Scratch built lanky signal box

Found the unicorn!!

There was a thread in 2012 titled "Hudson Tipper in EM, take2" which is essentially a review of the RT model. It includes links to several photographs from the Bartlett collection. The last one is from a Hudson catalogue showing the brake variation mi previously described. There is also one with mixed axles but I have seen others. Just can't remember where!

2 hours ago, doilum said:

Found the unicorn!!

There was a thread in 2012 titled "Hudson Tipper in EM, take2" which is essentially a review of the RT model. It includes links to several photographs from the Bartlett collection. The last one is from a Hudson catalogue showing the brake variation mi previously described. There is also one with mixed axles but I have seen others. Just can't remember where!

This one you mean?

They're nice kits (I have two more to do in the drawer - between those they'll be sufficient spares to make up one of the variations - unbraked and/or welded). These were built by Hudsons from scratch (though I suppose some wheelsets might have been recycled).

Adam

9 minutes ago, Adam said:

This one you mean?

They're nice kits (I have two more to do in the drawer - between those they'll be sufficient spares to make up one of the variations - unbraked and/or welded). These were built by Hudsons from scratch (though I suppose some wheelsets might have been recycled).

Adam

Thats the one. I think the buffer units might have been pre used too. They led a hard life, were pretty unloved by all accounts and easily repaired with a gas axe and what ever was available in the wagon shop.

18 minutes ago, Ruston said:

I built one with the screw brake system. The 1957 Robert Hudson catalogue includes a diagram of all the parts and that's what I worked from. This one is in 7mm scale.

image.png.4299392d55c1641635fb7b5b29f952f3.png

Thats a nice model Dave. I think I might order a load of wheelsets from Wizard & have a batch build session in the new year.

Primrose needs a few to shunt.

37 minutes ago, Ruston said:

I built one with the screw brake system. The 1957 Robert Hudson catalogue includes a diagram of all the parts and that's what I worked from. This one is in 7mm scale.

image.png.4299392d55c1641635fb7b5b29f952f3.png

Is the screw visible or is it a shaft linked to a central gearbox? I think I am correct in assuming that all the brakes are worked from the single wheel. I realized this afternoon that although I built one this way I  never sorted out the control mechanism.  It also needs the tyre reattaching to the wheel as it is sat at an odd angle in the display cabinet. Must be a weather related expansion issue.

• 1 month later...

Last night I finally sat down to work some more on one of my industrials. Primrose has been put aside for now as I'm still having issues with it. I'm going to stripe the wheels off & requarter them. 

Anyway I made a start putting the rest of the details to a rt models sentinel I built. Its a lovely slow runner it just needs finishing off. Another few sessions & it should be ready for some paint. I'm going to do it as one of the Whiflet foundry ones in blue & red. The only difference is I'm going to name it Fred after my little boy Freddie.

20220105_184118.jpg.2aeef7eff214f4ef38913a04ffcdd854.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• Simon Moore changed the title to Industrials in EM, RT Models Sentinel

The Sentinel is now in primer & ready for a blast of French blue this afternoon. I've also delved into the kit pile to remind myself of what I actually have & to see what might be a nice next build. 

I've dug this little critter out, 

20220107_112003.jpg.b39a57f5b8695d6c4c8bcfcbc3853c32.jpg

I saw it advertised when Mike had just produced it & managed to get the last one from the first batch. I've got wheels & buffers for it & just ordered the high level motor etc. I'm going to return the jackshaft for a em one as I ordered it for p4 when attempting to model in that scale. 

I know it will be a lovely build as all Mike's kits are so should be fun. I've a part built metro tank to build for a friend so I will start this whilst waiting on some parts & then when I need a break from the other build I can turn to this one again. 

• Like 3

I've put the sentinel into its first coat of paint. I've used humbrol 14 french blue which is a bit bright & probably the wrong shade. I'm hoping once finished & matt varnished it should knock it back along with weathering to finish it off.20220107_153156.jpg.cb414b1bccfdfc2499fbf3bf7cb35d47.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Simon Moore said:

The Sentinel is now in primer & ready for a blast of French blue this afternoon. I've also delved into the kit pile to remind myself of what I actually have & to see what might be a nice next build. 

I've dug this little critter out, 

20220107_112003.jpg.b39a57f5b8695d6c4c8bcfcbc3853c32.jpg

I saw it advertised when Mike had just produced it & managed to get the last one from the first batch. I've got wheels & buffers for it & just ordered the high level motor etc. I'm going to return the jackshaft for a em one as I ordered it for p4 when attempting to model in that scale. 

I know it will be a lovely build as all Mike's kits are so should be fun. I've a part built metro tank to build for a friend so I will start this whilst waiting on some parts & then when I need a break from the other build I can turn to this one again. 

It’s back in stock now.

26 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

Compensation is easy and always worth the effort in a four wheel loco.

This rt sentinel has built in compensation & it shows with its slow running qualities. I might go the whole hog & fit some high level space saver blocks I've got here in stock. I tried your beams but I just couldn't get them to work satisfactory. 

• RMweb Premium

What exactly was the problem? The beams fit against the inside of the frames (they benefit from some form of strap to hold them against the frame plates), bearing surfaces increased by soldering the bushes to their inside faces. Plenty of grease where you don't want the solder to go helps here. It's a foolproof system I've used for more than 40 years, I used to do it when scratchbuilding, making the coupling rods first and then jig drilling everything else from them but etching does all that for you - it wasn't my idea, I first saw it in a 7mm Ravenscale West Country kit and later in Kemilway's Ivatt 4MT frame kit for the Airfix kit. It also usefully limits the axle movement - most other compensation systems give far too much, .5mm is easily enough for our purposes.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

40 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

What exactly was the problem? The beams fit against the inside of the frames (they benefit from some form of strap to hold them against the frame plates), bearing surfaces increased by soldering the bushes to their inside faces. Plenty of grease where you don't want the solder to go helps here. It's a foolproof system I've used for more than 40 years, I used to do it when scratchbuilding, making the coupling rods first and then jig drilling everything else from them but etching does all that for you - it wasn't my idea, I first saw it in a 7mm Ravenscale West Country kit and later in Kemilway's Ivatt 4MT frame kit for the Airfix kit. It also usefully limits the axle movement - most other compensation systems give far too much, .5mm is easily enough for our purposes.

It was the flopping about I'd never thought of putting some scrap on the side frames. I will give it a whirl on this next build.

• RMweb Premium

Others have put tube over the axles to keep the beams apart, I've seen springs suggested but I think this would increase friction too much and inhibit the action. I use scrap etch or sometimes wire to make these, still thinking of a way of incorporating them into the kit design.

WP_20190219_18_41_17_Pro.jpg.5bcba92f814660cdda6a326280f328a3.jpg

Brass wire straps fitted to Stanier 3P frames, bearings not added at this stage.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

Yesterday I got a fair amount done on the model, I actually got all the paintwork done & matt varnish on so it's now just a case of window surrounds painting & fitting, a nameplate & weathering. I'm going to leave it for now, I had a rough night last night with backache so it's it's day or rest today.

20220109_091051.jpg.bc0041bae21d66a384df3c3adf866661.jpg20220109_091044.jpg.5ae0fc1e90bc7ae6ae7a748df08ef41b.jpg20220109_091028.jpg.d26c5d11c6cf2bb5343b73237da61d56.jpg

That's all for now, the next job is making the frames for the drewery.

• Like 13