AY Mod

Hornby 2020 range announcements

I expect the train packs will sell well enough to the typical "train set" buyer, the person with a generic loft roundy-roundy or the souped up 6x4 bedroom board who just likes to run trains without bothering too much what trains they are. That's pretty much how Hownby are marketing them: "You've got a train set? Well, here's something to make it a bigger train set!"

In any case, even hobbyists, like us, don't necessarily only model one particular location/era combination all of the time. These are sufficiently cheap, compared to buying the contents individually, that you could buy a pack with the intention that part of it will go on whatever you're working on right now and another part will be useful for a future project. Pack 3 is probably the most useful in this respect: you've got a Class 71 for the blue era southern layout you've been building for the last couple of years, an entire LMS suburban train that can be the basis of that North West London layout you've had at the back of your mind for a while, and a couple of spare green coaches that you can flog off at the club second hand stall!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

Absolutely, though if you have enough mates with varied tastes so you can split them up between you, so long as the price I right, of course.....

On the subject of real bargains, though, I've just received a Lyme Regis Branch train pack from Kernow Models for almost £100 off rrp and little more than that of a Radial on its own. That specific version of 30583, which I particularly wanted, only comes in the Train Pack and the coaches effectively come almost free.

I'm hoping that Hornby will eventually do 30584 in plain black with British Railways on the tanks. I would have already produced it for myself, but the prototype lettering was completely non-standard and (unless anybody knows otherwise) there are no suitable transfers available. I'm also going to backdate my 30582 to early crest as the real thing only ran with the later emblem for its last few months in traffic.

John

I did exactly the same as you John and the early emblem on 30582 is a quick fix. 

Rob. 

20200125_160135-01.jpeg

20191019_201417-01-01.jpeg

• Like 9

Like others I have waited for these at a good price . got my hands on one this week from Tony's Trains at Rugby . Just a lovely model 

I see the NR ex super GUV is out. Do these ever go anywhere? Can't find a pic of one actually moving just dumped in sidings.

Please excuse me if that has mentioned elsewhere, but what happened with the GWR B set coaches? On Hattons: Withdrawn from 2020 range. Rails just gives an error 404, yet my pre-order for them is still active. Any info on what happened these or if there any other products that have been withdrawn?

I was actually hoping these would get produced as its hard to find both of the previous iterations together. 

7 hours ago, Ribird said:

Please excuse me if that has mentioned elsewhere, but what happened with the GWR B set coaches? On Hattons: Withdrawn from 2020 range. Rails just gives an error 404, yet my pre-order for them is still active. Any info on what happened these or if there any other products that have been withdrawn?

I was actually hoping these would get produced as its hard to find both of the previous iterations together. 

Not listed on Hornby’s website anymore either. 

Got in contact with Hattons today, they said this: "These were announced by Hornby initially at the start of the year but then they decided to withdraw them from production so they are now longer going to be produced." "We have not been provided with the reason that they decided to withdraw the model unfortunately." They do not know of any other products without knowing the product code.

This makes some sense; the old Airfix B set was a good model in it’s day but cannot stand comparison with the 2019 released Collett 57’ non gangwayed coaches.  A competing product within your own range doesn’t make sense, and a 4 coach set makes the marketing dept. happier than a 2 coach one.  

Plenty B sets on ‘Bay, quality and value variable.  

Different markets though.

The B Sets were about £20 each whilst the Colletts are about £50 at full RRP. Discounted to about £40 at some places.

I can't see many in the Railroad market spending £150 plus for a set of 4 coaches.

Jason

• Agree 2

Just seen pics of the fronts of the NMT cars. Looks like the grilles and camera are black, I think it was this thread that there was some discussion about.

The writing on the side being wonky is another matter!

• Agree 2

Just saw a post on Hornby’s Instagram announcing a social media takeover for the 100th anniversary. Interestingly it’s launching at 10am on July 1st with a “special announcement”... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

39 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Just seen pics of the fronts of the NMT cars. Looks like the grilles and camera are black, I think it was this thread that there was some discussion about.

The writing on the side being wonky is another matter!

I've sent Hornby an email about it. Others have notified Hornby as well.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

I've sent Hornby an email about it. Others have notified Hornby as well.

Cheers I saw in the thread about the cars, my post was mainly aimed at the points raised in this thread that caused significant debate.

