Unknown OO brass Bulleid Pacific body

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure the Farish Bulleid Pacific owned by a couple of friends in the '50s was styled as a BoB - Sir Eustace Missenden, always known as Sir Useless. But as others have said, the position of the safety valves behind the dome indicates a model made in the mid-50s at the earliest. 

Someone asked about the Hornby models. The early production of the present generation all had the safety valves in the rear position, but some more recent versions had them correctly forward. Confusingly, either might be in Southern Railway livery, because Hornby recognised the market for replicas of locos as they are now, e.g. Blackmore Vale in preservation, so care is needed in selecting the right configuration for each era. Other tell-tales - apart from the cab - include things like battery boxes and the lack of infill ahead of the cylinders, both indicators of a more modern condition. 

• Like 1

On 28/12/2019 at 11:52, Virgil said:

Here as requested is the underside, Jamieson - Crownline?

fullsizeoutput_573.jpeg

This is a strange one, as from the outside it looks cast but from the inside looks like sheet material and with the lack of a front buffer beam perhapps a RTR mechanism was used. May be scratch built ? But then with the cast roof over the smokebox door looking to be cast and the shape of both the cab and cab windows looking to be pressed has all the signs of an early kit of limited edition RTR

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 1

Thanks again to all for the comments and opinions.

I can definitely rule out Graham Farish, there are enough differences to prove it, including the chimney streamlining.

Scratch build is always a possibility, the unusual touch of the uncovered clack valves I find intriguing, they surely never ran in service like that?

• Informative/Useful 1

25 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I'm sure the Farish Bulleid Pacific owned by a couple of friends in the '50s was styled as a BoB - Sir Eustace Missenden, always known as Sir Useless.

omis

It was sold  as a MN, but I read somewhere it's dimensions are more WC. Not owning one I couldn't say.  The body would be a solid lump of zinc alloy, though AFAIK the tender is plastic. It had the Farish 2 pole motor, renowned for it's reluctance to start.

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Agree. They are usually pre cut metal with a few metal castings and turnings. It's not Crownline as the Crownline kit is still available form PDK and is a modern etched kit.

This seems to be something from the 1950s IMHO. Could it be Hamblings? There is one mentioned on the MRE MAG website.

Hamblings  1950   OO  Manufacturer Closed Down    Ready to run,   streamlined version.

http://www.mre-mag.com/locosearch.php?mt=0&id=4

Jason

Well done. My web searches on Hambling's did not give a complete range of locos, but the ads say that they did 50 - so I would have expected a WC/BoB.

The underside shows very similar construction/design to my Hambling's Fairburn.

They would have been produced over a period of time, so perfectly possible that they could have incorporated changes over time.

Amazing what a dose of paint stripper can do, and nothing fell off!

Gives a chance to see the materials used, brass of course and looks like nickel silver for the smoke deflectors, (you can ping the front edge of them) and the upper cowl and chimney feel too hard for white metal, pewter maybe?

fullsizeoutput_575.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_577.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 29/12/2019 at 17:27, Joseph_Pestell said:

Well done. My web searches on Hambling's did not give a complete range of locos, but the ads say that they did 50 - so I would have expected a WC/BoB.

The underside shows very similar construction/design to my Hambling's Fairburn.

They would have been produced over a period of time, so perfectly possible that they could have incorporated changes over time.

Do you have a photos of your fairburn Please, i think i have one too but would like to see another, Regards the OPs Question Did Rowell do something like this? I have a Rowell Duchess but that is cast.

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, russell price said:

Do you have a photos of your fairburn Please, i think i have one too but would like to see another, Regards the OPs Question Did Rowell do something like this? I have a Rowell Duchess but that is cast.

It's buried in a storage box. As and when I next see it, I will try to remember to take a photo.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Bit late to the party but with regards to the top of an original WC here are some photos of 34007 taken when I went for  wander along said top...as you do.

I have quite a few detail pics of various bits of it and the underneath of 34105 if anyone's interested.

030 copy.jpg

026 copy.jpg

035 copy.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1