Britains Most Scenic Railway Journey, Minute by Minute

melmerby

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, HSB said:

Looks like it could be same as the programme on Quest on Christmas Day. Certainly the same subject and the same length!

I've got the one recorded from Quest.

I'm not bothering with the C5 one because it looked so similar.

they've picked some terrible camera positions for showing off the scenery... two inside the cab, one showing the wheels, one either side of the boiler so that's blocking the view, one at the back of the tender so you can't see the track...  I can only assume they've not watched the NRK train journeys (which at 7 & 10hrs are long, but worth it) to see how it should be done.

• Like 1

Seems it was filmed at a different time of year to the Quest channel version  - the C5 version appears to be in Summer, Quest's looked like it was in Autumn. I enjoyed the Quest channel's one as there were no adverts for the whole two hours.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Coppercap said:

Seems it was filmed at a different time of year to the Quest channel version  - the C5 version appears to be in Summer, Quest's looked like it was in Autumn. I enjoyed the Quest channel's one as there were no adverts for the whole two hours.

I had a go at running the Quest recording alongside the C5 live and found the same bit of track, but the camera positions used were different.

At first I thought it was going to be like a series on Ocean Liners some years ago on Channel 4? and also shown on Sky/Discovery? Both were made by the same team and used some of the same footage but was edited differently

Actually, I rather enjoyed watching both programmes although it's strange that two TV channels should show such similar railway programmes within a few days of each other! The line was also featured in the 'Great Scottish Scenic Railways' programme a few weeks ago so it's certainly getting plenty of free publicity at the moment!

• RMweb Gold

I didn't realize that the two would be different. I thought it would be a repeat. Will have to look for the first one on catch-up. The things I didn't like were the fireman's breakfast and the chuffs out of sync on leaving Glenfinnan.

• RMweb Premium

Just watched the Quest version.

Quite enjoyed it. Even SWMBO wached and was reasonably interested.

It was almost filmed in real time as the station clocks matched closely with the running time of the programme.

The programme was a few minutes less than The actual journey.

Loco chuffs were syncronised OK.

I now know where the clank-clank sound comes from on a slow moving steam loco, you could see the connecting rod physically move from side to side on it's crankpin, co-inciding with the clanks. I'm surprised you get that much movement that it would be visible.

Also as mentioned earlier there were no adverts (unusual for a Discovery programme)

Edited by melmerby

Just watching the Channel 5 version and it's quite mesmeric. I think the camera locations are really good for showing the magnificent scenery, with, so far, none of the problems noted for the rival production. Even the view from the back of the tender lends considerable atmosphere when going through the various tunnels. I have just been slightly non-plussed as the train left Arisaig through points set the wrong way, presumably sprung for the passing loop. I like the occasional annotations for the lateral scenic shots, with names of key features and information about the length and depth of the lochs. Surprised to see the fireman left the firebox coal hole doors open through most of the trip; I thought that it was dangerous to leave them open in case of blow back. Pity about he adverts!

• Like 1

I loved it, just finished watching it on the Sky box. I did a few fast forwards, but still fun.

Ambient TV! Brian Eno would be proud.

Did it remind anyone of that channel (German I think) from the old Astra analogue satellite which used to show film from the front of a train throughout the night?

• RMweb Premium

I just watched it and thought it was one of the most relaxing pieces of TV I’ve seen .  Thoroughly enjoyed it . Yes I think the view from the back of the tender and the camera view of the motion was a bit over used , but these are small observations .  Really loved it

Still available online on My5

An unforgettable journey from the foothills of Ben Nevis, down the West Highlands route to meet the sea at the coastal port of Mallaig.

https://www.my5.tv/britain-s-most-scenic-railway-journey-minute-by-minute/season-1/britain-s-most-scenic-railway-journey-minute-by-minute

I much enjoyed the two similar episodes of All The Stations.

Episode 55, Day 101 - Glascow to Corrour

It's 15th August and it's finally time to leave Glasgow and head ... into the highlands. To Oban and beyond, where we stay the night at the highest station in Britain, it's Corrour! Which was always going to be amazing, and the location of where 'Trainspotting' was filmed - it was always going to be the ultimate tick!

• RMweb Gold

I enjoyed both programmes.  It was a bold decision of Quest to screen without adverts in the whole two hours and I applaud their decision. Hope it paid off in terms of viewing figures.

The Channel 5 programme was also very good, slightly different in style but most watchable. Our Toshiba PVR has an edit function which allowed me to remove the adverts. The 2 hour elapsed broadcast has come down to 1 hour 34 minutes. 

• RMweb Premium

As there is very little money made from advertising on Christmas day it made sense for Quest to show it then, it nicely filled a two hour slot.

They also showed a load of episodes of Railroad Australia (season 2) on one day, which I still haven't got round to watching.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, 2mmMark said:

The Channel 5 programme was also very good, slightly different in style but most watchable. Our Toshiba PVR has an edit function which allowed me to remove the adverts. The 2 hour elapsed broadcast has come down to 1 hour 34 minutes. 

The repeat was less than 1hr 50m, so presumably less adverts.

I usually reckon on 43m for 1hour of mainstream commercial TV (ITV, C4, C5),

However the Quest programme was nigh on two hours continuous, with no breaks, so was either intended as a 2hr break free programme or maybe a 2hr 30m+ with ads.

Episode 56, Day 102 - Corrour to Inverness

It's the 16th August, and having stayed the night at Corrour we head north to Fort William, and then get the boat over to Skye, meet local Mark who talks Gaelic to us, and then gives us a ride to the Kyle of Lochalsh, so we can get the train to Inverness.