Class26 snowplough fitting question?

w124bob

As supplied the when fitted the ploughs foul the bogie (slack adjusters) am I missing something obvious? I notice that in real life the slack adjusters are barely visible so clearly Heljan have slightly over sized them. A blue 26 without ploughs just doesn't look right.

• Agree 1

I’m pretty sure they used the same part as the 33 moulding. You will find that if you look at pictures there is a part that you need to remove on the end. 63C994EC-A699-44DD-AB7D-E9D00E41374D.jpeg.a8f66ed3fbc54d77f8f7b08c9eaf6ba1.jpegIf you look at the part of the brake rigging next to the fuel tank, you can see what part I’m on about, and you will find that the 33 has it, but the 26 shouldn’t. 

hope this sort of helps... 

• 5 months later...

Just a little update to inform those interested on how I overcame the issue, as I now have seven class 26/27 in my fleet and 3 more pending. Not that I'm obsessing about them!  After a little head scratching I decided to bin the Heljan brackets, I cut to 2 rectangles of plastic card roughly the size of the upper section of the centre plough and glue them to the back of the plough. A third rectangle of plasticard is then added with about 4 to 5 mm extending up behind the buffer beam. Once glued in place it makes the ploughs nice and robust, just be careful not to third section of plasticard to high otherwise the bufferbeam won't sit flush with the chassis front. I open out all the locating holes for the hoses, using single strand wire as a replacement for the control air pipes(the white handled ones)and a length of guitar wire for the vac pipe. The plough mounting method pushes the blades forward of the buffer beam slightly just clearing the bogie slack adjusters and works just as well on Bachmann class 20, 24/1 and 25's, pictures coming soon.

20200621_152823-1.jpg

20200621_152943-1.jpg

Edited by w124bob
Added info
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Snowploughs are a recurring challenge on most models because manufacturers insist on hanging them off of a bogie rather than the buffer beam as is the case with the real thing. The choice is then either a plough or a tension lock which causes me a great deal of frustration because my locos need a coupling at each end to operate in both directions. The result is I have a dozen or more pairs of Bachman ploughs sat in a box!

PH Designs produce a thin brass plough to hang off the buffer beam but I have not around to trying them. I have tried hanging the Bachmann offering from the buffer beam without success, the authors efforts are interesting, I’d like to see more pictures of the solution used.

Not all my class 27's are plough fitted so I'll show my plasticard mods on an unused set and the buffer beam detail unpainted so those interested can see the wire used for the control air hoses. I'll do a Bachmann set as well as it's very similar but with a difference in the way the wire loop is mounted for the coupling. I tried a PH Design plough but my soldering just wasn't upto it, the loft should have cooled down a bit tomorrow!

One more thing to remember is that Class 26/0 (the ones with the full length cantrail grills) didn’t have snowplough brackets and push pull Class 27 didn’t carry snowploughs either.

A few locos fitted with ploughs looks good, fitting all locos is a bit ott.

Brian.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, turbos said:

One more thing to remember is that Class 26/0 (the ones with the full length cantrail grills) didn’t have snowplough brackets and push pull Class 27 didn’t carry snowploughs either.

Brian.

It's the old adage of check pictures for your chosen era. I won't even go down class 27 droplight/sliding window issue, pre TOPS is easy but the final decade of service really does need picture evidence for accuracy.

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 27/06/2020 at 16:36, turbos said:

Brian.

27 204 had ploughs fitted....although not in PP days

27 204, Haymarket depot, 04-08-85

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tractor_37260 said:

27 204 had ploughs fitted....although not in PP days

27 204, Haymarket depot, 04-08-85

I think 27/2’s had enough bits working loose on their bogies in T ‘n’ T days without needing more unnecessary clutter to do the same.
Their later life was clearly much less strenuous.

• Funny 1