Nuneaton and Ashby Railway.

I have started to model the Midland and LNWR Jt. Rly, running from Nuneaton to Ashby de la Zouch, the station is scratch built based on Stoke Golding,  the rolling stock appears to be mostly LNWR but I can't find any details on colour of station doors etc, were these Midland red or LNWR brown, also what style signalling , any help from fellow modellers would be much appreciated , Peter King

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The Midland certainly ran both passenger and goods trains over the N&AJR. 

I suspect there will have been a division of responsibilities between the two companies - this was a common arrangement for joint lines. I don't know the answers but to my mind the line's buildings look as if they came off the Midland company architect's drawing board rather than the LNWR's, so possibly the Midland was responsible for the civil engineering, so maybe Midland colours were used.

Here's an old thread on the line:

Great project. Please post progress.

I would agree with Stephen. Several of the stations on the joint line seem to have been the work of Midland architect John Holloway Sanders, suggesting that the Midland was responsible for stations on the line, or sections thereof, and that they would be finished and maintained in Midland colours

That said, Market Bosworth signal box appears to be of LNWR, not MR, design, suggesting that the signal & telegraph department was the responsibility of the North Western.  I  have not seen any good views of signals themselves on the line. 

Traditionally, S&T was a separate department from that responsible for stations, so this division of responsibility between MR and LNWR is entirely possible. It begs the question what colours the boxes and signals were painted. Even within a single railway company, the S&T dept. could have its own practices, however, I would expect some measure of consistency between station and S&T colours.  In this regard I note that the joint line went to the trouble of asserting a distinct corporate identity at least to the extent of having its own staff uniforms and badges.

I'd be interested to learn what you discover.

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 1

There is a book, "The Ashby & Nuneaton Joint Railway (together with The Charnwood Forest Railway)" by DL Franks, 1975, 61 pages with a fold out map - Turntable Publications ISBN 0 902844 32 6.

It has a few photos in, one is mis-captioned "Market Bosworth Signal Box. A typical Midland Railway design." when it is clearly LNWR.

And the cover photo is repeated inside of Shackerstone station looking north where the junction signal can just be made out but of whose variety, I'm not knowledgeable enough.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1