bachmann seem to be getting rid of stock as there’s a big sale in Rails of Sheffield at the moment that seems to be primarily Bachmann 

Yes, a lot of interesting offers on at the moment. I have picked up a lot of Hornby ex-LMS compartment stock this weekend at not much over 50% of RRP. And various Bachmann Mk1 stock at 40% below RRP.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Legend said:

Absolutely, though if you have enough mates with sufficiently varied tastes, you can split them up between you, so long as the price I right, of course.....

On the subject of real bargains, though, I've just received a Lyme Regis Branch train pack from Kernow Models for almost £100 off rrp and little more than that of a Radial on its own. That specific version of 30583, which I particularly wanted, only comes in the Train Pack and the coaches effectively come almost free.

I'm hoping that Hornby will eventually do 30584 in plain black with British Railways on the tanks. I would have already produced it for myself, but the prototype lettering was completely non-standard and (unless anybody knows otherwise) there are no suitable transfers available. I'm also going to backdate my 30582 to early crest as the real thing only ran with the later emblem for its last few months in traffic.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3

I expect the train packs will sell well enough to the typical "train set" buyer, the person with a generic loft roundy-roundy or the souped up 6x4 bedroom board who just likes to run trains without bothering too much what trains they are. That's pretty much how Hownby are marketing them: "You've got a train set? Well, here's something to make it a bigger train set!"

In any case, even hobbyists, like us, don't necessarily only model one particular location/era combination all of the time. These are sufficiently cheap, compared to buying the contents individually, that you could buy a pack with the intention that part of it will go on whatever you're working on right now and another part will be useful for a future project. Pack 3 is probably the most useful in this respect: you've got a Class 71 for the blue era southern layout you've been building for the last couple of years, an entire LMS suburban train that can be the basis of that North West London layout you've had at the back of your mind for a while, and a couple of spare green coaches that you can flog off at the club second hand stall!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

Absolutely, though if you have enough mates with varied tastes so you can split them up between you, so long as the price I right, of course.....

On the subject of real bargains, though, I've just received a Lyme Regis Branch train pack from Kernow Models for almost £100 off rrp and little more than that of a Radial on its own. That specific version of 30583, which I particularly wanted, only comes in the Train Pack and the coaches effectively come almost free.

I'm hoping that Hornby will eventually do 30584 in plain black with British Railways on the tanks. I would have already produced it for myself, but the prototype lettering was completely non-standard and (unless anybody knows otherwise) there are no suitable transfers available. I'm also going to backdate my 30582 to early crest as the real thing only ran with the later emblem for its last few months in traffic.

John

I did exactly the same as you John and the early emblem on 30582 is a quick fix. 

Rob. 

20200125_160135-01.jpeg

20191019_201417-01-01.jpeg

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Please excuse me if that has mentioned elsewhere, but what happened with the GWR B set coaches? On Hattons: Withdrawn from 2020 range. Rails just gives an error 404, yet my pre-order for them is still active. Any info on what happened these or if there any other products that have been withdrawn?

I was actually hoping these would get produced as its hard to find both of the previous iterations together. 

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Ribird said:

Please excuse me if that has mentioned elsewhere, but what happened with the GWR B set coaches? On Hattons: Withdrawn from 2020 range. Rails just gives an error 404, yet my pre-order for them is still active. Any info on what happened these or if there any other products that have been withdrawn?

I was actually hoping these would get produced as its hard to find both of the previous iterations together. 

Not listed on Hornby’s website anymore either. 

Got in contact with Hattons today, they said this: "These were announced by Hornby initially at the start of the year but then they decided to withdraw them from production so they are now longer going to be produced." "We have not been provided with the reason that they decided to withdraw the model unfortunately." They do not know of any other products without knowing the product code.

• RMweb Gold

This makes some sense; the old Airfix B set was a good model in it’s day but cannot stand comparison with the 2019 released Collett 57’ non gangwayed coaches.  A competing product within your own range doesn’t make sense, and a 4 coach set makes the marketing dept. happier than a 2 coach one.  

Plenty B sets on ‘Bay, quality and value variable.  

39 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Just seen pics of the fronts of the NMT cars. Looks like the grilles and camera are black, I think it was this thread that there was some discussion about.

The writing on the side being wonky is another matter!

I've sent Hornby an email about it. Others have notified Hornby as well.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

I've sent Hornby an email about it. Others have notified Hornby as well.

Cheers I saw in the thread about the cars, my post was mainly aimed at the points raised in this thread that caused significant debate.

I saw a video on the new Sir Nigel Gresley train pack with a garter blue SNG, R1252M, packaging is very deceiving. The video shows a main range A4 that comes with it. Compared to the box, has a Railroad A4. I understand having the packaging like it is. Just an FYI for everyone.

• Like 1