Cholsey & Moulsford (Change for Wallingford)

Nick Gough

Slightly frustrating - Saturday afternoon.

I was preparing the latest installation in the storage area, a left hand point (centre, right in the photo):

IMG_20210117_1117027_rewind.jpg.f58cbcea3a8c653c5a053f9cd5441ba3.jpg

When I found a problem with the adjacent double slip that I had glued into position the day before:IMG_20210117_1116080_rewind.jpg.348adc4c4819b303e8c18bdad4f2ac04.jpg

The blades and tiebar, on the right, had become loose and floppy, without the normal, positive switching between positions. Clearly the centering spring had come out of position during installation.

With most Peco pointwork this wouldn't be too much of a problem since the spring cover can be removed from above,and the necessary repair/adjustment carried out, before replacing the cover. Not with a double slip though. On these you can only get to the springs from below.

So I had to carefully separate the slip from the Copydex and foam underlay with a Stanley knife blade. Fortunately, I managed this without serious damage to the foam. I then had to remove the spring cover, at which point the spring shot out. Luckily I have a few spares, but these are more tricky to trim to size and insert in the slip than a normal point, and I lost another one in the process. The spring cover got a little damaged during removal but, at least, clipped back into position alright at the end.

The slip was glued back into position and seems to be working fine now.

The whole process wasn't helped as it was after dark when I found the problem and it's much more difficult to see the tiny holes for the spring in artificial light!

• Friendly/supportive 8

Starting to lay the final three loops today:

P1280284.JPG.c3c68046d4dd8db3111262907d5c952c.JPG

Also, arrived in today's post:

P1280286.JPG.f2239e3b814c2a2cb4d0c11eca82de11.JPG

I was running low and will need these to finish the loops. Normally I would just pop into one of the two local model shops for these but, of course, that's not possible now. Yes we still have two, no more than 15 minutes drive away - in opposite directions!

Edited by Nick Gough
Replacing photos
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

The last three storage loops are now in place, completing the final total of eighteen, the fourth fifth and sixth from the right:P1280291.JPG.c54354d466893b491bfaffdf96f9e883.JPG

Or from the left:

P1280293.JPG.ee1b7c323e5a3272330f49eb4c06a50d.JPG

They are operational but I will need to to improve the wiring and install some switches to allow me to use them as bi-directional, as I will for the three bi-directional loops for the main lines (these can be seen just to the left of the file in the above photo).

I now just have some kick-back sidings to put in to complete the tracks for the storage area. However, I may leave them for the time being and start on something different for a change.

In other news, the cat has found somewhere new to hide - under the layout:

P1280287.JPG.b66bd9aa33efa66bbca3f6527f4b22df.JPG

Edited by Nick Gough
Replacing photos
  • Like 12
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

I have an interest in the line from High Wycombe to Maidenhead, nothing very well developed, and when I am in a particularly silly frame of mind I think that I will model the Up platform at Maidenhead with the branch platform, set in 1894 ish.  (This would be after I have finished Traeth Mawr, the narrow gauge railway and Faversham in 1880.)  Looking at the amount of space you have and need there is no way I could even consider it.

I just love the amount of space you have and the scale length trains, it is just brilliant.  It is well thought out too.  As my son said to me once my track was laid, 'You will just scenic it up now?'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, ChrisN said:

I have an interest in the line from High Wycombe to Maidenhead, nothing very well developed, and when I am in a particularly silly frame of mind I think that I will model the Up platform at Maidenhead with the branch platform, set in 1894 ish.  (This would be after I have finished Traeth Mawr, the narrow gauge railway and Faversham in 1880.)  Looking at the amount of space you have and need there is no way I could even consider it.

I just love the amount of space you have and the scale length trains, it is just brilliant.  It is well thought out too.  As my son said to me once my track was laid, 'You will just scenic it up now?'

ChrisN,

I too have an interest in the High Wycombe to Maidenhead line, although my interest is a wee bit more modern covering the period 1960-now! (Yes, I know the line was taken up between Bourne End and High Wycombe in the 1970s!)

I was planning an 00 model in 12ft x 8ft of the Relief lines and start of the branch at Maidenhead.

