Hornby chinese 8f chassis

sej

I want to source a Hornby 8F chassis to complete a Golden Arrow Urie G16 and I've forgotten how to identify the Chinese built version which is specified in the instructions. Can anyone help with catalogue numbers etc?

Cheers

Simon

3 hours ago, AlexHolt said:

The Chinese built version will have flanges on all wheels and much finer valve gear than on the wrenn/Hornby offering. 

Current catalogue numbers are R3564 and R3565

Previous catalogue numbers are;  R2228,R2229, R2395, R2249

In all honesty these aren't the easiest to find, they don't turn up on ebay too often and when they do they will be a bit on the pricey side.

Edit:

Found some 8Fs on ebay that may be of use. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R2394-LMS-8F-Class-Locomotive-8453-Black-OO-Scale-Boxed/233314822662

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-gauge-NEAR-MINT-Hornby-R2394-8F-2-8-0-Freight-LMS-Black-8453-BOXED/323974866154

These are the two cheapest Chinese 8Fs I can find on ebay. Can't find just the chassis on its own at the moment.

I'm not sure that your first paragraph is correct.

Are you saying that all (Triang) Hornby (as opposed to Hornby Dublo / Wrenn) 8Fs were made in China? Were none made in Margate before the transfer of production to China?

Why, then, would Golden Arrow specify a Chinese built Hornby 8F chassis? I'm sure it wasn't to differentiate it from a Hornby Dublo / Wrenn 8F, which is an entirely different beast.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I think there is a bit of misunderstanding.

They mean the new version of the Hornby model as opposed to the older version as the older version was tender drive (1980s and 1990s version). A bit pointless putting a tender drive chassis under a body kit of a tank engine....

http://www.hornbyguide.com/service_sheet_details.asp?sheetid=117

Jason

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, AlexHolt said:

It is correct. The Chinese built 8Fs have flanges on all wheels. The Hornby tender drive and the wrenn offerings had flangeless centre driving wheels and much thicker connecting rods which were held in with screws rather than the smaller hexagonal ones that are used now. 

The "wrenn / Hornby" reference implied, to me at least, the old Hornby Dublo model - not the pre-China Tri-ang Hornby tender drive model.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

The mechanism choice was probably made when it was a big choice of the 8F or WD 2-8-0s for an eight coupled RTR loco drive mechanism, and the 8F was the one with spoked wheels.

The choice is rather better now, both Hornby's O1 and Bachmann's S&DJR 7F might be practical alternatives? Admittedly it would be 'paddle your own canoe' time when it came to conversion to fit under the G16 body, with adaption of the supplied parts to a different mechanism.