Scratch built lanky signal box

I went in the workshop & i wasn't sure what i was doing to be honest & then i picked up the rt models vangaurd that i built some years ago. I converted it to p4 so i decided it was time to totally finish it off.

20210218_212113.jpg.ff55c6fe4281af6d224a038ba749c237.jpg

I added a crew to the model, handrails missing from the rear of the cab, glazing & then i had some nameplates in a bag that i stuck on for good measure. The last job was to glue the roof on. If i get chance i will weather it tonight just lightly to add a bit of muck to it.

Nice kit & very happy with it.

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

I had this Branchlines Muir Hill lurking in a cupboard i bought from a friend some years ago. My intention was to convert it to EM but as i am now moving to P4 i decided to convert it to 18.83.

I placed an order with the society stores & the wheels arrived this morning so i converted the model in an hour or so. Dead easy conversion & a nice little critter. 

20210227_134041.jpg.dd9dcaa32ecdd8f37c359569fd9d71c1.jpg20210227_132920.jpg.e676992b2d0af00ecc1567183dcc26f5.jpg 

• Like 6

On 02/02/2021 at 21:58, Rhb Simon said:

Today has been very productive with a session this afternoon & a nice long session this evening. I am amazed how quickly this model has come together & how far i have got with it.

Its been a lovely model to work on & like anything Chris puts together its always a joy to put together. Industrial modellers are spoilt between Mike edge & Chris Gibbons designing the kits that they do. 

I am really looking forward to another session on this lovely little kit, its been very enjoyable so far.20210202_211217.jpg.5fb1f9f79fac926b61226b2e9eff4f7c.jpg

Enjoying the thread Simon - just one note and FYI -  that prototype loco looks very much like the larger design with 16'' cylinders offered by HL (and later RS&H). 

Paul 

• 2 weeks later...

I hadn't noticed that Paul, i will keep building it as is. I am sure it will be acceptable once finished. I actually need to get a weave on with that model it has sat waiting for further progress well over a month.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working on a RT Models Stanton slag ladle recently & attempting to build it in P4. The wheels were the first obstacle to pass as they are a markits wheels for 00. A member of the scalefour society offered to help & reprofiled them to P4 for me. I then had to get some replacement silver steel bar to make the longer axles with. This arrived the other day & i made a start. 

When i had it built it would not negotiate my A5 point & after a few mods & alterations it is working well with a home brewed springing system. 

20210318_200934.jpg.9c45a291f2d950b5116fb050a72f4f15.jpg

20210318_200943.jpg.5e32c5228577e275ff05a5594e00002d.jpg

My main problem was the point was not level due to height differences between the C&L flex track & copperclad point. A shim of card under the point has solved the problem & yesterday the track was glued to the timber.

20210321_212350.jpg.dedfc441ab8140932eb8afd8026b0477.jpg

Tonight's job is to wire the turnout & get it all up & running so i can properly test everything. 

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
On 04/02/2021 at 00:06, Portchullin Tatty said:

Another option you might want to use is to have a set of Markit/Romford wheels for use in setting up chassis. 

They do manufacture P4 length axles and of course these wheels to go on and come back off many times for multiple locomotives without any real bother (and you have the advantage that you can test the chassis comfortable that quartering is not a problem)

Generally Mark, I would agree with you and I certainly would have agreed with you without question, prior to the construction of my OO 16XX pannier during 2020. After days of tearing my hair out, wondering why a simple OO 0-6-0 chassis (built in a jig) wouldn't run properly, I realised that one of the Markits wheelsets wasn't correctly quartered. This was the first time I had ever experienced this.

A replacement wheelset completely sorted out the problem.

With a day off work today i decided to spend some time in my workshop & finish off the RT Models slag ladle.

After a few alterations & a home brewed springing system it runs superbly even at high speed. 

20210325_134245.jpg.70a7f23b5b9b70eb19dd7760f6533900.jpg

20210325_134251.jpg.35fdd4ba1b32918bed182a28e8b0640f.jpg

20210325_134301.jpg.3071f584547bd01c7a9e707accce1313.jpg

Tonight i am going to make a start on the other 3 ladles i have. It looks good behind my british steel Thomas Hill

• Like 13

Gordon my first thought on some form of compensation was to open the bottom of the bearing out so the axle could move on any uneven trackwork. This didn't work to well so i soldered a set of thin brass wires either side of the axle on the inside of the bearings. This just presses down on the axles enough to push them down the opened out bearings when lifted from the track. This system works a treat & that wagon holds the track exceptionally well even at high speeds. Possibly a first, i have never seen one of these wagons built to P4 standards before. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey up Dave

The chains are a part that needed fitting, the photo shows the model with a touch dry paint finish. I didn't want to handle it anymore than i needed too for the photos. The chains are now fitted & it is complete. 

