Bowes Line (Moving pictures)

I remember recording this off the TV, and the tape (remember those?) then refusing to work. I never thought to look on YouTube.

Just recently bought the IRS "Rope and Chain Haulage" book, so this is quite timely.

Regards

Stu

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Ruston said:

This film was on the television, about 30 years ago and I only caught the last three or four minutes. I've never seen it since but I found a Youtube link, posted on Facebook, today.

Enjoy

Thanks.

See also

and

Adrian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 31/12/2019 at 11:15, Caledonian said:

Absolutely fascinating - and bloody dangerous

Spragging!

I sent a link of it to a friend,  he said even the way they made tea was dangerous! 

For those interested the Springwell Bank Foot engine shed still exists, tucked in a housing estate, similar age to Tanfields Marley Hill shed but the actual footprint is older.   A few other relics survive, rope haulage doesn't however.  Worth an explore if any of you are in the area, some canny hills to stomp over with plenty to see if you know what you are looking at.  NRM's working replica Rocket was built at Bowes, Locomotion No1 was built at ICI Billingham I think?  Only cost £25.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Great find thank you for sharing. Most of the Bowes system radiating from Springwell down towards the Team Valley and Kibblesworth is still traceable and a fair bit in the other direction towards the Tyne.

It was fascinating to see what must have been Kibblesworth Colliery in operation during the film. I've never seen any pictures of it before and although its obvious that Kibblesworth is an old mining village it wasn't obvious where the colliery used to be. Like so many others I suppose.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi just picked up on this.  The Film was made in 1975 as Porcy Mane says by Amber.  It's on a wonderful DVD called The Tyne Documentaries which includes Launch (a ship being launched in Wallsend), The Bowes Line; The Last Shift about Adamsez; and Glassworks.  The DVD also has a short film about Amber - well worth a look. My copy is dated 2007.

Cheers Tim

• Informative/Useful 1