However, it is not something I have the skill to do myself, and had found people to make it for me, but unfortunately Covid meant they felt it too complicated to undertake in uncertain times and we settled on another part of the Wycombe Railway. This is Thame on the Oxford extension with a second phase being a cut down version of High Wycombe.

This is now nearing construction and having been four years in a house which gave me a suitable space for a layout, I became a bit frustrated, so, after many years of planning, I have just taken delivery of an interim fictional end to end layout which I am calling Wycombe End!

If you would like to see my efforts so far, please have a look at my Thread "Lower Thames Yard"! (Taster below,)

1521637955_PaulPHOTO-2021-01-10-14-55-24-01.jpg.8886df89c439f62845417acffa45225a.jpg

Apologies to Nick for hijacking his thread yet again, but he knows my interest well, and has provided me with much photographic material on the Maidenhead and High Wycombe areas, for which I am pleased to once more thank him!

Nick, your results always amaze me, well done on the fantastic fiddle yards!

Best regards

Paul

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ChrisN said:

Thanks Chris.

I remember crossing over the Wycombe branch regularly, in the early 1970s, on the new M40 Loudwater viaduct, when the track was still in place - though that part of the line was closed.

My only trip over the line was in 1973 when the local railway group arranged a Sunday steam service to commemorate the centenary of the Marlow branch. 6998 'Burton Agnes Hall' and 61xx 6106 topped and tailed one shuttle train between Maidenhead and Bourne End, while 14xx 1450 worked an autotrain between Bourne End and Marlow.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, checkrail said:

What a fantastic and ever so enviable fiddle yard!  Loads of scope for mainline action which we look forward to seeing.

Thanks John.

I've still plenty of work ahead before I can hope to approach the visual splendour that is Stoke Courtenay.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

12 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

ChrisN,

I too have an interest in the High Wycombe to Maidenhead line, although my interest is a wee bit more modern covering the period 1960-now! (Yes, I know the line was taken up between Bourne End and High Wycombe in the 1970s!)

I was planning an 00 model in 12ft x 8ft of the Relief lines and start of the branch at Maidenhead.

However, it is not something I have the skill to do myself, and had found people to make it for me, but unfortunately Covid meant they felt it too complicated to undertake in uncertain times and we settled on another part of the Wycombe Railway. This is Thame on the Oxford extension with a second phase being a cut down version of High Wycombe.

This is now nearing construction and having been four years in a house which gave me a suitable space for a layout, I became a bit frustrated, so, after many years of planning, I have just taken delivery of an interim fictional end to end layout which I am calling Wycombe End!

If you would like to see my efforts so far, please have a look at my Thread "Lower Thames Yard"! (Taster below,)

1521637955_PaulPHOTO-2021-01-10-14-55-24-01.jpg.8886df89c439f62845417acffa45225a.jpg

Apologies to Nick for hijacking his thread yet again, but he knows my interest well, and has provided me with much photographic material on the Maidenhead and High Wycombe areas, for which I am pleased to once more thank him!

Nick, your results always amaze me, well done on the fantastic fiddle yards!

Best regards

Paul

Thanks Paul and you're welcome for the photos.

I'm glad that you've now got your own project off the ground.

• Like 2

The sharp-eyed may have noticed a couple of red locomotives lurking in the storage loops in some of my recent photos.

DO NOT BE ALARMED!

These are, of course, two members of the LMS 'Castle' class, built at Swindon in 1927 following the successful trials, on the West Coast main line, with  5000'Launceston Castle' in 1927. As is well known, as a result, the LMS asked the GWR to build them 50 'Castles'.

Secretly Swindon despatched the first two new builds from Swindon in the early hours of Friday 1st April. Under the cover of darkness they took the Badminton line, through the Severn tunnel, turning right at Newport, and along the Welsh Marches to Shrewsbury, before branching off for Crewe, arriving at the works in time for breakfast. When the morning shift clocked on at the paint shop they were ready for application of their new livery, numbers and nameplates. One became 6100 'Carlisle Castle' and the other 6101 with the name kept under wraps pending an official naming ceremony by the company Chairman.

When the dignitaries had assembled around the dust sheet covered locomotive a hush descended and the great man steeped forwards, gave some profound words of wisdom and pulled a cord, causing the great locomotive to be revealed, in all its splendour.

During the celebratory gathering afterwards the Chairman was approached by the LMS Chief Accountant. 