I saw a video on the new Sir Nigel Gresley train pack with a garter blue SNG, R1252M, packaging is very deceiving. The video shows a main range A4 that comes with it. Compared to the box, has a Railroad A4. I understand having the packaging like it is. Just an FYI for everyone.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ribird said:

main range A4 that comes with it

I was wondering if it was a full fat A4, as it would be a dear set IMO if it wasn't? With good loco and coaches it's not bad value I don't think.

• Agree 1

If I'm reading this correctly, you are saying that the video promoting the SNG train pack shows a full price loco but the box contains a Railroad version.  That would mean that the video is clearly misrepresenting what is on offer, and the company should deal with this asap; misrepresentation in advertising is a serious matter and H aren't so far out of the woods yet that they can easily withstand a hefty fine and the bad publicity.  Don't believe what they tell you, there is such a thing as bad publicity...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Looking at it, it's the version between the Railroad and full fat version going by the photo on the website. They've released a couple of others previously. Mallard was one.

It's not the basic version as it has things like sprung buffers, cab glazing, etc.

But doesn't have the finely detailed valve gear and lamp brackets.

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/lner-sir-nigel-gresley-train-set-centenary-year-limited-edition-1938.html

Compare it to this version.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/60218/hornby_r3201_class_a4_4_6_2_60007_sir_nigel_gresley_in_br_blue_with_early_emblem_the_great_g/stockdetail.aspx

Price is about right. You aren't getting a Super Detailed version, two main range coaches and the rest of the train set for £250 when the loco itself is worth £180 and the coaches £60 each.

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1

I think he's referring to this video of the Hornby R1252M "Sir Nigel Gresley" Train Set?

The box art and images on the website have shown the Hornby Railroad A4, as Jason as mentioned, it's the version that sits between the Railroad spec and main range spec. Except the missing lamp brackets and finer motion gear, it looks really good.

I don't see it as an issue at all.

So I am presuming the starting point is the full fat one with just less parts/labour put into it rather than a RR model with some more things stuck on?

I aren't up on the differences between RR and main range version but for example I presume this has all wheel pickups and decoder in the tender? Whereas the RR one probably doesn't.

16 hours ago, Ribird said:

I saw a video on the new Sir Nigel Gresley train pack with a garter blue SNG, R1252M, packaging is very deceiving. The video shows a main range A4 that comes with it. Compared to the box, has a Railroad A4. I understand having the packaging like it is. Just an FYI for everyone.

8 hours ago, The Johnster said:

If I'm reading this correctly, you are saying that the video promoting the SNG train pack shows a full price loco but the box contains a Railroad version.  That would mean that the video is clearly misrepresenting what is on offer, and the company should deal with this asap; misrepresentation in advertising is a serious matter and H aren't so far out of the woods yet that they can easily withstand a hefty fine and the bad publicity.  Don't believe what they tell you, there is such a thing as bad publicity...

So there is an unidentified video, possibly the one that @MGR Hooper! has found, that might show something, and despite this lack of facts and information, you are accusing Hornby of false advertising? Keep that up and prepare to find yourself in court for deformation and libel. The one facing a hefty fine would be you in this instance, and possibly RMweb. I suggest some facts are gathered before accusing anyone of "misrepresentation in advertising".

It would help is @Ribird would post a link to the video he watched as a start.

• Agree 6

18 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

in court for deformation...

Ah. The curse of autocorrect. ;)

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

53 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Ah. The curse of autocorrect. ;)

If slightly Freudian.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

I think he's referring to this video of the Hornby R1252M "Sir Nigel Gresley" Train Set?

The box art and images on the website have shown the Hornby Railroad A4, as Jason as mentioned, it's the version that sits between the Railroad spec and main range spec. Except the missing lamp brackets and finer motion gear, it looks really good.

I don't see it as an issue at all.

Christ

I thought the guy was going to break out the Kleenex.  Had to stop watching as I was frankly embarrassed

• Funny 5

Completely confused as to whether it’s a main range A4 or not . It certainly looks pretty good with cab doors . I love the box . The artwork is superb  and I can get there would be a pleasure in owning something like that .  I bought the Centenary edition rocket and it’s also a nice thing to own . But it’s now on display  with no real use on the railway so at the end of the day it’s a kind of expensive ornament!  

47 minutes ago, Legend said:

But it’s now on display  with no real use on the railway so at the end of the day it’s a kind of expensive ornament!  

I thought about buying a main range Rocket as there are some still available, and I thought to myself I won't use it so I won't bother. Plenty of other £170 items I would use more.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4