Ruston-Bucyrus No4 face shovel

The Bigbee Line

I am kit bashing a couple of Loriot wagons that will need some suitable loads.  Browsing my Jim Russell books a couple of Loriots were loaded with various items of earth moving equipment. 

To cut a long story short, is anyone aware of a suitable drawing or 7mm model.  I need the one that has what looks like a huge garden shed on the back end, like this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tudedude/9621980117

Duncan Models do a kit for a Priestman Panther, see about 2/3 of the way down this page

http://www.duncanmodels.co.uk/price_list_steam_vehicles_and_items.htm

I can’t remember when the particular type was first built but it might be suitable 

I’ve built the dragline version which with care went together fairly well and I’m planning on converting it to radio control when time permits 

Merry Christmas 

Mike

• Thanks 1

You could try Peter Robinson's books on Ruston-Bucyrus excavators, they have several drawings (and lots of photographs) of various types.  The ones you need would be "LIncoln's Excavators The Ruston Years 1875-1930" and "Lincoln's Excavators The Ruston-Bucyrus years 1930-1945" both published by Roundoak Publishing.

• Informative/Useful 1

Thanks for the tips, I also found this thread... https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/133218-ruston-bucyrus-drawings/

Not sure why I didn't find it before...

I think I have enough to make a load for my wagons.  As we are in Norfolk, Lincoln isn't to far away and if passing might have a 'look see'.  Must avoid getting too interested...

Thanks again.

6 hours ago, jim.snowdon said:

It would sensible to check that it isn't out of gauge when sitting on a Lowmac. The engine house is not exactly small and although they would have been transported by rail when built, they may have been partially dismantled for travel.

Jim

Jim,

In the Jim Russell book it is described as a 27 ton Diesel Shovel and is loaded on GWR 41988.  The shovel is supported on timber cribbing, with timbers and chains holding it in position.  The condition of the machine suggests that is had been loaded at some worksite after a job.

The curved roof of the engine house would aid it fitting within the loading gauge.  Such a load would have travelled 'Load Examined' if not as an 'Exceptional Load'.  How time flies, it must be 30 years since I last signed off an "Exceptional Load" on the big railway.

Also Lowmacs were not as useful as Weltrols when loading machines on and off at worksites.  Tracked vehicles could be a pain in the rear end if there was any kind of super elevation.  We loaded a tracked vehicle with a type of harrow that had been used to 'rake' the ballast to remove the indentations from the old track before laying the new.  It was on the bank near Godmersham and it took forever....

Thanks

Ernie

16 hours ago, The Bigbee Line said:

Jim,

Also Lowmacs were not as useful as Weltrols when loading machines on and off at worksites.  Tracked vehicles could be a pain in the rear end if there was any kind of super elevation.  We loaded a tracked vehicle with a type of harrow that had been used to 'rake' the ballast to remove the indentations from the old track before laying the new.  It was on the bank near Godmersham and it took forever....

Thanks

Ernie

Could be worse I once had to load a scarifier fitted D4 dozer on a Flatrol, during a North London Line Job. there was no cant but the fact that on the other side of the wagon there was just a fence consisting of a couple of strands of wire to stop the machine falling off the bridge we were on and onto the ECML was slightly concerning.

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Trog said:

Could be worse I once had to load a scarifier fitted D4 dozer on a Flatrol, during a North London Line Job. there was no cant but the fact that on the other side of the wagon there was just a fence consisting of a couple of strands of wire to stop the machine falling off the bridge we were on and onto the ECML was slightly concerning.

...and always when your on “a flier..”

21 hours ago, The Bigbee Line said:

Also Lowmacs were not as useful as Weltrols when loading machines on and off at worksites.

Presumably the well had to be built up internally to bring the deck up to level with the side beams.

I guess the same issue, in principle, was behind the Southern and the Great Western building designs of four-wheel well wagons with very low and flat decks specifically for engineering plant.

Jim 

1 hour ago, jim.snowdon said:

Presumably the well had to be built up internally to bring the deck up to level with the side beams.

I guess the same issue, in principle, was behind the Southern and the Great Western building designs of four-wheel well wagons with very low and flat decks specifically for engineering plant.

Jim 

Jim,

The Lowmac was primarily loaded over the end, vehicles could be driven along a row of such wagons, whereas the Weltol had to be loaded over the side.

If to be loaded over the side, the floor was flush.  All interesting stuff.

Thanks

Ernie

• Thanks 1

The floors on Flatrols tended to be lower than those on Lomacs of a similar size. So if you were an Engineer wanting to load machines on site, it was easier to load them on Flatrols than Lomacs. The four wheel single Flatrols were lower than the bogie double Flatrols so if you were loading a dozer a single Flatrol was the best option. The larger doubles were fine for 360' excavators as the digging arm could be used as a prop to help the machine climb onto the wagon or held out to change the point of balance. Both useful aids where all you had to help load the machines were a couple of soggy rotten softwood sleepers.

Interesting topic.

A few years ago whilst in (the late lamented) Modellers Mecca owned by Lucy Pitch, one of her staff Jaymes had created a display model of a Cambrian kitbuilt Loriot loaded with a diecast tracked crane.

Certainly gave me some inspiration.