Streamlined Monstrosities

The GWR didn't have any uglies or monstrosities.   :beee:

Seriously now. I intend on doing 6014 King Henry VII with the streamlined cab eventually. Mainly because I've got a nice set of name/numberplates for it. The conventional type not the straight nameplates. At least one of the straight plates survives.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/70607220@N04/26565089363

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The streamlined King Henry VII, 6014 looks rather like something out of Flash Gordon....

Collet didn't want to do any streamlined locos, he took the view that lateral wind pressure on a locomotive-hauled train was more significant than head on pressure, and that no amount of streamlining of the loco would make things better. When pressured by the Board to come up with an answer to the LNER and LMS efforts he took a model and faired in various protruberances with modelling clay*.

At least the GWR only streamlined 5005 and 6014!

I would say that they were ideosyncratic rather than ugly, and it was probably a cheaper solution to a management demand than the overall casing that other railways used.

The railcars were a different matter, they looked the part and being mainly single units, the streamlining effect would possibly have been more significant.

* An O.S.Nock anecdote, so take with the quantity of Siberia you deem necessary....

8 hours ago, Hroth said:

The streamlined King Henry VII, 6014 looks rather like something out of Flash Gordon....

Collet didn't want to do any streamlined locos, he took the view that lateral wind pressure on a locomotive-hauled train was more significant than head on pressure, and that no amount of streamlining of the loco would make things better. When pressured by the Board to come up with an answer to the LNER and LMS efforts he took a model and faired in various protruberances with modelling clay*.

At least the GWR only streamlined 5005 and 6014!

I would say that they were ideosyncratic rather than ugly, and it was probably a cheaper solution to a management demand than the overall casing that other railways used.

The railcars were a different matter, they looked the part and being mainly single units, the streamlining effect would possibly have been more significant.

* An O.S.Nock anecdote, so take with the quantity of Siberia you deem necessary....

They both date from the thirties and reflect the fashion of the day. The alleged modelling clay at least shows a knowledge of the problem, smoothing off the flat front surfaces and flaring off the rear drag areas. However the streamlining only has any effect at high speed. The first? attempts date from the 19th century http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/bec/bec.htm

Stanier also thought it a waste of time, but then he learned his trade at Swindon too.

I think 5005 later acquired a flat fronted cab, but may be wrong on this.

Edited by Il Grifone

• 1 month later...

I have modelled 5005 in the past, and can tell you that EMA model supplies sell (or used to?) a hemisphere exactly the right size to fit an Airfix / GMR Castle body shell.

Regards,

Neil

Edited by neilkirby
typo
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 11 months later...

Does anyone happen to know whether the parabolic nose fitted to 6014 (and a number of the PLMs express locos) was actually the smokebox door or something fitted separately, In either case how was it secured since it obviously had to be removed more or less daily  to clean and service the smokebox? 

Thanks Mike I don't know if the PLM "cigar" fronts were the same but I suspect so though sources refer to them as having been replaced by a conventional smokebox door. I don't know how much the "Prandtl" nose would have add to the time needed to clean out the smokebox of the King but I'll bet it was cursed in the sheds . This came up in an article about smokeboxes I'm editing for the next French Railways Society Journal,  

On 02/01/2020 at 13:53, JimC said:

Funny thing about the much maligned Collett treatment is how many later designs are in the same vein. Most recently the 5AT proposal. Remove the blinkers and... 

1600px-Elevation_Drawing_of_5AT_Locomoti

That looks rather a lot like one of André Chapelon's proposed designs? Enough nods to streamlining to keep the image people happy but nothing that actually gets in the way. 

Like Collett, Chapelon too was very sceptical about external streamlining but not about streamlining the actual steam cycle inside the engine.  Streamlining was though far more about image than engineering but, with the railways facing increasing competition from "sleek" and "modern" cars and aeroplanes, that wasn't a  trivial consideration. They had to try to lose the image of being a Victorian transport system and streamlining steam locos (with close to bu**erall effect on performance) was  one way of doing that.    

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Those images are interesting. Obviously the unclad boiler barrel makes the boiler look very thin and you'd presumably fit a conventional smokebox and lose the curved footplate. Having done those fairly minor mods yes I think it would look very similar to an A3, rather as a GWR King looks very similar to a Castle. 

As the 17ft A4 boilers were fitted to A3s which originally had 18 ft ones  its a pretty sure bet an un streamlined A4 would have looked like an A3. It would have looked mighty odd if the boiler had been shortened without lengthening the smokebox to compensate.   

Its a feature of the Holcroft / Gresley 3 cylinder set up that the inside cylinder is slightly behind the outside ones whereas  GW a( including Stanier) and North British loco co designs, Royal Scot./ B17 , and Thompson lash ups all have the inside cylinders in front of he outside ones.

• RMweb Premium

I found it interesting that the A4 streamlining seemed to disguise the bulk of the locomotive, resulting in an elegant well-balanced profile. They didn't seem as large as an A3, although they were.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DavidCBroad said:

As the 17ft A4 boilers were fitted to A3s which originally had 18 ft ones  its a pretty sure bet an un streamlined A4 would have looked like an A3. It would have looked mighty odd if the boiler had been shortened without lengthening the smokebox to compensate.   

Its a feature of the Holcroft / Gresley 3 cylinder set up that the inside cylinder is slightly behind the outside ones whereas  GW a( including Stanier) and North British loco co designs, Royal Scot./ B17 , and Thompson lash ups all have the inside cylinders in front of he outside ones.

Hi David,

The fire box was lengthened by the addition of  larger combustion chamber, this gave a larger crown sheet area for a loss of tube length of 12". Externally the only difference is how many stay heads there would be in the rear part of the boiler barrel, the front tube plates of both boiler types are in the same place relative to the rear of the smoke box.

You can see the fire box outline in this weight diagram of an A4, the tube plate is about in line with the axle of the rear driving wheels. With the A3 boiler it is set a foot further back. 

http://www.railalbum.co.uk/steam-locomotives/images-lnera4/classa4-diagram.jpg

Gibbo.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...

I remember seeing 6014 at Taunton when I was a lad, c.1958/59, and noticing the wedge shaped cab.  At the time I wasn't sure what it was - but before long I did!  It was coupled to a train of Chocolate and Cream Centenary stock and the recessed doors impressed me at the time - but, like the cab, I had no idea what the coaches were.

If only I could go back and take another look.....................

Edited by 5050
  • Like 3