Concrete sleeper track

Hello

I,m looking to get fine 00 gauge (not P4 or EM) concrete sleeper track what or fairly easy to use or modify.

I really liked the idea of using C and L finescale code 82 flat bottom rail and exactoscale fast track bases and would have been perfect as it is not hard to construct and gives a fine appearance but recently exactoscale stopped selling their own items only to be sold through EM and P4 groups so were can i get the 00 scale products?

If i could get an answer for this this would answer the main problem at hand.

Also i know C and L finescale use to produce ready built concrete sleeper track featuring its own rail and the fast track bases and again this would be great if still available but having had a look on C and L finescale's website they didn't mention or advised such a product but i do know they still sell code 82 rail, if you know anything about the product please comment and it would be helpful.

I know PECO code 75 track would need the sleepers respaceing and there quit a few tools out there could any recommend a specific brand what give a scale space between the sleepers

Know kato do a pre-ballasted versions but would rather use flexi track use fine ballast and mainly allowing for fine details E.G-point rodding to be added and blended into the scene so i won't going down this route.

Any help will be much appreciated , Thanks, Jack

According to Exactoscale, their OO products can apparently be bought through EM & P4 societies.

I find this very strange because you simply wouldn't expect to find them there.

The next thing we know, they'll be pulling their OO range because sales have dropped.

Regarding re-spacing Peco track, here goes...

Peco HO/OO track (ie, NOT Bullhead) has sleepers spaced at 6.8mm from centre to centre.

PH Designs makes a spacing tool & from the photos on the web site, this will space sleepers at 7.8mm

http://www.phd-design-etchings.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=36&product_id=130

DOGA also make some sleeper spacing tools. They provide 2 different alternatives because sleeper spacing varies between new, main lines & older branch lines.

The 8.5mm gauge was derived from a photo of a Mark 3A coach standing on some track. The 9.5mm gauge was done with wider spacing to provide a contrast for yards, old branch lines etc.

http://www.doubleogauge.com/shop.htm

Or you could go DIY & cut your own gauge from Plastikard. I have done this but it was a little less uniform than using a gauge...but if you look closely at real track, spacing is not completely uniform either.

I have seen it mentioned that Peco sleepers are too thin & will never look right even after re-spacing. This is true of some track, but it seems there are lots of subtle variations in sleeper size & shapes on the prototype. This may be an annoyance if you want to re-create a particular location which has wider sleepers.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

50 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

According to Exactoscale, their OO products can apparently be bought through EM & P4 societies.

The Exactoscale OO concrete sleepers can certainly be bought from the Scalefour Stores although you do have to be a member of the society.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Pete the Elaner said:

So you have to join the S4 society in order to buy OO track components?

What a ridiculous situation.

Not necessarily.  I believe that if you go to the Scaleforum or Scalefour North shows, the entry fee effectively gives you membership of the society for that day and you can purchase from the Scalefour Stores stand (assuming that they have the track bases there).  I think the same is true of the EM Gauge Society shows.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Ridiculous it might be.

But the alternative of the parts not being available at all seems to me to be a much poorer option.

Bernard

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bernard Lamb said:

Ridiculous it might be.

But the alternative of the parts not being available at all seems to me to be a much poorer option.

Bernard

That's not really the point.

Suppose Ducati started selling their motorbikes & spares through Ferrari dealers.

If you were looking for a Ducati, would you want to join a Ferrari owners club or go to a Ferrari show to buy it?

This is the situation we now have with Exactoscale components.

Yes, the 00 Exactoscale Fast Track bases were once sold through through C&L before the last change of ownership and were then available exclusively either through the 'Scale' societies or by direct mail order, but the mail order route was closed last month (30 November 2019) because it was costing more to pay someone to handle orders than the value of said orders - most sales were via the scale societies.  I put in an order last month to stock up on the 00 Fast Track bases so I don't have your problem.  As others have said, I understand that attendance at one of the 'Scale' shows makes you a member for the day and therefore able to purchase that way.  I guess the alternative is asking whether a fellow club member who models in either EM or P4 would be willing to order for you through whichever society they are a member of.

If that's not an option, then I'd look at the Peco Individulay range, which includes concrete sleepers, pandrol clips and code 82 rail.  I don't think the concrete sleepers in the Individulay range are the same as the H0/00 ones on the code 75 flexi-track: I think they are to 4 mm scale width rather than 3.5 mm scale width.  However, assembly of the Individulay components will likely take more time than re-spacing the sleepers on the code 75 flexi-track. 

The issue that i have is the accompanying Code 82/83 Flat-bottom point work - or lack of.  Colin Craig used to sell copper-clad turnout kits, but sadly these are no longer available. 

On 30/12/2019 at 11:27, Pete the Elaner said:

I know.

Thank you all,

I will probbably join a society and order some exactoscale fast track components as to go to a show it would cost me more in train fare than membership.

On 30/12/2019 at 12:08, Dungrange said:

The issue that i have is the accompanying Code 82/83 Flat-bottom point work - or lack of.  Colin Craig used to sell copper-clad turnout kits, but sadly these are no longer available. 

Hornby mazazine reveiw on the C and L finescale ready built track what featured code 82 and exactoscale fast track sleepers and when put to code 75 track there is a slit lip but nothing much,so for where i'm going to model i will use bullhead as per the prototype.