I have another 3 to build which i made a start on the other day. I am going to work back on Primrose no2 as i have a week free now after quitting my job yesterday.

With the wife out delivering for her business & with the kids in tow too i had a free house so i retreated to the workshop. I have got Primrose no2 back out & i am off to a flyer today. I have assembled the whole of the cab & bunker, i have got the baseplate for the smokebox ready & rolled the roof section, boiler & saddle tank. 

20210327_142416.jpg.4b8795ebde2b91ea15cb920a29c2eaa6.jpg

With these sections pre rolled assembly should be rather simple & bring this kit together rapidly. I do enjoy these hunslet kits the 14inch i built was lovely.

20210327_155927.jpg

• Like 5

With the wife bagging up sweets for her business i got a bit more time in the workshop this evening knocking off just in time for the chinese to arrive. 

I have had a exceptionally productive day in the workshop today & got all the major components on the model assembled ready for final assembly tomorrow. I still have the smokebox wrapper to build but thats a simple enough job.

20210327_191148.jpg.70d75be6d6babc984b191f0364371ac7.jpg

Not a bad kit at all but then again all Mikes kits are lovely to build. 

• Like 8

• Simon Moore changed the title to P4 industrials Primrose no2

Looking good hope it getting a stove pipe chimney!. I'm afraid that by the time Mike got the 7mm version to the top of the "to do next" list I had scratch built Beatrice and Glasshoughton no 4. If I finally get round to another it will almost certainly be Primrose no2. Another " Castleford colliery loco".

Edited by doilum
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, doilum said:

Looking good hope it getting a stove pipe chimney!. I'm afraid that by the time Mike got the 7mm version to the top of the "to do next" list I had scratch built Beatrice and Glasshoughton no 4. If I finally get round to another it will almost certainly be Primrose no2. Another " Castleford colliery loco".

My only issue is the stovepipe chimney. Its not something that comes with the kit & i don't know of a casting available.

1 hour ago, Rhb Simon said:

My only issue is the stovepipe chimney. Its not something that comes with the kit & i don't know of a casting available.

A bit of scratch building around a short length of tube.  Go for a diameter that matches the lip. A slot in the lower section will allow you to form the slight conical profile. Four short lengths of wire form the buttresses at the base. A google image search for Primrose no2 loco shows it well.

I have just had a look & mine is going to have the wrong chimney. I did once try building one in 7mm that was disastrous so in 4mm i think i will give that a miss.

I am sure it will still look a nice model when its done.

This evening i have soldered the compensation beam in, pick up pads & most of the chassis detail except for the brakes which i will fit & paint once the wheels are quartered. I have painted the chassis black & the wheels have been painted red. I will let them harden off overnight & give them the white walls tomorrow once the chassis has been re assembled & tested. The gearbox is built read to go in. Looking forward to getting the chassis running & then its all downhill from there. 

I have also done some bodywork today & fitted the boiler & smokebox wrappers so the cab, boiler & smokebox are a single bolt on unit. The body is not far from being completed with just handrails & a few details needed to complete. 

With a bit of luck i might get all that finished tomorrow & then the body can progress to paint also. At this rate i might get those slag ladles built as well. 

Edited by Rhb Simon
  • Like 1

Hope the reminder isn't too late. 

The handrail holes in the underside of the tank are almost impossible to drill once everything is fixed in place. I never worked out a way of retro fitting them to Diana my first, scratch built austerity.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, doilum said:

Hope the reminder isn't too late. 

The handrail holes in the underside of the tank are almost impossible to drill once everything is fixed in place. I never worked out a way of retro fitting them to Diana my first, scratch built austerity.

The holes for the handrail pillars are etched in the tank, only need opening out a bit but I always build these tanks separately. The tank pegs into the cab front and rests on the smokebox, only finally fastened together after painting. It's also a good idea to get some weight in the tank before final assembly

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I choose Primrose no2 because it was a local engine both Peckfield & now Embsay. I have travelled behind it at Embsay too which is only a few miles away from my home. I have a rake of ten of the rt hoppers to build i have the basic chassis of the first built in p4. 

4 hours ago, Rhb Simon said:

I choose Primrose no2 because it was a local engine both Peckfield & now Embsay. I have travelled behind it at Embsay too which is only a few miles away from my home. I have a rake of ten of the rt hoppers to build i have the basic chassis of the first built in p4. 

That will keep you busy! I am most pleased with the four I have in 7mm. Don't forget to include a couple with mis matched wheels or buffers.

Inspired by this thread I got Beatrice out of her box for a quick play whilst I watched glue dry. I noticed that she has a commercial Kylpor chimney. I can only suppose that it came as an extra with my Agenoria Hudswell Clarke. Not much use to you but if there are any other ,7mm modellers thinking of having a go......

Edited by doilum