Railmatch acrylic paints discontinued?

I was in my local shop recently looking to get a pot of Railmatch 2255 EWS Maroon only to be told that the shopkeeper couldnt order it from his supplier as it has been discontinued!

I was wondering if anybody knows if it has been discontinued by Railmatch of just my local shops supplier.

Any help would be appreciated, I am only looking for the acrylic paints, I have no interest in enamels, sprays or any other kind of paints beyond acrylics.

Fox Transfers are only showing 54 Acrylics but  157 Enamels from Railmatch and they normally stock the full range so something is ammis with the Acrylic range.

Personally I only use their Enamels, perhaps the Acrylics didn't sell as well as the Enamels.

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, brossard said:

PollyS (also discontinued :angry:) had Wisconsin Central Maroon.  IIRC, EWS and WC were owned by the same corporation and the livery colours were the same.

John

According to their website Model Junction at Slough still have WC Maroon in stock:

https://www.modeljunction.info/paint/4986-polly-scale-railroad-acrylics-wisconsin-central-maroon-1oz-30ml-bottle.html

oops just realised you're a long way from Slough!  If anyone in the UK wants it they still have it!

Edited by Metr0Land

• RMweb Premium

Just took a look at my local emporium's website and there are a few of the Acrylics missing which if they no longer list them (in stock or not) usually means that is it.  The enamel version of EWS maroon is still there though.

• RMweb Gold

I believe there is a worldwide shortage of one or two chemicals that are used in the production of plastic products, such as acrylic paint.

So hopefully the availability problems are just temporary.

(The same chemical shortages might partly explain why so many new models are being delayed.)

• RMweb Gold

Might be time for a return to traditional paint formulas. I was initially impressed with the performance of acrylics but have returned to using Precision paints for much of my painting. I find mixing, spraying and performance much better than acrylics (Railmatch acrylics in particular).

The main advantage acrylics had, in my mind at least, was cleaning up which was handy because you’re cleaning up pretty much all the time. I used to find cleaning airbrushes of enamel paint a bind but an industrial quality of cellulose thinners solves that problem.

Rob

• Agree 1

For me there is nothing between the one and the other in all things until you get to the smell of oil based paints, be they enamels or lacquers.

I think its about time the industry completely dropped the oil based paints and focused on the acrylics as its only a matter of time before they die out anyway because they are oil based.

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, ElectroSoldier said:

For me there is nothing between the one and the other in all things until you get to the smell of oil based paints, be they enamels or lacquers.

I think its about time the industry completely dropped the oil based paints and focused on the acrylics as its only a matter of time before they die out anyway because they are oil based.

I understand your point....... Paint technology needs to improve (both in terms of environmental impact and performance) but acrylics, as they stand, are far from environmentally friendly.

Griff

• RMweb Premium

I have to admit I prefer old paint mixes with their admittedly nasty chemicals, lead, etc both domestic decorating and modelling versions because at least back then they were much more reliable.

Quite a lot of paints being produced today are quite frankly rather naff...

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Acrylic paints are also based on oil of course.

However, "oil-based" doesn't necessarily mean petro-chemical based. There are various manufacturers removing solvents completely from their paints (so less smelly fumes) and using plant based oils such as sunflower oil and linseed oil.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 05/01/2020 at 10:01, John M Upton said:

I have to admit I prefer old paint mixes with their admittedly nasty chemicals, lead, etc both domestic decorating and modelling versions because at least back then they were much more reliable.

Quite a lot of paints being produced today are quite frankly rather naff...

There are indeed, and to be quite frank its nice to see so many manufacturers doing so many products these days. I am probably just like you from a time when there where very few manufacturers producing hobby paints whos colours shades and hues where on the dubious side a lot of the time...
Airfix and Humbrol where the mainstay of course and they are still around today. Is that what you go with today? or do you prefer something more esoteric? 

On 05/01/2020 at 10:11, Harlequin said:

Acrylic paints are also based on oil of course.

However, "oil-based" doesn't necessarily mean petro-chemical based. There are various manufacturers removing solvents completely from their paints (so less smelly fumes) and using plant based oils such as sunflower oil and linseed oil.

I wasnt expecting pedanticism when I  wrote that as I was rather hoping that my use of the word oil would be taken to mean the petro chemical based oil paints such as enamels and lacquers which stink to high heaven when compared to the likes of Vallejo and Citadel paints. Tamiya while being based mostly on alcohol have a rather pungent smell and I prefer not to use them. I suppose its rather along the same lines as RailMatch thinners however I find the smell over all isnt as bad as enamels and lacquers.

On 05/01/2020 at 15:54, Nickey Line said:

Traditional pigments are also potentially hazardous though, even though lead and arsenic are no longer used. Cobalt, cadmium, chromium etc.

I started on pigment based paints, my father taught me to mix my own colours while I was still a child as he was an artist who mixed his own paints up from base materials.
Not something I would want to do these days when there are so many perfectly useable offerings on the shelves of our wonderful model shops.