Bachmann Pannier puzzler

JST

I have a 00 Bachmann Pannier which is playing up and I can't find why. The problem is that it runs OK most of the time but sometimes refuses to start moving when told to. I run it with an autocoach on a branch line (Code 100 track) with Lenz ABC units at both ends. It will trundle from end to end quite happily for a while and then refuses to start after an end of line stop. The loco is fitted with a Lenz Silver decoder.

So far I have:-

Cleaned the track (other locos are alright on it)

Cleaned and reset the loco pickups

Cleaned the wheels

Taken the thing apart and checked the smoothness of the gear train and lubrication

Checked the wormgear housing is not binding

Checked the soldered connections on the loco circuit board

Checked that the motor spins OK when not in mesh with the gears

Oddly I noticed that the problem does not occur so much if I warm the loco first. It is driving my loopy so any ideas would be very welcome.

You have confounding factors in your problem set . The fundamental question to answer is whether the mechanism or the DCC system is causing the failure to start. I would go right back to basics for a problem like this. Test the mechanism alone on DC having removed the decoder.

If it is mechanically reliable then you know the trouble is with the DCC set up.

If it isn't mechanically reliable then that needs to be fixed, and then you can test for operation on DCC.

• Agree 2

Thanks guys. I don't have a DC setup I can check it on sadly but I am starting to suspect the motor as has been suggested. I am not very au fait with the motors on these but will see if I can clean the commutator.

• RMweb Gold

I experienced a similar problem with a Bachmann 4MT tender loco that was fitted with a Lenz Standard+ decoder. Every so often it would not start for reasons I could not fathom. I use Traincontroller automation and the block it was standing in still showed up as occupied. A nudge would send the loco on its way.

I carried out a simple DCC test. When the problem occurred, I used Programming-on-Main to change a CV - I set CV4 to some silly value. Then put the loco on the programming track to read back the CV4 value. Sure enough it had been changed so that meant the decoder was receiving power when the loco was stalled. So then I replaced the motor and it's worked perfectly every since. 

Edited by RFS

On 24/12/2019 at 12:13, Gordon A said:

Motor brushes? Is the commutator clean?

Gordon A

Spot on! I gave the commutator a clean which is a bit tricky with the can motor in this loco, but with judicial use of a cocktail stick and some cleaner I managed it. Instant result - much better now thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a similar issue on a Liliput H0e D13 which would run badly until warm, moving a few inches, stopping, move a few inches more, stop until eventually it would run.

Changed the decoder, didn't solve the issue - ran the motor on DC out of the loco - seemed to run perfectly, ran the motor out of the loco on DCC - seemed to run perfectly BUT when I put the motor under load the problems reappeared.

Swapped the motor - cost €18 - and everything perfect :)

Sadly the problem returned. I think there is something amiss with the brushes/commutator so as it is under warranty it has gone back to Bachmann. I will post the outcome when I get it back but my guess is they will replace the motor.