decoders with the same address

gwrcollet

I run two car dmu loco's with the same address in the driving loco and trailing car to run the coach and

directional lights, this works ok with railcom turned off,and will not with it turned on the ESU ECoS

will not let me run two decoders of the same address. The problem is I run my layout with RR&CO

and the new V5 loksound decoders will not work with railcom turned off via RR&CO? the problem only

came to light when I had a new loco with v5 decoder.

I don't have ECoS, but the normal way to run 2 x loco motors together, is to make a Consist, which will have a single address for operating both motors together.  Your ECoS manual will have how to make a consist.

Regards

Julian

Edited by jcredfer

18 minutes ago, gwrcollet said:

Hi Juian

Thanks for that I have run two loco's in consist with differant address as one unit,  I think you have sorted my problem out

many Thanks

If the suggested Idea above does not work. Set up two different addresses in the decoders and use the join function in TC to join them as one. 

Thanks for all your replys, I used two different address and run them as a trainset in RR&CO head and tail lights ok the

only differance is coach lighting does not work as one, they are separate decoder funchions buttons this is not the end of the world?

ManyThanks again

Bryan

Have you tried with one decoder (sound, traction lights) with RailCom on, and the other (lights, trailer car) with RailCom off ?      No idea if this works correctly.

Alternatively, with Consisting, it depends how your consisting method works.   If its just in the software, then whatever the software does.   If its using CV19 (Advanced Consists), then settings in CV21 and CV22 will determine which functions work with the consist address. 

HI Nigel

you can run two decoders with the same address with Railcom OFF (sound, traction, lights and other lights trailing car)

As soon you turn Railcom ON Then you cannot use the same address on ECoS it keeps changing it.I am looking

at this to see if the software will allow me to link the address (functions) I know the drive functions can be joined

in consists and this changes the directional light only

Edited by gwrcollet
update

@gwrcollet Hi,

I have an ECoS too, and I also had a double decoder set-up for a HST unit BUT the decoders were bought as a pair - one being for the 'dummy' end and the other for the motor unit. Like you, ECoS refused to have the same address for both chips and so a different address was used and the two were run as a consist (the same for the Blue Pullman BTW). HOWEVER, as the two chips were specifically set up to run as a 'pair', the sounds were different in each end depending which end was leading - for example the horn would only work from the leading vehicle regardless of whether it was the 'dummy' or power car. The lights correctly showed white/red as appropriate. Can I assume that your chips were bought separately and therefore your lighting functions will need to be tweaked as mentioned above?

Cheers,

Philip

• RMweb Gold

We have the same issue with pairs of Class 20s - we dont want the horn to sound on the rear loco in a double headed pair so the  horn functions are configured to only work with the loco running forwards (cab first)

ECoS can do this...

Let me know if you need to know how....

• Informative/Useful 1

On 30/12/2019 at 11:08, gwrcollet said:

Thanks for all your replys, I used two different address and run them as a trainset in RR&CO head and tail lights ok the

only differance is coach lighting does not work as one, they are separate decoder funchions buttons this is not the end of the world?

ManyThanks again

Bryan

Hi bryan,

you can get around the coach lights by setting up a macro for the button which would operate the coach lights on both sets.