"Sir, it would appear we have a problem. We have received the bill for these first two locomotives and it would appear that they have cost as much as three of our Crewe built locomotives."

One of the  guests, an elderly gentleman, with the appearance of a country squire stepped forward and, in his rich Devon accent, interjected, "Because one of ours could pull two of your bloody things backwards!"

Nevertheless, it was discovered that the LMS had not made sufficient funds available for the purchase of 50 high quality 'Castles' and subsequently the rest of the order was cancelled and 6100 and 6101 returned to Swindon, again, under cover of darkness.

A few weeks later the next batch of 'new' GWR  'Castles' emerged from Swindon. Few though realised that 5003 'Lulworth Castle' and 5004 'Llanstephen Castle' had formerly carried alternative identities.

History records that the LMS was subsequently forced to borrow some second hand drawings to enable them to have a number of cheap 4-6-0s cobbled together, with each missing one cylinder, to help save costs.

6101 is seen, shortly after the naming ceremony:P1280294b.jpg.c0f4a9ab280b8ff5b51abdb29b60b4dd.jpg

Edited by Nick Gough
Replacing photos
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Funny 1

In reality I bought four of these Harry Potter Castles, cheap, long before the current Hornby version appeared, with the intention of repainting and improving them.

Obviously, they are not to the same standard as a new one but they run nicely, and don't look too bad on the move, so I will probably carry out my original plan in due course.P1280295.JPG.c870adbbc19ef0c7bd1b06185312c04e.JPGP1280302.JPG.42e6fe1950987e7b60ec2e94797bf1b4.JPG

Edited by Nick Gough
Replacing photos
  • Like 5

Back at the station area;

P1280303.JPG.34401571c5e0f331a430fb55049743af.JPG

I have used one of the offcuts from Moulsford Bridge:

P1280306.JPG.f0de76a893ef2a4a4e0cb21c5ae525d4.JPG

to create a small shelf;

P1280307.JPG.0d3d3d5332fa4b449b649aae6b287806.JPG

no, not for my coffee mug:P1280310.JPG.32836d7200bb53ae33d9338c30ab45b0.JPG

This is where the main station building will sit, next to the embankment (when I get round to making it!):

362944275_Mainbuildentrance.jpg.f69667fd16418e47a2437c6c80f37430.jpg

In the meantime this is my card mock-up:P1280309.JPG.791f946ac10a16ef801877abad8c06e7.JPG

It's sitting a bit lower than the proper model will go as I have allowed an extra half inch of depth, in the shelf's position, so that I will be able to 'bury' it into the station forecourt.

Edited by Nick Gough
  • Like 10

On 01/02/2021 at 18:24, RJS1977 said:

Seems strange to think it's over a year since I've been in that building :-(

I made a quick visit to the station last September, after making a photo survey of Moulsford bridge, although I didn't go inside:

P1270465.jpg.39f0c9b46546b347ef66550d2009c172.jpgP1270466.jpg.92c883067db451521bd1787ed67d0b11.jpg

Hopefully, in a few months, it will be possible to get back in there.

Edited by Nick Gough
  • Like 5

I passed through on a train to/from Didcot back in July and haven't been there since. Although I made a number op visits to the C&WR in Aug/Sept/Oct, they were all up the other end of the line.

I suspect when we do reopen the Railway, services are likely to be round trips from Wallingford only for a while (at least while we get passenger direction, bookings and cleaning sorted out). However another volunteer and I do have plans for our ticket office at Cholsey which will give it a more heritage look and make it more covid secure at the same time!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RJS1977 said:

However another volunteer and I do have plans for our ticket office at Cholsey which will give it a more heritage look and make it more covid secure at the same time!

Sounds interesting.

Am I right in thinking that you use the room at the top of the stairs, opposite the entrance onto the platform?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nick Gough said:

I expect the door has had a repaint since I took this though:299063158_Storedoor.jpg.ea47d549a21e6e2a7f77a249c6085a73.jpg

Yes, and thereby hangs a tale....

One of our volunteers (who works for GWR) got permission to repaint it in the appropriate heritage colours, which he did, and it looked quite nice.

A few months later GWR's painters came along and painted it green! :-(

However we do now have plenty of appropriate paint left over from the canopy at Wallingford, so maybe we can change it back.....

• Friendly/supportive 4