Scratch built lanky signal box

Sb67

Try something simple 0-4-0 or an 0-6-0 no valve gear. Plenty of info on here to learn. My advice is stick to markits wheels, self quartering will take some of the hard work out of the build. They are also nickel silver so wont rust if your soldering around them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Which wheelbase is the long boiler and what size wheels? You seem to have a considerable gap betwen the flanges there. Thanks for putting the photos on here, especially the big Hunslet diesel - we don't sell very many of them.

Hi Michael if I'm honest I cant remember on the wheel sizes I rang markits & told them what size spoke etc & they sent me these. I've used the plus 5 frames as it says to in the instructions.

The big hunslet is a belting bit of kit, the laminations to get the thickness of the bufferbeams & frames give it some real weight. I am actually hoping I can finish that one as a normanby park machine, I used to race speedway at normanby park. They've still a few ladel wagons dotted about as a memorial to the past of the site. 

Lots of kits to build mainly from yourself Michael. Ps I dont suppose you fancy doing some kits for the Lambton railway 0-6-2's they are the holy grail of kits for me.

Edited by Rhb Simon

I started this RT models Thomas Hill vanguard but never got it finished off. I've had a few 20 minute sessions in the garage getting it sorted out. 

I've fitted new pick ups, painted the cab interior & buffers along with a set of couplings. Every last bit of space under the chassis has been stuffed with lead making this little critter a very, very smooth slow runner. A nice interesting prototype to run on my micro Salts Wharf layout.

20200101_130433.jpg

Edited by Rhb Simon
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Having dug out the hunslet 562hp shunter it's not far away from finishing at all so I've decided to get it finishing off before continuing on the Kitson.

I've stuck a set of wheels under it that luckily I had in another kit which was correct size & spoke. I've soldered up the rods this evening & tested the chassis & all is well. The gearbox & motor are already made so I can crack on & get it finished. 

20200101_185412.jpg

20200101_185136.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Tonight I've not gone the railway club I've had a very productive session on the big hunslet. I've managed to more or less finish all the solder work on the body. The handrails were interesting but its nearing completion although the handrails are not perfect.

I am hoping to have the chassis finished & the body castings fitted ready for painting on sunday evening.

I'm going to attempt to make my own transfer for the model to see if I can do it myself.

20200102_193447.jpg

20200102_193442.jpg

20200102_193434.jpg

Edited by Rhb Simon
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

6 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

Handrails are a real pain on this one but I can't suggest an easier way to reproduce them.

Having looked at it I think the ones closest to the cab on the buffers I'm going to replace, im not happy with them. Other than that it's ok. 

I've been busy on the Hunslet these past few days & got a lot done.

The bodywork is now at the first stages of painting. Ive had a bit of a headache with this model because of the green colour.

Michael has helped with some colour photos & every single one is different in shade from pea to beige green. 

I've had a chat with a member of the Appleby Froddingham steam society & he has done a Janus in humbrol beige green which is close to one of the photos of the 562hp.

Anyway I've put the yellow & white onto the body & I will leave that to cure for a few days. Itll give me chance to get the beige green paint in. I'm now hoping I get a Brighouse run this week in the wagon. I can stop at 2k technologies in Hipperholme on the way for the paint.

This loco wasnt top of my priorities if I'm honest but I'm glad I picked it back up. It's a superb kit & a very interesting prototype. I hope I can do the paintwork justice. 

20200105_110512.jpg

20200105_213446.jpg

20200105_213452.jpg

Edited by Rhb Simon
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

The colour photos are scanned from Hunslet slides, colour reproduction of these is very variable. Normanby Park must have been the least photographed  steelworks location and I only have two (poor b/w) photos of the Hunslets actually working. They weren't very successful and had a very short life, much of their equipment was standard with the Bo-Bos and no doubt went into the spares pool on scrapping.

I'm currently working on drawings for the 0-8-0 Sentinels at Normanby Park and struggling to find good photos of these as well, if anyone here has some I'd be very grateful.

Michael I will ask someone who I've been chatting to about Scunthorpes locos se if he has anything.

Right I've sprayed on some green this evening. I've used the photo of clem which is the lightest of the greens & mixed up something that's a bit like. 

Hopefully once its finished it'll look the part.

20200106_204353.jpg

20200106_204009.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

13 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

The colour photos are scanned from Hunslet slides, colour reproduction of these is very variable. Normanby Park must have been the least photographed  steelworks location and I only have two (poor b/w) photos of the Hunslets actually working. They weren't very successful and had a very short life, much of their equipment was standard with the Bo-Bos and no doubt went into the spares pool on scrapping.

I'm currently working on drawings for the 0-8-0 Sentinels at Normanby Park and struggling to find good photos of these as well, if anyone here has some I'd be very grateful.

Hi Michael, I take it that the 0-8-0 sentinel is from the drawing I sent over to you at andrew briddons ? 

I think we have a few photos in the afrps collection if you would like me to take a look thought them. May take some time but I can see what I can dig up

Andrew

Afrps publicity coordinator 

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I started from that drawing and Pete has since found some more for me including the short wheelbase ones. Trouble is there aren't too many parts in common between them so I'm starting with the Scunthorpe lwb - but all the others were swb.

I would be grateful for any photos you can find.

Back on topic with the Hunslet, that colour looks about right to me at the moment but beware that our perception of colour changes as different ones are added to the model.

• Like 2

Michael it was the closest I could get. Only black to go & wasp stripes which sould be done this week. 

Sunday evening will be chassis work which wont be a big job as most of it is done. 

Its turned into a very fun project has this one, it's a super kit & you get a lot of model for not much money. I hope this thread might get you a few more sold.

• Like 2

I had a late finish today from work so after a day of driving a artic truck I wasnt for doing much but I managed a little bit on the big Hunslet.

I've started the wasp striping & I've painted the handrails which has already made the model pop. I also started the footplate floor with some black but my eyes finally gave up so I decided to stop before I made a mess.

20200107_203519.jpg

20200107_203531.jpg

20200107_203738.jpg

20200107_203746.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

I've not done a great deal this week I've been so busy driving I've not had any energy when I get home.

Mark Seward has done a sterling job on my transfers they look ace. Michael Edge kindly sent me the text & logo in a format that Mark could then print them from.

The wife said she was taking the kids out this morning giving me a free morning to go into the workshop & get cracking, a bonus was the transfers turned up to so I tried one on the side as I had 3 sets.

I've finished & painted the chassis although it needs the gearbox adding & pick ups. Sunday is my workshop time & tomorrow I'm going to get the last of the painting done then monday I can gloss varnish the body ready for transfers. 

My aim is to get this finished by next weekend, it's really coming together now is the model.

20200111_173813.jpg

20200111_123400.jpg

• Like 11