Were cattle wagons used only for cattle, or also pigs and sheep?

t.s.meese

On 25/12/2019 at 11:56, F-UnitMad said:

Years ago SWMBO came with me one day in my truck. It was the first time she saw into a loaded livestock trailer as we passed it, & she saw how closely packed the animals were. She thought I was just as callous as the livestock driver when I pointed out the screamingly obvious; that it was so the animals didn't fall over on corners or braking!!!

This is why I assumed they were closely packed. But someone mentioned that for bulls, only a small number were put in wagons. Perhaps it was less important to worry about the health (from falls) of animals on their way to slaughter. Dunno...

On 25/12/2019 at 18:25, Michael Hodgson said:

A friend of mine has an O LMS gauge cattle wagon carrying a toy camel about the right size along with some cows.

One of these days I am going to take a file to its hump and give it a paint job.

................. I think you'd end up with a Llama !

• RMweb Premium
On 28/12/2019 at 20:17, t.s.meese said:

This is why I assumed they were closely packed. But someone mentioned that for bulls, only a small number were put in wagons. Perhaps it was less important to worry about the health (from falls) of animals on their way to slaughter. Dunno...

The transport of livestock was regulated from quite early on by a succession of Acts of Parliament and Orders. This has been discussed in a topic on the cessation of limewashing of cattle wagons, which I'm blowed if I can find...

OK. Here:

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1