Humbrol Enamel paint - Railway livery equivalent

Possy92

Hi all,

Whilst doing some repaints of models, and searching for the correct colour, I had found on this site that people used:

Humbrol 133 for early freight Bauxite? (Browny red!) And

Humbrol 64 for early freight grey.

This got me thinking if there are any other humbrol colours people use (obviously they have the acrylic rail range) that are also "railway" colours such as 64 and 133.

Does anyone have a list, or can add to the couple I've got?

Thank you for taking the time to read!

Kind regards

• Like 1

Number 3 Brunswick Green for Loco Green, but unfortunately its a Gloss so needs a Matt varnish, but good for the green used on Station woodwork out of the tin.

Coal black is quite good for Loco black.

Unfortunately there are not many true matches to Railway colours in the Humbrol Enamel range, which is why for a specific railway colour intend to use Railmatch Enamels and just use Humbrol for the more generic colours.

Unless someone has a list of matches they would like to post.

Paul

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Humbrol 67 is great for GWR grey.  And if you get a  copy of the Humbrol "catalogue/chart" on the flip side there is a comparability chart showing what Humbrol colours match other brands (Revell, Tamiya etc).  So this then gives very close shades by buying the Revell equivalent.

Close shades are ideal because unless your wagons all came out of the works at the same time, colours faded.  So paint some wagons in the "alternate colour".

Also wooden wagons and vans often had  repairs to single planks or multiple planks which got a local patch paint.  So carefully pick out these planks or whole doors in a darker "fresher" colour shade.

I use the same tactic with GW Coach Brown.  By using Railmatch Coach Brown, Pheonix Coach Brown and a couple of Humbrols (98 Matt Chocolate is one example) you get a very varied (and prototypically correct) variably shaded train.

Some colours are not available in the standard Humbrol range:  GWR green ( old or later versions) for example.

For GWR and BR(W) buildings there are some spot on equivalents for the "cream" and "red/brown" for buildings and also for the blue engineer's bricks:  don't have my list to hand - but the info is on this site somewhere.

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I would add that the legendary RAF Kinloss MRC Halford's spray paint chart is now so woefully out of date:  many of the colours listed haven't been available for 5 years, and quite a few of the "matches" are a long way off what we now accept as accurate.  The original chart was written about 15 years ago if not older.

Be very careful if offered this as a solution.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

H = Humbrol  R = Revell

GW coach oil boxes  - R   SM 350

GW Dark Freight Grey  R 350

GW Freight Grey  R 78   H 67

Carriage Brown  H10  H Auth 100

Faded carriage brown ( great for SIPHONS and brown "freight" stock)  H98

Carriage Cream  H Auth 103   H 103

Engine Green  H Auth 104

GWR building colours:

No 2 Light Stone   R89  R 17

No3 Dark Stone ( 1931 onward) H 65  or H 160

Engineer/Blue Brick  50/50 mix of H77 and H 79

Stone/ Light Cotswold (Sills and lintels) H121  H 71

Brick   R37 + H 73 + H 100  all mixed but slightly vary the mix for individual bricks

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I'm asking here as I think the question is more relevant on this thread with a response that may get a better results...

The Hornby 2020 Catalogue and the APT-P Release... Does anyone know what are the True Colour Match to the Real APT-P, I don't want Hornby to get it wrong a second time, I prefer they get this Model in a more True Colour as the APT-P of the 80's is out slightly, So my question, do we know what Paints ate the Best or Spot on Match of the APT-P so I can contact Hornby now rather than when its to late...?

Yellow Front / Red Line and Cream Body...

Regards

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

You are better off posting that one on the Prototype pages.  There will be folk on there who were working for BR at the time and may know.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Have you seen the Humbrol Rail Paints colour chart?

https://www.humbrol.com/uk-en/shop/paints/acrylic-rail-colours.html

I know it says it's the acrylic paints, but I can't find a version for enamel paint on their website.

Hi Keith,

Sorry if I have misunderstood your post but is it because the rail range is only available in acrylic?

Regards,

Alex.

Many of the old enamel railway colours are now in the main range with other names. Some of them still have the same numbers such as 103 Cream (which is the old GWR Cream).

However if you want railway colours in enamel the best bet would be getting Phoenix Precision. A bit more expensive, but much better range of colours and are more accurate IMHO.

https://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/

Places like Peters Spares sell it if that's easier. It is sometimes for me.

https://www.petersspares.com/paintsdyespowders-phoenix-paints.irc

Jason

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Alex TM said:

Hi Keith,

Sorry if I have misunderstood your post but is it because the rail range is only available in acrylic?

Regards,

Alex.

Hi Alex

Sorry if my post was ambiguous, but yes, I was a bit confused why Humbrol do an Acrylic Rail Range, but (it seems) not an Enamel Rail Range.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

There are many good reasons for sticking to Humbrol, the primary one being availability.  I am fortunate in that my local model shop stocks both Railmatch and Phoenix Precision, but not all modellers or hobbyists are in this position.  Since Humbrol is stocked by most model shops, and many arts and crafts shops, it is easier to acquire without recourse to mail ordering.  As I understand Royal Mail regulations regarding flammable substances, enamel paints would have to be sent by courier.  It's also advantageous if you are also on a limited budget as Humbrol costs less than half that of the others.

Hope that makes some kind of sense.

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4