Which Way Did The Coal Go?

RBAGE

I am modelling a stretch of East Coast Main Line in the 1960's and early 1970's.

To try and make operations as realistic as possible I am trying to to find information on specific movements.

Having failed to find evidence of the route used for Consett iron ore when the normal route was closed at Beamish, I thought I should have a look at something else. Coal.

Can anyone help with the direction of loaded and unloaded coal movements on the ECML at Newton Hall Junction, just north of Durham station? Any information on these operations for ECML throughout or any that might use the line that diverges at Newton Hall Junction would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Bob

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

I am modelling a stretch of East Coast Main Line in the 1960's and early 1970's.

To try and make operations as realistic as possible I am trying to to find information on specific movements.

Having failed to find evidence of the route used for Consett iron ore when the normal route was closed at Beamish, I thought I should have a look at something else. Coal.

Can anyone help with the direction of loaded and unloaded coal movements on the ECML at Newton Hall Junction, just north of Durham station? Any information on these operations for ECML throughout or any that might use the line that diverges at Newton Hall Junction would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Bob

Believe that was Blackhill, but maybe not correct?  Genetically, most coal went 'Up' and most empties were 'Down' on the ECML, however as far as I remember,  there was a lot of Durham area coal taken to the Tyne Docks for export/boat transport elsewhere so sort of sideways. Does that help?

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Believe that was Blackhill, but maybe not correct?  Genetically, most coal went 'Up' and most empties were 'Down' on the ECML, however as far as I remember,  there was a lot of Durham area coal taken to the Tyne Docks for export/boat transport elsewhere so sort of sideways. Does that help?

I have photographs on a long dead computer of ore trains at Relly Mill Junction and the banker at Lanchester at the time of the accident at Beamish so workings through my Newton Hall Junction layout are assured. The problem I have is confirming whether they went the length of the ECML from Gateshead or went up the old A1 and then onto the connecting line to Newton Hall Junction. That one is still up in the air.

With regard to coal, any images I've seen south of Durham support your up and down suggestion but your question of export or shipped coal from a number of ports is the proverbial fly in the ointment. Plus, the diverging line on my layout adds to the confusion. I am taking the liberty of retaining a colliery that closed long before the 1960's that was served by the diverging lines and I'm not sure which way that coal will have gone. Probably east, towards Sunderland.

I'll be scratching my head on this one for a while, I think.

Thanks for your reply.