Cable Markers

Ray H

• RMweb Premium

Can anyone recommend cable markers that would suit 14/030 cable?

The specification for the cable size says it is one square millimetre although that's the conductor area rather than the sheath diameter.

Many thanks.

31 minutes ago, Ray H said:

Can anyone recommend cable markers that would suit 14/030 cable?

The specification for the cable size says it is one square millimetre although that's the conductor area rather than the sheath diameter.

Many thanks.

Do you mean clip-on or self-adhesive, pre-printed? Farnell sell them in a range of sizes, but it would be easier to know which if you could measure the diameter of the insulation. 

• RMweb Premium

It'll be the clip om ones as most of the cables exist already.

The layout is at the club so I can't get the measurement at present but I'd guess the OD is something like 4mm. However, I know someone who may be able to find the actual size before I next go there so I'll post that up when I have it.

I did look at Rapid Electronics but the choice is a bit bewildering. Hence the reason for asking. I was hopeful that users of RMweb may be able to recommend a specific make/supplier.

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, smokebox said:

But not as good.

You pays yer money and takes yer choice.

The Hellerman ones are what professionals would use, but they have top be put on before the cable is in place as they are complete rings*.( If they are what I think they are!)

Edit *maybe not

Edited by melmerby

[Edit - inapplicable info on slide-on ones removed]

If you only want small quantities, a book of tape markers may be better - we normally use these only on large cables the others will not fit, but they can be used on any size.

There are 45 separate tape strips on each page,  and each strip has a perforation in the middle so on small wires you effectively get 90 of each digit for around a tenner. With 1mm wire each half strip is more than enough to put a wrap around it.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/cable-markers/8121528/

There are also variation with letters and symbols, eg.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/cable-markers/8121528/

There are lots of other makes and types that would work, but I've no direct experience with those.

Edit - just looked at the original post again & seen it's for existing wiring.  Go with the book of tape strips - you can't go wrong with those, where clip-over types are often critical on size and can get snagged / pulled off.

Edited by RobjUK

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

My low rent method is to use a 'flag' of white insulating tape with a number / letter fibre tipped on to it at each end of the cable; ensuring I use a permanent marker.

You could also use other colours e.g. Red, Yellow & Green etc. for different functions (DCC bus, low voltage AC supply to accessories, point control etc.

I've even just written directly on the sheath of some cables (not necessarily model railways!)

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, melmerby said:

But not as good.

You pays yer money and takes yer choice.

The Hellerman ones are what professionals would use, but they have top be put on before the cable is in place as they are complete rings*.( If they are what I think they are!)

Edit *maybe not

Definitely clip on.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, WIMorrison said:

Wow, that is heavy wire - are you sure isn’t 2.5mm2 cross sectional area that you mean?

this would be standard mains ring wiring cable, typically used for the track bus - and it is less than 2.5mm diameter.

I'm told that's the measurement over the outer sheath which, having installed most of it, I'm actually surprised is so low.

The conductor's is quoted as being 1mm sq as indicated above.

I just notice that you say 14/03 which is 0.99mm2 - extremely heavy for a model railway, you ain't going to suffer power issues with wire of this weight. Its primary use is in automotive electrics with a current capacity of ~10 amps

Edited by WIMorrison

• RMweb Premium

Iain

It is a large (approx. 40' x 20') club O gauge layout. The 2.5 sheath outer measurement was taken for me yesterday and I have no doubt that it is correct. The wire specification is 14/030 and has been largely bought because  we could source a variety of coloured wires with and without coloured stripes - we must have at least 20 different colours in use.

The markers would make it a lot easier to identify a particular wire when trying to track a circuit under the baseboard.

• Like 2

Be wary of "flag" style markers if any wires are bundled, it gets difficult to see which flag is attached to which wire - and if they are in a location that's awkward to see, by Murphy's law the one you are trying to find will always be edge on...

They are fine if the wires are well spread out and you have easy access.

Make sure that you get the type with the "hanging" label section rather than ones with it inset in the tie itself, as those are only suitable for large cables or bundles.

These look OK: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-Pcs-Zip-Ties-Write-on-Ethernet-RJ45-RJ12-Wire-Power-Cable-Label-Mark-Tags/231985288421

These are the two types of individual digit ones we use; the black on white are the tape style from the the books I linked to earlier, the coloured ones are TE / Critchley Z type size 11 (slide on, not clip on).

Not a very good photo, just the first one I could find that showed them in something like detail.

cable_markers.jpg

• Thanks 1