NCE Powercab Repair

leviathan50040

So I bought an NCE Powercab (Not Working) from Stafford toy fair earlier this month for £8. The controller is powering on but there is no output. I knew this when I bought it but I thought I would try my luck getting it repaired,. I went onto the NCE site to find out about sending Powercabs through the post for repair. Has anybody sent NCE Powercabs off for repair to NCE? I'm not sure if NCE is similar to lenz where they come with a lifetime guarantee. Its a shot to nothing, I await NCE's response. 

Thanks

Carl

Have you tried a new cable? I've had an issue with one of the cores breaking, also check the sockets at both ends, sometimes the pins inside get twisted and don't make contact with the plugs.

Might be worth having a word with Coastal DCC, very helpful outfit (no connection with them) They sorted one for me that had a dodgy socket on the controller.

John

Hi John, Yes I already have a NCE Powercab that is fully functional so I know all wiring and connectivity is working fine. I bought the Powercab from Stafford as I can use it as a spare if need be. I have already sent it off to NCE in Webster, New York. I'm just wondering what their policy is on their guarantee. Curiosity more than anything. 

Thanks

Carl 

• RMweb Premium

NCE doesn't have a lifetime warranty, but their service/repair dept is very good.

(This is more for other readers as you've already sent your Powercab away)

I know it's an obvious question - but did you use the flat cable supplied with the Powercab?

The flat cable is 6 core, whilst the NCE supplied curly lead is 4 core (and uses the same plugs)

The easy way to tell is to look inside the plug moulding for the outer white and blue wires.

These actually carry the DCC output from the Powercab.

As mentioned above, look at the pins inside the handset - it's not unknown for one of them to be bent in the wrong direction.

When I e-mailed NCE about the thumb wheel on my Powercab I was told that shouldn’t fail and would be repaired free of charge. I just paid for shipping, I described it as “item for repair” on the customs declaration when I sent it.

• Informative/Useful 1

I had to send my Power Cab back to America two or three years ago when I damaged it. I had accidentally built a short into a loco and the Power Cab shut down completely. There was good communication with them and it came back in about a three weeks. It cost me about £40 for the repair and postage both ways. It was returned with a note saying "track circuit blown".

Robert

Considering the NCE kit is quite popular in the UK, I'm rather surprised NCE haven't appointed an approved UK repair agent?  I believe (I stand to be corrected) that at one stage Bromsgrove Models, when they were in business, undertook NCE repairs? But no one seems to have taken up the Authorised repair service AFAIK?? 

While I own a PowerCab, returning it to the USA for repair would IMO be a chore.   I also have a Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance (MRC rebadge) which at least if that ever went wrong is only a one day postal or courier service away in Ford W'Sussex.  Oh plus a Hornby eLink and that is in Westwood, Broadstairs/Margate and SPROGII who are also UK based.  But hopefully I wont need any repairs (Fingers crossed!)

NCE. Don`t have any authorised service agent at all in the UK, its been asked but they say its too much hassle on there part , There are a few model shops that do undertake repairs, like we do, but mostly the items end up back in the US.

Quite often in our experience the don`t charge for a genuine fault, so all you end up paying is the shop cost.and handling charge.

John