On 30/12/2019 at 11:27, Pete the Elaner said:

It has proved not to be cost effective despite a 15% surcharge for Exactoscale to offer a retail outlet even on a restricted basis. The main RRP is £8.50 paying the surcharge would add £1.275 per 2 m pack. Joining a society even only for a year offers other benefits, so any membership fee can easily be reduced by every pack of fast track bases and or track parts bought

Or if you are close to any of either the EM Gauge or P4 Society shows which the trade stands support, your entrance fee gives you membership for the day

Or befriend a member

Remember that not all EM Gauge or P4 Society members model in that gauge

What you call a ridiculous situation has simply been caused by 00 gauge modellers (who are not members of either society) not supporting this trader. 

C&L concrete sleepers are 34mm long (EM/P4 size) Peco concrete sleepers are 32mm long

https://peco-uk.com/products/concrete-sleepers?_pos=1&_sid=c9ad605de&_ss=r

I have no idea if the Peco Streamline concrete track is to 3.5 or 4 mm scale

18 hours ago, MrJack47790 said:

I know.

Thank you all,

I will probbably join a society and order some exactoscale fast track components as to go to a show it would cost me more in train fare than membership.

Hornby mazazine reveiw on the C and L finescale ready built track what featured code 82 and exactoscale fast track sleepers and when put to code 75 track there is a slit lip but nothing much,so for where i'm going to model i will use bullhead as per the prototype.

If you are buying bullhead now, C&L has just bought out a new Flexitrack base. The sleepers are now thicker 1.6 mm the same as Exactoscale, they have both 3 bold chair detail and keys in the chairs, also the sleepers are in 60' panels with 12" sleepers at both ends

1 hour ago, hayfield said:

What you call a ridiculous situation has simply been caused by 00 gauge modellers (who are not members of either society) not supporting this trader. 

C&L concrete sleepers are 34mm long (EM/P4 size) Peco concrete sleepers are 32mm long

https://peco-uk.com/products/concrete-sleepers?_pos=1&_sid=c9ad605de&_ss=r

I have no idea if the Peco Streamline concrete track is to 3.5 or 4 mm scale

Quite true about lack of support form OO modellers. If you want he extra authenticity of better track, you are more likely to be modelling in EM/P4 in the first place.

In the past few years, Peco & DCC Concepts have all introduced products which directly compete (C&L already did).

These 2 factors have probably impacted Exactoscale's market.

Selling OO products though other gauge's societies is like me trying to sell my Honda on a Lotus forum. I wouldn't expect as much response as advertising it in a mainstream website/publication.

From Exactoscale's point of view, the damage was done when they lost C&L as a distributor.

I would not be surprised if their OO range is wound down soon.

As for sleeper lengths, OO is too narrow & scale sleepers emphasise this. Shortening the sleepers to 32mm disguises it a little.

(How did this bit pop into the conversation anyway?). 

Peco streamline concrete sleeper track is HO scale, which is why some prefer to space the sleepers out.

21 hours ago, MrJack47790 said:

Hornby magazine review on the C and L finescale ready built track what featured code 82 and exactoscale fast track sleepers and when put to code 75 track there is a slit lip but nothing much,so for where i'm going to model I will use bullhead as per the prototype.

If flat bottom rail on plain line and bullhead rail in point-work is correct for your location and era, I'd do the same.  I have a couple of Code 75 bullhead turnout kits from C&L which I will be using in my yard (where I can assume they've never been replaced in years), but unfortunately, I don't think there are many bullhead turnouts left on the mainline, which is why the loss of the Colin Craig range is disappointing. 

44 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Quite true about lack of support form OO modellers. If you want he extra authenticity of better track, you are more likely to be modelling in EM/P4 in the first place.

In the past few years, Peco & DCC Concepts have all introduced products which directly compete (C&L already did).

These 2 factors have probably impacted Exactoscale's market.

Selling OO products though other gauge's societies is like me trying to sell my Honda on a Lotus forum. I wouldn't expect as much response as advertising it in a mainstream website/publication.

From Exactoscale's point of view, the damage was done when they lost C&L as a distributor.

I would not be surprised if their OO range is wound down soon.

As for sleeper lengths, OO is too narrow & scale sleepers emphasise this. Shortening the sleepers to 32mm disguises it a little.

(How did this bit pop into the conversation anyway?). 

Peco streamline concrete sleeper track is HO scale, which is why some prefer to space the sleepers out.

I can see where you are coming from in one way but you fail to understand that some modellers are members of these societies, and parts which the society are applicable to all gauges in 4 mm scale, just be thankful that the societies are making then available and of course it helps with sales

My latest layout was going to be in 00SF, but as you say building it to EM gauge looks better and my stock being kit built is easy to convert, in some cases its just widening the wheels, Romford Drivers just require new axles etc, but this is digressing

Helping Phil out at some southern shows, C&L are well supported by 00 gauge modellers, he has introduced 00 roller gauges with the correct 1.25 mm check rail gaps and now is stocking common crossings with 1.25 mm flangeways. Plus he has introduced a brand new flexitrack for 00 gauge modellers with keys, no other gauge has flexitrack with keys !!

• Like 1