Connoisseur Loriot M Dia G14, Details

brossard

I had a quick look round but didn't find anything specific to my question.

My friend just received the subject kit:  http://www.jimmcgeown.com/Wagon Kit Pages/GWR Loriot M Lowmac.html

We were poring over it last night and the brake gear layout is uncertain.  The wagon appears to have clasp brakes but only two yokes and two pairs of brake shoes are supplied with the kit.  The instructions seem to indicate that there is only one pair of brake shoes per wheel set.  I'm wondering whether things have been "edited" in the kit.

I would also like to know how the brake levers connect to the brakes.  From what I've read so far, they seem to be independent DCII brakes.

Hoping someone can shed light on this.

John

Hi John,

just had a look in my copy of Atkins, Beard & Tourret, and I think Jim’s right.  They had a single yoke on each axle, (diagrams 110 & 111 on page 152).  

It appears that the brake levers were on a common shaft, each side at the same end (not opposite corners) and the brake blocks were the side of the wheels away from the brake levers, which is exactly what the instructions show.

Interesting nugget;  if you want a unique model, reduce the width to 8’, and it becomes a G18, otherwise identical. Bet nobody else has one!

HNY

Simon

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks Simon, all the best for 2020.  We were looking at the usual books, probably including the one you refer to.  I will have to have a think about it.

The model is intended for my friend to try his hand at etched brass kit building so we'll probably keep it simple for now.

John

John,

happy to help,

ABT is the GWR wagon bible, and well worth the price.  Hate to think what shipping to Quebec would cost!

image.jpg.ba57c4bd1cf803237e39f65f18caba94.jpg

the cat is a bonny beast of around 5 kilos, and I reckon the book’s heavier...

HNY

Simon

• Like 2

Here is my brief survey...

Loriot.jpg.6f799474b136a52aaa5a21b401aee6c4.jpg

My 'To Do' list when visiting this type of wagon; Lowmac Weltrol etc with single axles will be to look at the brakework.

Numerous questions.

With the Loriot N and its lever handbrake, was there one block or two.

With blocks visible from the end of the wagon, were there always blocks on the inside...

There were several arrangements.  Some well wagons had the blocks between the wheels like a typical wagon, some had them like the description above, and I think some had them outside pulling inwards. And, as Ernie said, some had clasp brakes.  

The rodding was complicated by the structure of the well.  You need to check your prototype!

nice cats!

HNY

Simon

Edited by Simond
  • Like 1

Splendid pictures Jon, thank you.  I'm thinking it's not the M.  It is vacuum braked, BR manufactured some of these.  However the brake links and mounting points should provide some valuable clues.  Also the underframe bracing is a good thing to know, we were talking about doing that.

Yes, Simon, the books we were perusing have a plethora of different types, all of which seem to be different.

John

On 31/12/2019 at 08:17, jonhall said:

I'm not totally sure what this example is (at Didcot) but I think it should be clear enough how the various bits should sit.

Jon

GWR loriot061.jpg

GWR loriot064.jpg

GWR loriot066.jpg

GWR loriot069.jpg

Jon,

Really interesting pictures.  Apart from the brakes, a couple of observations:

Above each axle fixed to the inner longitudinals are what appear to be 'things' to support the axle if a spring broke' or the wagon was overloaded.  I have only seen these previously on a GW fruit van on the SVR.  

On the outer longitudinals are door springs or 'bangers, so that narrows it down to the 1917 Hydra D 42193...

Back to the issue in hand, the brakes are most interesting, so a trip to Didcot, has been added to the 2020 list.  Do you have any more pictures of the brakework?   Was there a rod running between the sets of brakework at each end (to transfer the vacuum brake force to the 'other end').

RSVP

Many thanks

Ernie

9 hours ago, The Bigbee Line said:

Jon,

Really interesting pictures.  Apart from the brakes, a couple of observations:

Above each axle fixed to the inner longitudinals are what appear to be 'things' to support the axle if a spring broke' or the wagon was overloaded.  I have only seen these previously on a GW fruit van on the SVR.  

On the outer longitudinals are door springs or 'bangers, so that narrows it down to the 1917 Hydra D 42193...

Back to the issue in hand, the brakes are most interesting, so a trip to Didcot, has been added to the 2020 list.  Do you have any more pictures of the brakework?   Was there a rod running between the sets of brakework at each end (to transfer the vacuum brake force to the 'other end').

RSVP

Many thanks

Ernie

I'd assumed the 'saddles' for the axles were so that if the wagon was loaded from one end it wouldn't break springs.

The door bangers puzzled me.

Those are all the photos I have, it was difficult lighting being mostly in a shed, and with a boiler on top - I think there is a trnsfer rod, it starts above the axle in the 5th photo, and you can see a loop to catch it if it fell off under one of the inner longditudinals in photo 7.

Jon