tortoise point motors

I am building a new layout and want to use my tortoise point motors, but need to make new actuator arms, what wire do I need as a search of the net has not revealed any spare ones. Does anybody have any experience of replacing them please?

Thanks Guys

Todeni

• RMweb Gold

I replaced the actuator wire on my Tortoises as, after the points had been ballasted, the supplied wire wasn't strong enough to be completely reliable. What you need is some piano wire easily available from multiple Ebay sellers such as this one:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/39-Sizes-0-152mm-to-1-600mm-Piano-Wire-39-inches-3ft-3-1-metre-Length/383139417952?hash=item5934e38f60:m:mUEiHdOH2pvUzfmiCbTIHlw

I found size 16 widely recommended and this is the one I used. You will need a thin file (or drill bit) to open out the hole slightly in the fulcrum. 

Edited by RFS
  • Like 1

I find that Tortoises can't cope with the spring in Peco N Gauge points, I'm sure it's worse in OO and above. If that's the issue, it begs the question, why not remove the spring and let the Tortoise do it's slo-mo thing?

Regards,

John P

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, jpendle said:

I find that Tortoises can't cope with the spring in Peco N Gauge points, I'm sure it's worse in OO and above. If that's the issue, it begs the question, why not remove the spring and let the Tortoise do it's slo-mo thing?

Regards,

John P

It would be my practice to remove the spring, it serves no purpose when the Tortoise operating wire locks the turnout.

John

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Agree with the above, it seems a little contradictory to use a slow-mo point motor for realism (amongst other benefits) and then still have the switch click over as it operates.

And then there is the issue of the polarity switch changing over whilst the switch blades are still held against the travel momentarily, which in some instances can cause a short circuit to occur on Electrofrog points.

Removing the spring is but a moments work with a fine pair of tweezers or very fine pliers.

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Foden said:

And then there is the issue of the polarity switch changing over whilst the switch blades are still held against the travel momentarily, which in some instances can cause a short circuit to occur on Electrofrog points.

Not if you've modified the points to completely isolate the frog as recommended. Also the changeover switch in the Tortoise is not instant but works with the motion of the blades so there's little chance of a short occurring if you've not modified the points. This sort of problem only arises if you've used a fast-acting relay that is wired together with the motor to change polarity. 

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, RFS said:

Not if you've modified the points to completely isolate the frog as recommended. Also the changeover switch in the Tortoise is not instant but works with the motion of the blades so there's little chance of a short occurring if you've not modified the points. This sort of problem only arises if you've used a fast-acting relay that is wired together with the motor to change polarity. 

Fair point regarding the isolation, however I’d think most people who go to this effort would also make the step to remove the spring if using a slow action anyway.

I can’t speak for the Tortoise but I’ve certainly had this polarity short circuit with Cobalt point motors where the polarity changes over before the resistance of the spring is overcome. In this instance I changed from Seep motors on a small layout I bought s/h. The points were not modified as lifting the track to do so was undesirable.

• RMweb Premium

On the the YouTube video Chadwick Model Railway Charlie Bishop suggests 1mm Wire 

He also suggests drilling out to 1.2 mm the hole that secures the wire.

Hope it helps

Seasonal Greetings 

Eltel 

• RMweb Gold
On 24/12/2019 at 19:56, jpendle said:

Regards,

John P

We left the springs in place for the fiddle yard points, gives a far more positive action. Tortoise motors can drive the points easily enough with a replacement wire as mentioned above. We had 80 of them, changed by Tortoise, in the fiddle yards including double slips and 3-ways - all worked almost 100% prefectly over several years, lots of shows and a huge amount of direction changes - we had very few failures (less than 5 failures in total over the years) of either a Tortoise or a Peco point.

For the scenic section I'd agree that letting the motor hold the blades over is better looking and of course for hand built points there is no option.

Make sure you get some hard wire cutters (Xurons for example) otherwise you will damage your normal cutters.